Tassie 67

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Rudy_032
DSKer

Re: Tassie 67

Post by Rudy_032 »

Organised a AT gearbox today. Already detailed which is bonus. I will have to change the nosecone and stick over, is there only one way to install the bus stick or can it be put in incorrectly? Also I assume the gasket is easy to get.

67 Splitty
68 Bay
74 Bay
2004 Golf
Rudy_032
DSKer

Post by Rudy_032 »

Organised a AT gearbox today. Already detailed which is bonus. I will have to change the nosecone and stick over, is there only one way to install the bus stick or can it be put in incorrectly? Also I assume the gasket is easy to get.

67 Splitty
68 Bay
74 Bay
2004 Golf
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

I used a sealant type glue from a auto store instead of a gasket. Worked no probs. if using old splitty nose cone replace the brass oil seal if possible. Can leak here if any wear or if hockey stick has a lip.
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
paul willans
DSKer

Post by paul willans »

when you put the nose cone on make sure all the gears are in neutral ,when you get the stick in the 3 gear selectors put the nose cone on and double check you have all 5 gears ,in out turn and check , otherwise youll be pulling the motor and box back out
clk500 AMG
64 s Notch
57 Boronia Brown bus
59 Pmg ute
62 Beryl Green bus
Rudy_032
DSKer

Post by Rudy_032 »

Cheers Paul. I think i have this sorted now.

I have been working on the front beam. I welded a bracket to the top of my old vice to hold the beam, easy to work on as its at a good height and also swivels!! I degreased and pressure washed the beam before I started to strip it down, the link pins all came out very easy followed by the rolla bearings. I was assuming these would be hard to get out so maybe they are worn? I will replace everything I can just for the sake of it. I now have the stub axle and the king pins on the bench which I want to pull apart, How do I go about pulling the top king pin out?

67 Splitty
68 Bay
74 Bay
2004 Golf
paul willans
DSKer

Post by paul willans »

they don't come apart ,unless you have a big press ,usually they are fine
clk500 AMG
64 s Notch
57 Boronia Brown bus
59 Pmg ute
62 Beryl Green bus
Rudy_032
DSKer

Post by Rudy_032 »

Well the king pin pressed out pretty easy in the end. I took it to a machine shop and they spent about 5 mins to do it. I could have used my press if I knew it was that easy and had made a wedge to spread it with.

Glad I did as the king pin and the brass bushes are both worn. All the rubber seals are cracked and also will be replaced. I have stripped the beam leaving only the needle bearings inside the beams ready for a clean and paint. I will also fit adjusters while I have it apart. The bottom king pin looks OK, just the brass bush will be replaced.

Worn king pin. New ones in the post.

Using sockets to press out the brass bushes, came out easy enough.Image

This welsh plug needs to be punched out through the bottom to get the bush out. Not exactly sure how well they will go back in.

Pulled out all the springs, all look fine.
67 Splitty
68 Bay
74 Bay
2004 Golf
Rudy_032
DSKer

Post by Rudy_032 »

Somehow doubled up post, not sure how to delete.
Last edited by Rudy_032 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67 Splitty
68 Bay
74 Bay
2004 Golf
Rudy_032
DSKer

Post by Rudy_032 »

Been busy plugging away, finished the front beam which was interesting. At least now I know what all the parts do and how they work. I replaced everything possible except the needle bearings in the beam as they seemed fine. All new seals, K&L pins, bushes, adjusters, centre pin, steering damper - yes, i even painted this… new grease nipples, nuts and bolts and 2 pac paint. All greased up ready to go. Still waiting for a reamer to taper the spindles.

Flipping the spindles was simple enough, I used one of the unused link ping caps on the top for a seal, just tacked and seam sealed. With the Shermans it should be a solid front end.

67 Splitty
68 Bay
74 Bay
2004 Golf
kombiing
DSKer

Post by kombiing »

Don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but I learned the hard way that sometimes the splitty nose cone fouls on the main shaft bearing with a AT box and causes carnage so please check it b4 you throw it in your split as you may need a spacer between your gearbox and split nose cone
Rudy_032
DSKer

Post by Rudy_032 »

Ok, did not know that so I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up. Did you make the spacer for yours?
67 Splitty
68 Bay
74 Bay
2004 Golf
kombiing
DSKer

Post by kombiing »

Nope after the AT box I had was munched I located a double Side plate box thanks to a very hospitable and generous benefactor I.e my brother!, that had the original main shaft bearing and it was all good I think it's when they are rebuilt and single side plate AT boxes you can get into trouble
kombi niko
DSKer

Post by kombi niko »

looking good!! you might want to flip that bottom bolt around on the spindle as it will fowl against the tie rod arm.
Rudy_032
DSKer

Post by Rudy_032 »

Hi Niko, Not sure Im following, are you talking about the bottom link pin bolt? If so I can't picture how it will be any where near the tie rod end?
67 Splitty
68 Bay
74 Bay
2004 Golf
kombi niko
DSKer

Post by kombi niko »

you can see it here in red, if you lower the arms further it will hit, some peeps grind a little off the bottom of the tie rod, I flipped the bolt so the nuts on the other side