1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

MID WEST DUBBER wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:14 pm That’s looking great, I bet you are happy to be pushing forward
Sure am, happy that's basically the end of rust for me...
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Project front tubs has begun.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Probably not a post for the purists, but I am super excited to see the progress on the front suspension today. Fully adjustable coil-overs, power steering rack and pinion, zero bump steer, no weird camber/caster changes, Porsche discs, Willwood 4 piston callipers. All designed around my Fuch replicas with full turning circle and combined with the full tubs, no fouling. It should bring the ride quality up to modern 2020 standards. Imo the best front suspension ever to be designed and fitted to an early bus, and it's totally Aussie designed and fabricated too.
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

bajesus, sweet man.
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

whats the plan on the front seats? thin foam? or you a short bugger?
MisterPig
DSKer

Post by MisterPig »

looks awsome, curious to know how much height you lost doing the tubs
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Jesus that front end is next level, does it just mount to the OG beam holes or a bit trickier than that?
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Wow, that’s some sexy shit right there!
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

It is not to late to run clear perspex for your wheel arches and just one small central seat so you can watch that suspension shine its little heart out down the freeway.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

68BUS wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:17 am It is not to late to run clear perspex for your wheel arches and just one small central seat so you can watch that suspension shine its little heart out down the freeway.
Lol :D
I do think it's a thing of beauty... It uses the forward OE suspension holes, then there are some new ones further rearward on the chassis that I have to create with crush tubes. I think the height of the seat isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I haven't seen it in person yet but Dan sent me some pics and says it's fine and he has heaps of headroom, and he is my height about 6'. But I am hoping to go out today and see for myself. But it was sort of one part that, was what it was, I wanted to go low, and I wanted it legal, which means no bottoming out or guard rubbing. I am doing away with the OE front seat springing which felt pretty uncomfortable to me and we are going to shaped foam but still bench seat. Actually started getting some quotes for upholstering, and looks like there goes another kidney...
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Unbelievable that Front end. Look like something Elon Musk will claim soon !!

Incredible to think of the engineering behind that one. Pool Room Material for sure.
Wow there is some serious talent with a few of you DSK'ers and your connections.

If Grizzly Adams is giving the thumbs up to seat height - it must be true :D

Love your work
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Cheers all, went out and took a look for myself yesterday. It's good as it is, but it would be great if they were just a touch lower. So we have come up with the idea that now the front suspension is where it's at, I am going to go get it from the engineers, then we can dummy fit the driverside, fit the wheel/tyre combo I am going for and adjust the height and width of the tubs to actually match the actual wheel rather than just go by the numbers. I am hoping we may gain 10 or 20mm which if we can would be worth it.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

First test fit of the suspension today, and a bit relieved and excited to say it's pretty much perfect. At full bump and turn it misses everything. We will roll the inside lip of the guard but it doesn't totally need it, but since we are here we will.

The best news is contrary to the dimensions from the fab guys verbally (which I think were conservative) we can actually make the tubs about 25mm lower than the mock-up, but more importantly, shape the fall to the lower seating area between the tubs a lot. It's going to mean you are really sitting a bit inboard of them sort of, so the seating position may not end up that much higher than the original. So big win there and big steps forward at this stage.

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

VRSenator065 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:16 pm Image
Money Shot !!!
Unbelievable work on this Bus.
In all honesty, and im sure many would agree. I think as a VW Splitty community in whole - to have a DSK'r produce this caliber of build (and a first bus build) we're in the presence of greatness.

That front end...my goodness :shock:

Awesome stuff

Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted: