NCR's 1967 Riviera Camper

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Shayno
DSKer

Re: NCR's 1967 Riviera Camper

Post by Shayno »

Nice to see your bus getting some love and some good use.

I just returned from Northern California and loved it. I would have loved it even more in a bus!!
NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

Very cool! What part(s) of NorCal did you visit?
1967 Riviera Camper - Four time Shasta Snow Trip bus.
WTB: Matched pairs of number plates from all AUS states.

Dig free music? Check out my monthly Mudride Radio music mix!
Shayno
DSKer

Post by Shayno »

Hi. We drove from Mackenzie River Oregon to San Fran down the 101. The Redwoods are awesome!! Some great spots in Oregon too.
NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

Shayno wrote:Hi. We drove from Mackenzie River Oregon to San Fran down the 101. The Redwoods are awesome!! Some great spots in Oregon too.
Oh yeah, that's some great country up there. SF is always worth a visit, but living as close to it as I do, I try to go there as little as possible. LOL

NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

Well, frak all.

I don't know if my bus has come to resent me for taking it off daily driver status, but I feel like I get one good drive out of it each month...all the while inbetween, I'm fixing shit.

Lots of electrical gremlins lately. And I thought I'd gotten them all sorted out last week. Made a great drive up to a friend's shop and back. Sat for four days and now it's sitting two blocks away at the neighborhood gas station because after filling up this morning, everything was dead. No juice, no crank, nothing.

I am so frustrated right now it's not even funny.

NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

Well, I've been quiet with the bus lately, but I have been working on one thing or another.

Last weekend I pulled my front bumper off so I could pound out a dent that a river rock had placed in it during the 2013 Shasta Snow Trip.

In that last one, you can see how twisted the bumper became. At first, couldn't even open the passenger side door! Had to borrow a c-clamp to hold the bumper down so my co-pilot could get in and out.

Well, I actually handed the stripped bumper blade off to my co-pilot today who has some larger tools at his disposal at work. And I'm excited to share that he sent me video of the bumper and it is level to the ground on both sides now! :D

NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

Wow, been pretty bad at updating this as things go along.

Well, front blade is on and looks great. Rear blade got straightened as best it could and it's not perfectly straight, but it works.

But the big decision for me recently was to start collecting the Aussie parts and do something of a conversion (without going so far [at least now] as to convert it all to RHD).

That list included an Aussie VDO MPH speedo meter, upper vent sections (I know a good welder), a mesh visor (which thankfully I could source over here), and a roo bar (which, due to weight and freight, will be built over here).

What I didn't count on was a Ferris picnic radio...that pushed back the roo bar project, but was definitely worth it.

Here are the parts:
I should add here that dmb was awesome enough to send me a speedo face at no cost. If anything goes wrong with this unit, I'm stoked to have spares!

The Ferris Radio (model 134, mark 1). Can anyone tell me how to read the face?

Holy crap it lights up!

Opened it up to test some things and there's a little repair needed, but we got it working well enough to pick up some local stations for a little while. Internal speaker is shot, though.

Upper vent sections courtesy of Cam Arnott up in Darwin!

I also received the mesh visor today, but haven't snapped a pic as it's down in the car and it's nearly 90F outside today!

GottaSplit
DSKer

Post by GottaSplit »

Hi NCR..
You've got some sweet bits and pieces right there...!
As for the AM radio, it marked in states: New South Wales, Victoria ,Queensland, South Aus, West Aus and Tasmania.
Now instead of putting the numbers on it to cover the frequency spectrum in every state(as that would just be so plainly boring) they have also put the radio station idents for most states... eg for NSW GB means you are tuned into radio station 2GB for frequency 873... for Vic the stations start with a 3, eg 3DB, 3UZ, QLD its a 4, SA its 5, WA is 6 and Tas (Im guessing) its 7...
Hope that helps
Jamie
NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

GottaSplit wrote:Hi NCR..
You've got some sweet bits and pieces right there...!
As for the AM radio, it marked in states: New South Wales, Victoria ,Queensland, South Aus, West Aus and Tasmania.
Now instead of putting the numbers on it to cover the frequency spectrum in every state(as that would just be so plainly boring) they have also put the radio station idents for most states... eg for NSW GB means you are tuned into radio station 2GB for frequency 873... for Vic the stations start with a 3, eg 3DB, 3UZ, QLD its a 4, SA its 5, WA is 6 and Tas (Im guessing) its 7...
Hope that helps
Jamie
That totally helps! Nice. Thank you!

NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

Well, another month come and gone and more work done to the bus.

Got the speedometer installed. Left the gels all sunburnt because I have colored LEDs behind them anyway.

Bought and installed a mesh visor. I love it! Looks good and definitely cuts down on some of the sun coming into the cabin.

Also had my coil crap out on me, but scored some good used ones at the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama (where I got to meet Al from DAS as well as Karen and Phil Mizzi) and the bus has been running fine since. Al was also kind enough to hook me up with a DAS shirt and I sent them off with some Mudride Radio stickers.

Also received a nice package from the GFresh camp. Sporting one of his stickers now as well as a shirt! I can confidently say I can go to the rest of the VW shows this year and ensure I'm wearing shirts no one else will have. :D

Oh! Almost forgot...the Ferris radio is with a proper electronics tech (friend of a friend) and will be getting a nice re-wiring job before I mount it in the bus.