Just a few pics of my old rides incl. 54 DD RHD Barndoor

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Barney Barndoor
DSKer

Just a few pics of my old rides incl. 54 DD RHD Barndoor

Post by Barney Barndoor »

Just signed up with DSK but been in the VW game a while..

Heres a few old picks of my old rides..

54 BD Double Door RHD

61 23 Window Deluxe RHD original & unrestored..

77 2.0 litre Panel

66 Deluxe Beetle "Car of the Day "VW Nationals Bug in 1993"

Pics in & out front of our family workshop 1993 Lidcombe, NSW.

Currently restoring my 36th VW & my 29th Kombi a 56 11 window.

Enjoy..

Cheers Barney

Last edited by Barney Barndoor on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barney Barndoor
DSKer

Re: Just a few pics of my old rides

Here's a Pic of my Current Project an original 1956 Kombi which I picked up in Melbourne in May...it had been sitting in a backyard in Ringwood under an old awning since last registered 1979... I got it home on the Saturday & I had it running around the block on the Sunday, now under restoration...

cheers Barney

byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

Nice, welcome...

Muller owned that dd and now phil... its getting the treatment as we speak...
Barney Barndoor
DSKer

The DD Barney was originally from Canberra last registered 1976 see Original pics, papers & condition of it coming back from Canberra, Boris picked it up in the mid 80's, I then picked it up from Boris Vintage VW in 1993 & sold to Steve in 2003 & now Phil picked it up this year from Steve... Looking forward to seeing the old girl on the road...

Also See pics of history of this rare beast...
ACT last registration papers
See VW Birth Certificate Boris recieved in 1986.
My receipt from Boris

Enjoy...

Cheers Barney.

NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Re: Just a few pics of my old rides incl. 54 DD RHD Barndoor

Post by NorCalRiviera »

Those are some great looking buses. And I love that windscreen screen! I so want one of those and a roo bar for my bus!
1967 Riviera Camper - Four time Shasta Snow Trip bus.
WTB: Matched pairs of number plates from all AUS states.

Dig free music? Check out my monthly Mudride Radio music mix!
okrasa power
DSKer

Post by okrasa power »

Real nice! I knew the story on your DD
But good to here the full history

Where did the 23 go?

Cheers

Mikki
Barney Barndoor
DSKer

Hi Mikki,

How are you mate ?
In regards to Deluxes..
I've had 2x23window & 2x15 window deluxes.
Which I eventually sold between 1995 & 1996 which put a hefty deposit together for my first home.

The original unrestored 23 went to a pastor from seaforth who saw it at the Sydney VW nationals 95 & with a few trophy wins he caught me at a stage in my life with a big offer, He then decided to paint it red & IRS it, changed the interior, pull the safaris out etc for some reason God love him... personally this was the one to leave alone...

I then sold off the other deluxes through trading post & some VW members at the time.
I will find more pics of these to post.

I wish I keep at least 1 but the Deluxe Kombi's among many others contibuted to us owning our home in Sydney with 5 kids at 40 years old, so Im just happy doing up my 56 Kombi now without a mortgage holding me back...

I still love the challenge especially in seeking Kombi's the old fashion way getting out there asking questions & there still out there as proof in the 56 I found in May.... Ebay, Car Sales etc... has made some people lazier to go out & find them & they pay high for the privelige, I can't see the challenge in it, the challenge in the real hunt/rescue gives you the initial bond with your van, then the trip to get it home home gives your your next bonding challenge & I have some great stories like I'm sure you all have then the resto gives you real respect for your van, then when you get to drive it you know why we keep doing this again & again because no other car I've owned gives me that Kombi feeling...

cheers Barney
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

Great story, thanks, 4500 is cheap but in 93 would have been a small fortune for an old kombi...
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

Keep the pics coming, maybe a story and picture of all 36 VWs... please
Barney Barndoor
DSKer

Heres a unique line up of some of my Kombi's in 1994 showing number plates..
I owned at the same time a Kombi from each decade 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's.

50's
1954 Barndoor Double Door Panel
Very rare car bearing a very rare number plate NSW Number Plate pictured on back "33" we used to service a car that came in this particular day to the workshop so I couldn't help myself & put it on the back of my Barndoor for a photo shoot with his younger brothers...

60's
1961 23 Window Deluxe Microbus which I had on Club plates "005" with "The VW Historical Society"

70's
1976 1800cc Automatic 8 seater Microbus with general plate NSW The First State "SIG-729"

80's
1982 T3 2.0L Air Cooled Transporter with number plate "VW-066"

enjoy

Barney Barndoor

Barney Barndoor
DSKer

Heres a list of my NSW number plates....

