Evie Bus - 1966 Aussie Standard

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

68BUS
DSKer

Re: Evie Bus - 1966 Aussie Standard

Post by 68BUS »

kombi niko wrote:unreal its the same as mine :)
Close to. Different cam as it was originally built for a plane project.
Stan called me about 2 days after I decided not to get a new engine and finish the interior instead and said the fella who bought it was not going to finish the plane.
Apparently the cam lowers the power band a smidge again and ups the torque. Perfect for what I want it for.
I think he said it will only comfortably rev to 6500rpm but as I have not taken my current engine beyond 4900rpm (my gauge has a max speed and rpm measure) that should be fine.

So he converted it to have the cooling and went over it all for me. Replaced the pushrod tubes with stainless as they were mild back then.
Looking forward to it. I have never driven in a pobjoy bus and am purely going on what people have told me. So hopefully it pays off.

Needless to say - the interior is on hold for a while.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

How much hp do you think the new pobjoy motor will have Brad
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

Not the foggiest idea at all.
My baseline is my wifes Subaru XV. It has a modern technology 2ltr cylinder.
If my bus has the same sort of take off power and can do the same speed on the freeway I will be happy as larry.
But as the XV has 110kw (which from what I can tell is 147hp) I might be clutching at straws for that.
Bound to be better on hills anyway.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

68BUS wrote:Not the foggiest idea at all.
If my bus has the same sort of take off power and can do the same speed on the freeway I will be happy as larry.
But as the XV has 110kw (which from what I can tell is 147hp) I might be clutching at straws for that.
People I know who have them make around 80hp at the wheels
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

Cool. Upgrade. Will be interesting to feel what it's like.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek (XV) as well. She really likes it.
1967 Riviera Camper - Four time Shasta Snow Trip bus.
WTB: Matched pairs of number plates from all AUS states.

Dig free music? Check out my monthly Mudride Radio music mix!
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

Sorry DSK. My update here lags behind KC due to me shite phone not letting me log into DSK. (NOTE: Telstra Dave's Suck!).

Engine is in!!!!!

I took this to the local mob who service my utes and I am glad I did. Ended up spending a fortnight on the hoist. My wife would not have been happy if it was the driveway.
So here is why.

- Throw out bearing was looking a bit old. So had to wait for one to come in.
- Then the rear valance tinwear does not fit the Vintage Speed pipes that have the pre heater upstands for single solex carbs. Amazingly Mick Motors said they have ones without.
Turns out they did not. They sent me J Pipes. (Two sets). So i took them back and took the exhaust to a stainless welder and have the upstands cut off and plugged.
- Then my accelerator cable was two short by a few mm. Ordered two from Micks and said to save time can you express courier. They were shipped Wednesday morning and arrived Friday 6:30pm. Not bad for 13km. (totally not Micks fault. Fastway stuffed up the delivery).
- Then I had to wait for the workshop to clear.
- Then there was a small oil leak. I figured it was the doghouse cooler adapter and rang Stan. He agreed because the new ones have to be machined to fit. I pilfered the one of my old engine for now. To Stans credit he said he would pay any associated costs with the switch. So he does stand by his warrentee which is great.
- Finally on Friday afternoon the second week she was ready.

Pauly got excited (my mech) and said he was looking forward to hearing it from the outside.
So is gave it a little bit. Their street is not long and the old engine would have me at 60kms by the end. This one had me at 80 and I decided that 80 was enough 3/4 of the way down.

So it is bloody fun. Really good torque right through the range. I have not gotten it on the freeway yet so about 90 is my top speed. But it does not need to rev beyond 4500. Just has a heap of guts.
And unless I am in a high gear (I have taken to sitting in 4th at 6okms) you put the foot down and it pulls.

It is not obnoxiously loud, but certainly loud enough to make people realise it is not a slow old kombi ( the large stainless exhaust helps in that realisation too).

So overall. I know I could have got more power through a Penrose motor. But for a street motor that does not have to rev very high. I am completely happy. Yep it cost a pretty penny. But you can't take it with you 8)
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

damo99
DSKer

Post by damo99 »

067DUB wrote:
if the motor has about 80hp at the wheels ,that = fun
62 panel 2270 type 4
2012 nissan navarra 700hp ls7
herrod au2 xr8
92 toyota hilux twin turbo lsx
91 gemini turbo v6

welcome to the internet ,where men are men, women are men and little girls and boys are FBI agents
froger
DSKer

Post by froger »

68BUS wrote:Sorry DSK. (NOTE: Telstra Dave's Suck!).
Absolutly .. Was given one of these for a work phone .. Ditched it an went back to my old Nokia tuff phone !!
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Enjoy the new engine mate :D

Cheers,

Pete
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

damo99 wrote:
067DUB wrote:
if the motor has about 80hp at the wheels ,that = fun
Sure is.

Looks great Brad, go and burn up those miles.
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

I have done a couple of things since DSK has been offline. First one was break off another side mirror.
I switched from Elephant Ears because the flapped on the freeway. And am sick of the round mirrors breaking over time from adjustment (this one I caught on my roof rack which it strapped to the side wall of my carport - Ooops).

So I found another alternative. Also they are slightly bigger, slightly concave and a damn site stronger.
First photo is next to a justkampers one that is the only one not broken (also crap quality, wobbles in the pin to mirror connection from day one).

Drilled out the hole on the standard clamp. Much stronger bar to the mirror.

From Amazon - 5inch universal mirror.

And looks pretty good I think. Not bad for $40 to have two delivered within a week.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

The other thing I did was Ping Jinged. Well actually Happy Tigered.

Stereo quality increase is very noticeable. Driving noise is as loud I think but dulled. Overall feels more cocoon like.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.