The Banana Split

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

martinigreenbus
DSKer

The Banana Split

Post by martinigreenbus »

With a bit of an intro, here's a story about a kombi and some resto work that is only going to grow....

Once upon a time, a bunch of people parked their buses on a farm in the Grampians, a hilly and ruggedly beautiful area of SW Victoria. They lived in peace I guess, 'cause generally that's what Hippie's do.

At some stage after they may or may not have been arrested for the world's first mobile meth-amphetamine laboratories based on an un-assuming farm, some local kids discovered the joys of a .22 rifle. The green and weiss bus took most of the hits.... and as the kids grew, it appears the cailibre of their rifles did too. There even appears to be a couple of elephant gun sized holes in it ...

If that wasn't enough, an enterprising agriculturalist decided his broad acre cropping scheme could benefit from broader acres, and promptly pushed this bus, and the four other buses into a tree out of the way of his Chamberlain powered cropping device....

Oh what a shame farmer Joe !! ... with some vision, your days bouncing up and down on a non suspended rural vehicle could have been much shorter if you had of placed these friendly faced people carriers in some kind of a sheletered workspace.

Anyway, I digressed.... which happens a lot :wink: At some stage Farmer Joe has been relieved of his crop of kombi's and they ended up a couple of hundred Km's to the nord ost in benpondigo with a VW enthusiast. He enthusiastically listed the harvest on EBay and time took it's course..... and I ended up with the bus.....

Here it is where I first found it after being crowned the proud owner by EBay on a nailbiting finishing between me and an unknown opponent...

So I pulled it home to big town and it sat there for a while..... Much like John Muir recommended, I look objectively at any new VW purchase I am contemplating. I did look at the blue fluff in my navel for quite a while. There were some parts of this bus that were going to be salvaged for the repair that is yet to start of the other green and weiss 11 window that I got from Headstone Tony a few years ago, mainly the floor area above the engine which is r.s. in the artist formerly known as Rusty.... here he is here if you haven't met him before.....

So these two almost brother buses sat next to each other for a while, warm and cosy and undercover, sharing lice and other insects for nourishment, recalling the days that seemed to be a memory.... the free love, naked nipples rolling around in the sunshine of summer's warmth... those were the days I'm told.....

They remembered the days when those more sisterly versions used to kiss whilst sharing steins of bier... ohh the days have rolled onwards.

At certain times very enthusiastic potential Kombi enthusiasts were offered the prize of possesing this for no more than the Original purchase price and the cost of retreiving it, maybe plus 10% :wink: ..., plus GST, Carbon Price Mechanism etc... but for some strange reason, they all declined :roll: :lol:

So a while ago, G Fresh George comes back to roost after a long time working away, keeping the machines that eat and rape the ground alive, to a more solid workplace which is within driving distance of his family.... a bonus...

He takes some space in the front wing of the infamous Benpondigo Squadron bunkers of goodness and his evil mind starts ticking over..... how he can grow the infant Fresh Kustoms into a globally recognised brand of goodness......

:idea:

We have a chat and hatch a plot to let the pictures do the talking.... The Green and White bus from the Grampians has now become known worldwide as the Banana Split; the official name change by deed poll was confirmed at midnight last night ..... Once again it took the armchair ride back to a shed not very far from the place where our eyes first met.....

It'll be peeled back and refreshed into a road registered driving mobile billboard of the kind of work that one can expect to see roll out of the Fresh Kustoms workshops of the future.... Cue the FK logo, which is not what this bus will look like once completed..... der... the banana split has windows :wink:

Here's some pictures that indicates what lies ahead..... A pathway of madness or possibility ??? You decide for yourself.......

So far the honour roll is limited to a handful of people, but once I've had a chat with Jor-ge, we might expand that idea a little....

Mainebugs and Tiff helped get it onto the trailer in the first place.
Tonz saved it from being cut with a plan to perhaps 8/Ball or St George style it for a future DOVW...
G Fresh for hatching the plan.....
Breno the bro in law of Fresh for some catchy images ;)

We need to talk George 8) b4 Valla ;)
PASHN8
DSKer

Post by PASHN8 »

Looking forward to seeing this one progress Brent :)
http://www.dinography.com.au - Dino!

'57 11-Window Kombi
'54 3-Fold Sunroof Oval
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Nicely put. Right people for the right job. 8)
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
paul willans
DSKer

Post by paul willans »

very poetic
clk500 AMG
64 s Notch
57 Boronia Brown bus
59 Pmg ute
62 Beryl Green bus
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Nice story.

George has his work cut out there but I'm sure he'll do it.
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

Whenever my family moan about the "wreck" i have, i will pull out this photo and show them that mne could of been a whole heap worse....

Good on you for letting it live again, look forward to watching the progress.
GFresh
DSKer

Post by GFresh »

Dibsy wrote:Whenever my family moan about the "wreck" i have, i will pull out this photo and show them that mine could of been a whole lot worse
I never thought about that as a benefit for anyone else, awesome

I'm anticipating getting into this within the next month so there will be some good updates coming your way soon

Cheers, George

:wink:
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

i dont understand.

did they have a meth lab?

r they still cooking?
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

Thats sweet 8) will have to keep an eye on this one, good luck George 8)
Rusty.
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

i know where there are some parts :lol:
http://mirrorimageweddings.com.au/
I am seatless none nudda zero zilch, have some lefties seeing that's the flavour of the month :oops:
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Sorry...
Didnt hear a word you said after pic. 5....

8) but hot...
Wanted..Barny bits or 60's Supercharger other than Judson
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Yeh pic 5 is great, another split project i would love to get into :shock: , looking forward to the build up of the bus.. 8)
Senator Rust
DSKer

Post by Senator Rust »

Does this mean you have room for more finds in your shed?
1966 21 window, still awaiting resto
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

haha, trying to get yours inside as we speak.... maybe this weekend ;)

had the cover off on Sunday, was a nice sunny day for a while 8)
Senator Rust
DSKer

Post by Senator Rust »

No worries Brent.

Have agreat time at Valla.
1966 21 window, still awaiting resto