Robs 1962 Split resto

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

1962 Split
DSKer

Re: Robs 1962 Split resto

Post by 1962 Split »

ogrule wrote:Beautiful job mate - I am thinking of a tow bar on my split - so thanks for the detailed photos. I am still researching my motor options - Did you have any trouble finding the bits for your type 4 motor? I was led to believe the parts are expensive and hard to get and you have to have modified tinware and a special manufactured exhaust?
Cheers
If I was doing this all over again I probably wouldnt have gone with an uprighted type 4. The theory I believe was correct, ie stronger motor for towing, larger capacity options (mine is only slightly stroked but comes in at 2.2 litres) and easier to keep cool with external oil cooler and fan. However, it has been perhaps the most painful part of the rebuild and still not completely sorted. I didnt find parts that hard to find and there are fiberglass upright kits available, you dont use any original tinware and there are no modifications required to the valance or body of the bus. The downside though is that the throttle assembly ends up at the rear behind the fan housing and the spark plugs protrude through the tinware at a difficult angle. The upshot of this is that it takes about an hour to change the plugs in pots 1 and 3. The carbs are still not quite right, both jetting and balance and in the end perhaps I would have been better off sticking with a good Type 1 upgrade. Then again its still early days and havent towed the race car on a long trip yet so I may change my mind.
1962 Split
DSKer

Post by 1962 Split »

Sorry I forgot the exhaust question. Yes the exhaust had to be a once off special design as the first attempt at modifying an existing Type 4 exhaust failed. I ended up taking it to Gary Lethbridge at Glenorie. The exhaust consists of a set of square flange type 4 "J" pipes. These were reversed to initially direct the exhaust to the front of the bus, then cut short and turned back with new pipework each side going through a small expansion chamber before rejoining and passed through another small expansion chamber. There are no baffles and the pipes are reasonably equal length. Its a little on the loud side but the engine can breath now. I'll post some better pictures shortly.
1962 Split
DSKer

Post by 1962 Split »

bulkhead cabinet taking shape
Attachments
Interor 8.jpg
Interior 6.jpg
1962 Split
DSKer

Post by 1962 Split »

Spice Rack. I used the standard SO42 plans but mirror reversed them for the build
Attachments
20170212_160615.jpg
1962 Split
DSKer

Post by 1962 Split »

Completed bulkhead cabinet
Attachments
20170212_160908.jpg
63 left hooker
DSKer