My 15

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

blink
DSKer

Re: My 15

Post by blink »

I have been following this for quite awhile on a few different forums.
This bus is soo cool i love what you are doing.

I could be wrong but he was in england and then more jobs to new zealand and took the buss with him.
sorry if im wrong.

keep up the awesome work mate

cheers Matt
kombi niko
DSKer

Post by kombi niko »

Great built, love the air bags :)
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

Will definetley be keeping a keen eye on this build! Nice work :)
Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

Hey guys thanks for the kind words..

Yes im originally Essex boy UK and we emigrated to NZ using Aussy perm resident visa :lol: (not many do it that way im sure)

I originally hail from The SBS forum cause what I planned for my bus would fit right in there 8)
Lee

The lord is not my shepherd for I am not a sheep....
Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

whilst i had the welder out i filled those holes around the gutter where i think they had one of the aluminuim gutter extenders :roll:

next up was removeing the door pins as they need changing for the bigger ones to stop the play so i can start the arch replacements etc..

going well then......oh dear!

hopefully i can get hold of a repair section that incorporates the lower hindge?

Then onto the doghouse tin

Oh dear daddy what have you done!

i won the on the bay!

gonna sort this (i hope) :roll:

just gotta get it snug. probly not the best way to sort this but the panel i won had a dent in the end so i have to get the gaps spot on :shock:

Thats as far as i got with this today as my Dad dropped by to weld his trailer...
It used to be twice as high like a U haul type setup so hes trimmed it down so he can drag it behind his T25

Cause i was kinda involved in the bus he felt as though he should use the welder...

I felt bad after seeing this and stepped in :lol:

Lee

Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

Today i continued with my dash repair

So my top tip Vinegar :shock: if ya not in a hurry to start on your rusty panel, soak it in the Vinegar

After a day or two you end up with a clean peice to work with :wink:

Needed to brace it a bit to keep it flush..

Dont ya just love it when you find the right tool for the job! :D

Just like new.... must say im well happy with the outcome.. the gaps a pretty much bang on :drinkers:

Lee

Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

So past few days ive been fitting the rag roof 8)

Obviously this is a dry fit to claim the holes and check its all good before i remove for paint etc :shock: (long way off i know)

Started on the ali sides and rails etc

This is the layout up front

After thats in place i had to lay in the cross members that slide inside, one end is pre made the other is to be trimmed and fitted, (as this roof is for many types of vehicle)

Once the front one is done things got a bit quicker

Once the shape is near enough there i fitted the other nylon slider, had to counter sink the top side so to have a flush sit for the rag..

Once i was happy with the bends on all cross members i fitted them to the rag,

I layed out masking tap to press the studs onto to leave a mark so i could fitted the bottom part of the stud.

With the interior handle thing fitted.

And sorted for when fully open

The rear still is a bit loose as this last section needs fitting on finished paint..

Lee

Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

Not a very interesting update but a update nether the less :roll:

Got myself a media blaster thingy... so set my self up a little zone for cleaning up some bits..

Whilst working away my compressor kept stopping when i say stopping i mean not building up the pressre again... turns out it runs and drives itself along the floor till it unplugs itself :lol: quite anoying when ya geared up and engrossed in the job :twisted:

so once it was secured down it cleaned up my gearbox a treat.sorry for the lack of before pics but i forgot :oops:

.Image

didnt get finish but you get the idea :wink:

Pretty un exciting update here as im doing odds and sods whilst waiting on my metal..

So bay tank took a clean up too

fixed this

exposed my spot welds in prep for lifting the floor on Sunday

Oh and i scored a new cargo door whaich is in very good condition however i need to hand this to check as you can see slightly different to my Barn door type cargo..

Oh and if you aint seen this section its worth a laugh :lol:

Lee

Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

Hi guys

Only got a little time out today as half the day had gone once i recovered from the night before :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :rolleyes:

I pulled my Bay sender apart to see why there was no continuity.

Thought better of fabbing a copper repair section so wrote this unit off :roll:

Then i made a gasket so i could finish my gearbox

WoooHooo new stuff alert :D

Didn't expect to win these but did at what i believe a bit of a bargain :D when i picked them up the guy wouldn't let go of the box :lol: :lol:

I think they are pretty much complete (i hope) any recommendations on these as i dont know nowt about carbs :oops:

Woo hoo more new stuff alert :D

6x framless popouts 8) not everyones taste but guess what? its my ride :finga:

Eberspacher heater :shock: bargain at just a nifty :wink: dont no whether this will make it on the bus yet though :lol:

and more importantly lots of new metal :)

So onto what i actually did today :wink:
Got my new bay sender setup and confirmed thats all good to go so its all packed away till its needed :roll:

then moved onto another little job that needed doing, strengthening the brake arm

then onto a really annoying job getting the floor up :twisted:

Lee

Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

Oh dear ignore those last updates as ive changed my mind on the steering box :shock: its being replaced with a C/E rack now..
If i had a cristal ball OR all the money at the start then this wouldn't happen but hey ive got the funds now so shit just changed :lol:
Lee

63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Love your work Raiz, keep the updates coming :D
61 dc
67 beetle
Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

Today i stripped down the windows, all the seals and glides where shot so im stripping and prepping them..