NSW number plate VW-066 I have had since 1991 & has been on many of my VW's...
Pictured on my 1966 Ex Army Microbus,
my 1966 Deluxe Beetle &
my first T3 a 1982 Air Cooled Transporter.
This plate is currently on hold to go on a my 1966 Black Convertible Beetle when finished..

At the same time in 1991 I got NSW number plate VW-067 & I put this on my very first split windscreen naturally a 1967 Kombi, this plate was sold with the car years later to a good old VW friend Rocky Rudd..I wish I keep this one as 1967 was also the year I was born..

cheers Barney

Barney Barndoor
DSKer

The Legendary Aussie Rock Band THE HOODOO GURUS were after a Split Windscreen Kombi with quote "Those opening front windscreens" back in 1993 for their new hit single "THE RIGHT TIME" which was to launch with there new album "CRANK".

After their agent contacted several VW Clubs for the whereabouts of the right vehicle. I then received a phone call.

I was offered a fair sum of Money back then $1600 for the use of my Kombi & accomodation, meals, etc was arranged, then I was faxed details were to meet for a 2 day film shoot. (no emails back then) ...I would of did it for free as I love the Gurus...

Location = Largs, NSW (A small town near Maitland)

The theme for the song was "LARGS STOCK" (mini version of Woodstock..)
Set era 1969....

When my Girlfriend (now Wife) & I rolled into the town of Morpeth, NSW Early one Saturday Morning to meet the Film Crew & Band to their delight got more windows than they bargained for a whole 23 of them. They were very impressed to say the least & were all over my Kombi like a rash checking out the Safari's etc... Dave Faulkner frontman for the band loved the Kombi & he & the other Gurus were bloody good blokes to work with on the shoot also...

Hoodoo Gurus Bass Guitarist Rick Grossman is doing the driving & Drummer Mark Kingsmill is the passenger in the following images I took with my new Minolta 7xi SLR camera at the time (35mm film back then no digital)

They had magnet murals made especially for the Kombi to suit the Woodstock period which said & pictured HG (for Hoodoo Gurus) over the front VW Badge, LSD, Trip, Cross Skulls, Smoking Skull with hat placed around the van...including "666" number plates...They gave me the magnets after the shoot...

They also had a smoke machine they wanted to use as the story goes the Kombi breaks down on the way to "Largsstock" a field rock concert so I hooked up this smoke machine in the back they had & taped pipes up under the rear seat to heater outlet & removed the heater pipes underneath to force the smoke to come out from under the engine (see 0.48 into clip)

When they broke down & lifted the rear engine lid sctatching there head I said I have a good idea, the director was quite open to any good ideas.. I said seeing the Release Album will be called "Crank" & these guys have broken down, I have the original Kombi Crank Handle so lets show them trying to Crank start it with it, then pretend it doesn't start & throw the crank handle down on the ground in anger.... they loved the idea & it come across really well (see 2.05 into clip)

A Boy eventually shows up on a push bike with a tool kit, the Kombi gets fixed & then they head off to Largstock with the Boy in middle front & his Pushie hanging out the Deluxe Sunroof...

To see the Music Video go to the Youtube link below.
The Hoodoo Gurus The Right Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO97T3RONmM

Great song & rock video, Awesome experience & will never forget....

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!

Barney Barndoor

Last edited by Barney Barndoor on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Barney Barndoor
DSKer

Squidy
DSKer

Post by Squidy »

Loving the stories, pics and history mate. Keep them coming, you had some great buses !
Barney Barndoor
DSKer

byronbus wrote:Keep the pics coming, maybe a story and picture of all 36 VWs... please
Mate I started a pictorial detailed story in July on The Kombi Club Forum called "My Kombi's from Bays to Splits" of my life around Kombi's & my other VW's which also goes back to my first cars leading into my Kombi Volkswagen addiction, the detailed story is now coming up to 1988 but with a few future references along the way...the story goes slightly of track a few times due to questions asked along the way but Maintains the real story in the way I present it along with my natural Aussie Laconic Humour which will keep you interested...

I wanted to tell this story from my heart & it does get personal at times which inturn shows you my passion for life & the bond I naturally created for myself in the VW Kombi leading to a VW addiction that will continue forever..

I'm currently putting together 1988 in order & finding old photos conveting them to digital etc..

you need to go to for now to the below link called... "My Kombi's from Bays to Splits"..

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread. ... -to-Splits

I will look at restarting this thread shortly on DSK if you like,
moderaters just let me know & what section this story would be best placed in

cheers Barney
Last edited by Barney Barndoor on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.