Fathermarc
DSKer

Cargo Sill Question

Post by Fathermarc »

The cargo sill comes in three pieces.
The inner box section.
The inner support section.
The outer skin.

I would like to know if the support section should be welded to the outer skin before final assembly or does the support section get welded to the inner box section first?

:shock:
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
65 Izh Jupiter with side car
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
FrankenCab
DSKer

Re: Cargo Sill Question

Post by FrankenCab »

If I have the 2 piece one I do a test fit to see if outer is the right shape to b pillar and short outer sill and modify to the correct profile then weld inner strengthener to it and then final fit using self tappers first then plug weld
Straight axle is better than IRS
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Support section welded to outer skin first. Rather time consuming welding everything together and in - check, check again and recheck fit with doors and floor in place to get it sitting right.

I found after welding the two together the sill had warped a little and had to be straightened before welding in.
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

Thanks fellas... Much appreciated.
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox
Fathermarc
DSKer

Post by Fathermarc »

Guys,

this is how I saw fit to put the Cargo door sill (rocker) together.

1. Box section tack welded to cross rails etc...
2. Inner Support section cramped to and spot welded to floor pan from above.
3. check level.
4. Inner support section cramped into position tack welded to inner box section face.
5. Outer Cargo Sill (rocker) cramped to floor pan and spot welded from above.
6. Outer Cargo Sill (rocker) lower section cramped and spot welded to adjoining box section.

This way the floor pan is pulled level.

Otherwise if you try joining the inner to the outer first... You can't get the support section between the B and C-Pillars
Attachments
140101_Resto 015.jpg
140101_Resto 014.jpg
Spot weld the outer skin to the box section. Note I have holes to spot weld the outer to the inner support section. I didn't need to use them. the parts are now locked in together and are very strong.
Spot weld the outer skin to the box section. Note I have holes to spot weld the outer to the inner support section. I didn't need to use them. the parts are now locked in together and are very strong.
Each time the corresponding panel is locked in position it pull the floor pan at the entrance level.
Each time the corresponding panel is locked in position it pull the floor pan at the entrance level.
Inner Support section and outer skin both cramped and spot welded to the floor from above.
Inner Support section and outer skin both cramped and spot welded to the floor from above.
---------
58 Kombi
69 Soft top beetle
2006 Ducati 999 Xerox