pg/sg 55

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

D-Train
DSKer

Re: pg/sg 55

Post by D-Train »

vanell wrote:I’m going have to push you to start the inevitable, you got to start on the outriggers, floor, sills, b pillars, an c pillars ,gotta get that bottom 6 inches done, that’s the starting point, you’ve been dodging it, do l have to come around there and give you a good talking to! I’m miles away but only a phone call away for help, Ian
Ha, yeah.. it’s more the time I need and not the motivation. The small bits I can do with the kids goin nuts so it’s jot that bad, but stopping every time I start to chase one from going in the dam wears thin quickly. I’ve got a lot of the underside panels, need the $$ to get the rest of them. And figure out which ones are the less work to fit also.

I also accidentally smashed my gas bottle reg, so need a new one. Damn...
splitthis wrote:What was the magic solution D-train? Coming up great.
KBS rust blast in a white bottle. Supposed to leave a zinc phosphorus coating on it also. Non corrosive which is good. I still sprayed them with lanox afterwards to keep them from rusting again.
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Another small job tackled and ticked off the list. The Po made a dodgy set up for the latch to work because of some reason, so I thought I’d fix the problem.

Dodgy latch.

Opening

Crap

Made new pins

Works

Made new spring. 1st one was a test subject out of piano wire, thanks issac and nathan for the goods!

Installed.

Has good tension and hopefully will last, so closed up and welded shut!

Job done for now! It’s hidden so no one will see how ugly it is. Haha
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

That's awesome work :D
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

You're turning into some kind of a "Metal working Guru"!! Nice work
61 dc
67 beetle
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Thnaks doodes. Not a guru yet. Just tinkering and accepting challenges as they come along. It’s been fun figuring out how to save the original parts instead of just buying a new one...
fly life
DSKer

Post by fly life »

Nice work on those doors 8)
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Few things ticked off. Rear hatch removed, 80% of the screws came out without a problem, the others had to be drilled. Damn.

High pressure cleaned the engine bay, can’t tell but it’s cleaner which is good. Needs some repairs to certain parts but overall solid.

Also got stuck into the passenger side cargo floor, in between screaming kids and other things..

Now to decide wether to do both sides and all structural parts or salvage what’s there and repair/fix what is needed.
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Lovin seeing some progress mate
The more I kept cutting on mine the more rust I kept finding
Keep at it buddy while u got your mo joe going
Going to be a killer bus
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

Now we're seeing the real work, cut it all out and start from scratch. imo
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Now going both sides, just for piece of mind.
Saving the floor plates for the 6 legged tho. Need to make up some for the passenger side. The others were gone.

And gone.

Amazing the crud build up in the sills. All dirt, but the long side sill still looks reasonably solid
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

D-Train wrote:Amazing the crud build up in the sills.
Now imagine your own lungs after about 65 years :lol:
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Been hunting for a while now after discovering the handbrake was shot. Found some late ones but not right for the bus.

Brad had told me he had a floor cut that may be the correct one, sent some pics and a deal was made. Got the whole cut out of it because the one in it won’t budge and has bent the mounts trying to get it out, so I’ll do the whole thing!
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Wow that other one was toast, how does a handbrake rust like that and the rest of the bus is somewhat more rust free
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

This bus is coming up so nice Dion, love the way your pulling shit apart and refurbish it. In 30-40 years some old mates going to get his hands on this bus and think it’s so ‘untouched’ :)

Good on all
Cheers
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

braddick wrote:Wow that other one was toast, how does a handbrake rust like that and the rest of the bus is somewhat more rust free
No idea hey. I was going to try to rebuild it, but thought fuck it I’ll try to find one.

spl65t wrote:This bus is coming up so nice Dion, love the way your pulling shit apart and refurbish it. In 30-40 years some old mates going to get his hands on this bus and think it’s so ‘untouched’ :)

Good on all
Cheers
Linz
Thanks Linz, little will they know it would of been touched by me like george pell touches...... ummm too soon?