A novel security idea :shock:

and now i see why the screw was installed... it has lost the stud from the bottom and as you can see there aint much left of the other either

Next up we stripped the Porsche IRS bits

Slow progress but in the right direction :wink:

Today i bunked off to work in the garage :wink:

Not to interesting as it was more stripping and cleaning etc.

I ordered new disc's bearings pads etcs for this lot.....fook me Porsche is pricey huh :?

Bump stops have to go..

Loads more prep to come im afraid whilst i gather all the metal, ive got loads but not all... still need cab door repairs and whole cab floor and cargo floor..

Today as always had loads to do on me bus and as it turned out got bugger all done on it in the end :evil:

Plan was to go and see if this offer of a workshop compressor was worth having, turns out it had been sat for about 10 years :shock:
Anyways didnt seem to much of an issue for me to sort as i can get motors pressure switches and lines easy from work F>O>C :D

we stripped the dead electrics and the pump was bone dry so filled it with oil the removed bearing covers and greased them as they where pretty dry too..

tested the motor all was good but needed to run it proper so borrowed the manifold from my other compressor 2.7hp :? and after alot of trying to make this and that fit tightened the last nut and split :ANAL: bust the manifold :twisted: now i have no compressor..
Easy fix now though and cheap enough to get running, this will help no end with blasting etc as the smaller one didn't cut the mustard :roll:

So all day and no progress :( apart from unpacking my deluxe trim :wink:

So picked up my engine today..... went to Fred's house to see it run up on the bench, must say it sounds much better and it looks better too.. 8)

Lee

Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

So been along time i know... my lady is due any day now so garage time has dropped :roll:

Anyways as usual ive been sourcing parts and panels and a few more bits have arrived.

Quarter lights and all assosiated rubber and felt.

Lets see whos on the ball? :wink:

Got some stuff done today..

some stuff for cleaning up

Was going well till the recently refurbish air compressor made some funky noises :shock:

found that one of the issues was head gasket.

the second issue was the reason for the oild spew out the front... a perished grease seal on the main bearing..
Kinda guessed these issues would arrise as it has sat unused for about 8 years or more so shits gonna perish..

anyways got a few bits done including the other Porsche caliper

continued removeing the front floor

then onto removeing the gearbox mounts

then we popped the bus back over onto its feet...well temporary feet..

My wife seeing if i needed a bump start :roll:

Lee

Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

Garage time was small due to the needs of a small man in da house :D anyways my wifes friends came to visit so that was my que to slope off :wink:

Bits of recently furbed, Porsche caliper

Assembled

Oh and More new stuff :twisted:

C/E rack and new cab floor plus spare wheel..

Finished up building these so i could put them away in a cupboard til i need them :roll:

And got this nice little section made by DSBUS on here..

So still not got all what i need but getting there...

new stuff alert :D

Sexy steering wheel and IRS legs shiney handle and more metal

Sound system to fit me hole :? gonna link this to my i[pod with the usb connection.

Lee

Raiz
DSKer

Post by Raiz »

well new baby = morning only :roll: but i have various stuff to do.. loads of blasting and priming, continue removing the rear floor to expose this more...

also got indicator holes to fill on new front panel and get inside the rear of the bus and remove paint on inside of both corners, the reason beint there looks to be alot of filler round one corner?

also got to fit locking wheels and fab a grille for that air compressor..

i have help for these jobs too :)

Today we continued exposing some nastys...

could someone tell me what this top section is called?

Also been meaning to remove the paint/filler inside rear corner as one side you can see the pressed metal of the panel the other is flat......=filler! so needed to see why.

Cant understand why there is a repair section here? its like a hole has been cut to access or something?

nothing obvious around frame..

Also got my F>O>C air pump sorted now and my ol man robbed me a grill for it so i needed to adapt that to make fit... needs to be fairly safe as my little boy sometimes comes in to say hello.. also fitted some acquired wheels.

With that all sorted i set up the blast booth and continued cleaning shit.. gotta be the best tool fo sho.. its gonna make the rebuild that much more satisfying as these bits are coming out gleaming like new metal 8)

Lee