21 window- in the beginning

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Steve Keeley
DSKer

Re: 21 window- in the beginning

Post by Steve Keeley »

oops, these are photos of my NOS sunroof headliner, the others I will need to resize! But progress I will document soon - front end rebuilt, gearbox ditto (thanks to Andrew Champness), more pics soon.
the invisible and the non existent look very much alike!
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Looking good Steve! The end is near.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
Steve Keeley
DSKer

Post by Steve Keeley »

As mentioned- aero papyrus seat covers from Corey Bloom, blacklog on the samba- sewn by matt Miller who also sewed the sunroof cover I will use, sunroof mechanism cleaned and rebuilt by me- mostly original parts tho Grump's provided the nylon sliders. The tension strap material is that used by vertical blind manufacturers- offcuts so negligible cost, test fit on the bus to confirm movement All 6 Pop outs- original sekurit, WCM glass to frame seals gave the best and neatest look .
Bus now in primer- will have some picks soon. The end is in sight- tho it should damn well be!
Attachments
DSCN1767[1].jpg
DSCN1759[1].jpg
DSCN1768[1].jpg
DSCN1771[1].jpg
DSCN1772[1].jpg
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I do remember that we made a pack at the last Valla that we would be driving our buses to the next Valla in 2020, maybe we were drinking that night but I think we should stick to it, would be awesome to see this finished Steve, and im sure it will be stunning, Ian
colin elmer
DSKer

Post by colin elmer »

Great to see Steve long time indeed, I cant remember drinking at Valla!
Steve Keeley
DSKer

Post by Steve Keeley »

I think Ian may have a memory less clouded than some!! I have vague recollections of a (dare I say alcohol fuelled) late night pact of sorts with the suggestion coming from a certain long haired musician of dubious background- Matt should remember...... oh, wait I forgot- he bailed!
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Steve Keeley wrote: Matt should remember...... oh, wait I forgot- he bailed!
That’s a low blow Steve!
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
Steve Keeley
DSKer

Post by Steve Keeley »

To make it up to you Matt- some more being picks! 12 volt clock, I have had it for more then 20 yrs! The original was 6 volt, long since sold! Cleaned , oiled with light weight oil- I used 3 in 1; checked and reassembled. I did repaint the outer surround- camouflage green in Humbrol enamel from a model shop, and the hands redone in white. Now looks the goods!
The gr4ab handles and other deluxe trim came in a colour called steel - unique to the sea blue 66 & 67 deluxe bus. One piece is NOS, the rest painted with SEM colour matched by crash supplies in Adelaide. Pick the NOS piece!
Attachments
DSCN1798.JPG
DSCN1796.JPG
DSCN1795.JPG
DSCN1792.JPG
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Looks really good Steve.

Was the trim colour the same for micro buses as well as deluxes? (just asking for my period correct '67 micro bus camper :lol: )
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Steve Keeley
DSKer

Post by Steve Keeley »

Michael, the most common interior for the sea blue/cumulus white colour scheme I have seen in Oz busses is the salt and pepper trim known as mash grey. The grab handles were a slight off white - the silver beige colour.
The aero papyrus scheme used in my bus is because it is a Euro import , originally RHD and imported by the German immigrant when he emigrated. Even so, the steel colour for the trim is not always seen in picks of other busses with this colour scheme. In fact, the double trim piece you see in the picks I bought a while ago and was silver beige. My original was too sun damaged.
Steve Keeley
DSKer

Post by Steve Keeley »

some more progress: and a neat idea found on the inter web to remove anodising from aluminium trim.
The caliper bracket is for a CSP disc set up- I am keeping the original 14" wheels; the trim anodising trick- plastic guttering, water and caustic soda- in one image you can see the bubbling. No more than 10 minutes or so needed. There is a before and after image- no sanding or polishing.
Makes the trim polishing a lot quicker- I remember how much time it took me to polish some trim of a long gone bus, most of that removing the anodising.
Attachments
DSCN1802.jpg
DSCN1801.jpg
DSCN1803.jpg
DSCN1800.jpg
DSCN1799.jpg
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Steve, did your bus come with 14” or 15” wheels?
Steve Keeley
DSKer

Post by Steve Keeley »

Dion, it has 14" wheels- its a German origin, Euro import brought to Australia in RHD by the first owner when he emigrated.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Steve Keeley wrote:Michael, the most common interior for the sea blue/cumulus white colour scheme I have seen in Oz busses is the salt and pepper trim known as mash grey. The grab handles were a slight off white - the silver beige colour.
The aero papyrus scheme used in my bus is because it is a Euro import , originally RHD and imported by the German immigrant when he emigrated. Even so, the steel colour for the trim is not always seen in picks of other busses with this colour scheme. In fact, the double trim piece you see in the picks I bought a while ago and was silver beige. My original was too sun damaged.
Mine is also a German bus (microbus with M plate and 14 inch wheels, delivered to Ramsgate and then coverted by Canterbury Pitt.) Would this change you answer?

PS: You seem to getting a wriggle on with yours now :D
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
rusty 55
DSKer

Post by rusty 55 »

Yep all euro busses came with 14” rims (same as early bay) at start of the 64 model year.
it’s got nuffin to do wiv yer “vor sprung Durch technic” ya know!