Trial paint/Primer cover up for Valla....

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

KombiMadness
DSKer

Trial paint/Primer cover up for Valla....

Post by KombiMadness »

OK, so my OG paint 15 window has had a donor front clip grafted on which came from a green coloured Kombi and it was sprayed with grey primer by PO. I'm thinking about paint for the near future and most people are saying preserve the OG paint and blend in. I'm considering that but I'm also considering a full respray in the same factory colours - SWR/BG.

Meanwhile, the grey primer on the nose was giving me the shits so I went to a Glasurit paint supplier and asked the paint guy to mix me up some pressure packs in SWR but I wanted them to look faded like the rest of the bus. I unscrewed the vent cover and gave it to him and he also came out to check the Kombi out. He ended up mixing to the Glasurit codes for L53 (SWR) and putting 30% flattener in it.

Now my brother is a tradesman spraypainter since he was 15 and an expert colour matcher but I didn't want to hassle him for such a small job. The nose will have to be repainted again anyway - either blended in or resprayed properly after some dents are attended to, so I wasn't too worried if my pressure pack experiment wasn't quite right and ANYTHING is better than grey primer!

I ended up calling my brother anyway because I wasn't confident in masking a consistent curve for the nose 2 tone - he told me I should've just brought the bus to him in the 1st place and could've easily colour matched the faded OG paint and blended it. And yes, I should've....

The 30% flattener was a mistake because all it did was make the good Glasurit SWR look like dull red primer. My brother fixed that as best he could with some wet weather thinners and clear coat.... which made it heaps better. But he said don't put my name with this job! :lol:

It's good to experiment (remember the front clip isn't original to MY bus and had to be painted anyway) and it gives me a better idea of what new shiny paint would look like Vs OG blended in.....

So here's a few pics, did I mention it was pissing down and I had to drive home again?! :x

My bro reluctantly helping me out....

Masked up with the grey primer that was already there!

Paint shop guy gave me wrong advice! 30% flattener won't match faded OG paint; you've gotta colour match the faded pigments & texture in the OG paint says my Bro - well, now I know...

Second coat, still looking crap like red primer...

Starting to look a bit better... see the rain pissing down; not the best day to be painting!

And better still...

Bare in mind, the white on the nose isn't the correct Beige Grey either. But overall I'm happy for a temporary job and anything to cover the grey primer. Should have listened to my brother and let him colour match... but as I said, it'll be getting repainted in the near future anyway!
Last edited by KombiMadness on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

still looks good Markus ,sweet as....
blink
DSKer

Post by blink »

hey

how did that door go?

I know you were trying to clean it up when i was on the phone to you

Plus im sending you a PM now
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

nothing wrong with that looks great
Straight axle is better than IRS
matara
Admin

Post by matara »

Looks way better.
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Yeah, it does look way better especially since it was from a pressure pack and not a spray gun. And it cost me bugger all - just the pressure packs, my brother worked for family rates = I took him for coffee while the paint dried... :lol:

Hey Blink, the door cleaned up really nice! I used oven cleaner and a razor blade but what really did the trick was 1500 wet n dry. Used a bit of cutting compound and it came up great...
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

So now that it's stopped raining finally, here's a photo with a comparison of the front doors with OG faded SWR and nose with new Glasurit SWR....

The lovely assistant is my wife, Amber :D