... And so it begins.

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

kombi niko
DSKer

Re: ... And so it begins.

Post by kombi niko »

looking good mate!!, I noticed your gearbox mount has a ring part on it, is that a normal mount? Mine doesn't have it. Also where did you get the red nolethane coupler from?
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

kombi niko wrote:looking good mate!!, I noticed your gearbox mount has a ring part on it, is that a normal mount? Mine doesn't have it. Also where did you get the red nolethane coupler from?

Thank you... :wink:

I bought the front mount from Wagenswest. It a conversion mount to fit a type 1 gearbox in an early (<1958) kombi. The Coupler was bought from CSP but I'm sure you'll find that a few suppliers do a similar coupler.
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
65 Izh Jupiter with side car
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Yeah, that's Nate's Lollipop front mount. I've got one too. It's a simple solution and doesn't move the tranny back 10mm or so like other adapters, which can cause issues.

Nice Kombi and good resto thread :D Keep up the good work.
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

KombiMadness wrote:Yeah, that's Nate's Lollipop front mount. I've got one too. It's a simple solution and doesn't move the tranny back 10mm or so like other adapters, which can cause issues.

Nice Kombi and good resto thread :D Keep up the good work.
Thank you...
Had a little hour on the brakes this evening. Gave the backing plates a coating of black enamel and started to reassemble the new pistons and stars. The new brake pads and spring kit should arrive in a few days. Then should have everything together for the weekends assembley of the rear end. I plan to get the engine back in by then. Fingerz crossed.
Attachments
Well... You didn't think I was going to leave them blue!
Well... You didn't think I was going to leave them blue!
140708 - Resto 001.jpg
140708 - Resto 002.jpg
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Fathermarc wrote:
Had a little hour on the brakes this evening. Gave the backing plates a coating of black enamel .....

What type, brand of enamel did you use?
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

KombiMadness wrote:
Fathermarc wrote:
Had a little hour on the brakes this evening. Gave the backing plates a coating of black enamel .....

What type, brand of enamel did you use?
I use the cheapest Supercheap sells. :wink: $3.50 I started using it for sealing the insides of panels and new box sections I was welding in. It works really well when heated. I put the smaller stuff in the oven @ 80 degrees to harden iit up. Good fot the foot pedals and gear stick.
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

140712-Resto

Due to the 12th of July being my birthday. I was only allowed to work four hours in the morning. I fitted the newly refurbished 68 five wide drums. Connected up the drive shafts. Fitted the handbrake cable. Then realised I had to shorten them as they were bay window and the split cable is 100mm too short. Fitted the wheels and got the little baby back on the ground and rolling. It's a lot lower to the ground now. It was a bit freaky and at first and to tell you the truth, I wasn't sure that I preferred it over the stock ride height. After a few Bday drinks though I was feeling very proud of my low rider and preceded to show all my Bday guests.

The rest of the weekend was a rite off and Nadya and I spent the Sunday walking from Bronte to Coogee stopping for a picnic at Gordon's Bay. On arrival at Coogee we opened a bottle of Red and by the time we reached Bronte again we opened the second bottle. Really nice Bday weekend, relaxing and spending time with family and friends.

Photos:
Attachments
140712-Resto 004.jpg
140712-Resto 003.jpg
140712-Resto 002.jpg
140712-Resto 001.jpg
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Looks the biz! ,wait until you load her full of gear, It will drop an inch.
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

067DUB wrote:Looks the biz! ,wait until you load her full of gear, It will drop an inch.
Thanks Man!
I have to fit the engine in next and then the front end to do next. I am running out of time before we move to the new house. So Will get the engine in and the brakes operational before the journey on a flat bed trailer.
Too much to do in too little time.
Are your just about ready for Valla?
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Sounds good man, yeah I was done a week ago.. Now building a beetle :)
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

067DUB wrote:Sounds good man, yeah I was done a week ago.. Now building a beetle :)
Post some images of both vehicle. Have a great time at Valla you lucky bugger. :lol:
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

140714-Resto
Tonight I replaced the heater control cables. I took some doing. Had to bore out the end as it was full of old crud. Used a twisted wire and grease to free up the inside of the guide tubes where they terminate near the engine. Also measured up for new brake cables 300mm shorter than a standard 68 bays cables. Measured up for new tie rods, 500mm fixed rods & 445mm adj. rod length.
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

140714-Resto
Tonight I replaced the heater control cables. I took some doing. Had to bore out the end as it was full of old crud. Used a twisted wire and grease to free up the inside of the guide tubes where they terminate near the engine. Also measured up for new brake cables 300mm shorter than a standard 68 bays cables. Measured up for new tie rods, 500mm fixed rods & 445mm adj. rod length.
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

double, sorry..
Last edited by 067DUB on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Fathermarc wrote:
067DUB wrote:Sounds good man, yeah I was done a week ago.. Now building a beetle :)
Post some images of both vehicle. Have a great time at Valla you lucky bugger. :lol:
Not many of the bus lately,

The 68, should be a few weeks to finish.