62 11 window.. first steps in VW land

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Luke62
DSKer

62 11 window.. first steps in VW land

Post by Luke62 »

Hi all, below should be a link to a photobucket folder with what I have done so far, its going to be slow progress as I'm only home every 5th week for a week and only get the mornings to work on it.
Let know what you think, good bad or otherwise!

I have just started on the front (more pics coming) having completed the new gutter and roof sections down the passengers side. I have to make a section of roof at the front to complete, but that will come later.
I did the gutter etc first rather than working front to back because part of it had been cut out before purchase and the rest was completely rusted out. I am replacing the passengers A and B pillars and wanted a good gutter/ roof to work with for strength/ marking out etc when doing the pillars.

Cheers, Luke

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/6211w ... t=2&page=1
kombi niko
DSKer

Re: 62 11 window.. first steps in VW land

Post by kombi niko »

Smashin it Luke well done, I just finished my roof bugger of a job and yours looks heaps worse!! well done champ!!
matara
Admin

Post by matara »

If you ever think you've got it bad, head over to the UK Splitscreen Van Club site and look at what guys start with there. http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/ It will cheer you up.

Great work!
Luke62
DSKer

Post by Luke62 »

Thanks Kombi niko, its fun stuff. I keep coming up with new repairs to do as I dig deeper, especially around the front.

Matara the link took me to the home page... I think I know the thread though, the front end is completely not there at one point if its the one I'm thinking of. There is another I saw somewhere, the bus is cut in half for a chassis rebuild they think it was used to cart salt at some stage if I remember right.
You are correct... someone is always having more fun than you no matter how deep things get.

Cheers for the interest :)
Luke62
DSKer

Post by Luke62 »

So I just had a closer look at mataras' link above... the thread my first vw, mid life crisis now living the dream
I see now and yup I do feel better, damn. :)
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Great work mate I'll be watching on with interest!
Luke62
DSKer

Post by Luke62 »

Thanks Cam, I wont be able to do any more work for another 3 weeks :(
But I get time to plan what I want to do next I guess
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

Looking good Luke, sometimes you feel that the light is a long way away, but you get there, took me 5 years, worth it in the end, keep it up mate
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
Luke62
DSKer

Post by Luke62 »

Thanks mate, I was going to add some photos of the front end but the network at work wont let me onto photobucket so tha will have to wait untill I get home in a couple of weeks. They were mostly just rust anyway, no real repairs
LOWK71
DSKer

Post by LOWK71 »

Hi Luke, job looks good from the picks, keep them pictures coming. Everything worth doing requires a bit of hard work it seems :D
Shane
Luke62
DSKer

Post by Luke62 »

Hi, thanks lowk71... yup a bit of hard work makes the result all the more worth while..
So I've put some more photos on photo bucket this link will take you there, if not go to photo bucket and search 6211window and find the build folder...
http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/6211w ... us%20build
I have also put a couple of pics from the WA vw day into a folder, I got there late in the day just as the prize giving was finishing, I must get round to joining the WA club one of these days.
So photo bucket wont let me add titles or comments for some reason, it worked for the last set but today its not playing the game.
The photos are basically the lower front being cut off, the headlight support is rusted right across where the floor spots on... my plan there is to repair it as the steel above and below is fine... I'll replace the rusted section and then put a second (doubler) piece of sheet over the top of the repair to really stiffen it back up.
I have left the front repair for a while and moved onto the passengers floor and a-pillar replacement. having the front off allowed a bit more access and light into the floor and because the whole pillar came out I still have good reference points with the front on.
You'll see in the end the a-pillar is completly out and I have made a start on the dogleg bits that I need to make as I only have the outers from the last owner. Its fine just more time in fabbing bits up... doing this and repairing the headlight support will save me a chunk of money though.
The next step is fettling everything for the funky green pillar to go in nice, put the window frame back onthe door and offer the two up together to play around with positioning for door gaps.
Probably going to run out of time as I'm away to work in a couple of days so it'll another month before I get to do any more.
Let me know if the link doesn't work (the link at the top should still be good) and any advice on pending disasters would be good too.
Luke62
DSKer

Post by Luke62 »

Hi ya, well I have put some more pics on photobucket, I was able to put some comments on this time so its a bit better to go through. The A pillar is in, lower dogleg and the door on. its all tacked in and will keep an eye on door fit up as some of the next few repairs are carried out. Let me know any comments/ advice good bad or otherwise.. cheers Luke
http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/6211w ... us%20build
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Quality work mate
Luke62
DSKer

Post by Luke62 »

thanks Cam.. appreciate the comments.. i just noticed i can upload to the site now i think.. tried but my camera pics are to big so ill try a couple with my phone.. have to figure out the resolution
Attachments
20140110_181900.jpg
20140110_182001.jpg
20140110_182010.jpg
Luke62
DSKer

Post by Luke62 »

Going to try and put a few pictures up from photobucket now I can down size them and upload to here.... ok got these three up but cant seem to get any more to load, try again tomorrow
11/ 1/14... its tomorrow now and I'm going to quietly give up on downsizing photos and moving them to here!!! please check the photobucket links above for the earlier pics.

am happy that now I can upload to the site (probably have been for a while but forgot to keep checking) just reset the camera resolution...
Attachments
20130823_110108.jpg
20130822_120945.jpg
20130820_101409.jpg