pg/sg 55

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

D-Train
DSKer

Re: pg/sg 55

Post by D-Train »

splitthis wrote:I bought one and it fits like a glove. In theory should be amazing, no lateral movement at all at the front and it will last for ever.
did you update the front hanger to the later style to accommodate the bush? the early ones are snug and the M spring gets the tension on the rod as required, or until it wears them all out anyway.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

splitthis wrote:Looking good mate. I know you’re going super OG but if you’re hanger doesn’t work consider one of these, way better than any of the OG set ups and will outlast us both.
528178EC-6FAD-41F5-AF25-715814F34A40.png
Super OG!, I sometimes think you just make this up
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

D-Train wrote:
splitthis wrote:I bought one and it fits like a glove. In theory should be amazing, no lateral movement at all at the front and it will last for ever.
did you update the front hanger to the later style to accommodate the bush? the early ones are snug and the M spring gets the tension on the rod as required, or until it wears them all out anyway.
If you actually measure an early and late hanger taking into account on the early with the M spring the shift rod is at the bottom of the ring they are the same height. I had read all about them being different and requiring packing etc but when I measured with calipers they are the same. I wonder if it’s a mix up with early and late shifters which are different lengths between the cup and the ball.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

vanell wrote:
splitthis wrote:Looking good mate. I know you’re going super OG but if you’re hanger doesn’t work consider one of these, way better than any of the OG set ups and will outlast us both.
528178EC-6FAD-41F5-AF25-715814F34A40.png
Super OG!, I sometimes think you just make this up
You’ll never know the things that go on in this head mate :lol: :lol:
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

splitthis wrote:
D-Train wrote:
If you actually measure an early and late hanger taking into account on the early with the M spring the shift rod is at the bottom of the ring they are the same height. I had read all about them being different and requiring packing etc but when I measured with calipers they are the same. I wonder if it’s a mix up with early and late shifters which are different lengths between the cup and the ball.
There is a notable difference between the early to late of a few mm, the later ones are bigger to accommodate The plastic bush that goes into them, The early ones have a turned in edge which houses the hockey stick and intern the big M spring puts pressure on it so it sits hard up against the bottom of it. So I can see how the silicon bronze bush would fit well in the later ones but there’s no way in hell of getting him into the early ones. I have heard and read that you can swap The hangers around so the early bus takes the later hanger and the upgraded plastic bush instead of the m spring. The hole for the shaft is in the same spot on both later an early hangers.So if I’m not impressed with the early one that I’ve repaired I have a spare later hanger which I will swap it out for and then I’ll decide whether to use the silicon bronze bush or plastic bush.
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

heres a couple of pics of them for reference
id
late

early

they are close in shape and location of hole, just the id of the hole and the shape is about the main differences. ive red up that people have even used the later hanger on barndoors to utilize the upgraded mods.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

D-Train wrote:
splitthis wrote:
D-Train wrote:
There is a notable difference between the early to late of a few mm, the later ones are bigger to accommodate The plastic bush that goes into them, The early ones have a turned in edge which houses the hockey stick and intern the big M spring puts pressure on it so it sits hard up against the bottom of it. So I can see how the silicon bronze bush would fit well in the later ones but there’s no way in hell of getting him into the early ones. I have heard and read that you can swap The hangers around so the early bus takes the later hanger and the upgraded plastic bush instead of the m spring. The hole for the shaft is in the same spot on both later an early hangers.So if I’m not impressed with the early one that I’ve repaired I have a spare later hanger which I will swap it out for and then I’ll decide whether to use the silicon bronze bush or plastic bush.
Sorry I obviously wasn’t clear. That’s what I was saying, if you’re not happy with your hanger replace with the later one and run the bronze bush. The shift rod ends up in the same position weather you use the early m-spring hanger or the later bushes hanger. There were some M spring repros getting about at one stage but they have been hard to get unless someone else is doing them now?
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

splitthis wrote:
D-Train wrote:
splitthis wrote:
Sorry I obviously wasn’t clear. That’s what I was saying, if you’re not happy with your hanger replace with the later one and run the bronze bush. The shift rod ends up in the same position weather you use the early m-spring hanger or the later bushes hanger. There were some M spring repros getting about at one stage but they have been hard to get unless someone else is doing them now?

I have a nos m spring for the early one. But yes, that’s my plan. Still undecided about the sb bush tho. Wonder if it will rattle much.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

It won’t rattle because it’s a snug fit. There’s no movement within the bush, it’s a perfect fit.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I recon it will rattle, maybe you 2 can do comparisons when you both get your buses going? When are you getting them going again?
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

vanell wrote:I recon it will rattle, maybe you 2 can do comparisons when you both get your buses going? When are you getting them going again?

Dion and I are perfectionists, we could both have finished ages ago if we had the same low standards as the rest of you 8) :lol:
Ged
DSKer

Post by Ged »

That’s classic
Ged

57 11window project
64 Standard Beetle
69 Lowlight
70 CB100 x 2
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

splitthis wrote:
vanell wrote:I recon it will rattle, maybe you 2 can do comparisons when you both get your buses going? When are you getting them going again?

Dion and I are perfectionists, we could both have finished ages ago if we had the same low standards as the rest of you 8) :lol:

Perfectionist or get easily sidetracked??
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Perfectly sidetracked??
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

splitthis wrote:Perfectly sidetracked??

Done!