1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

griffiths_r
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by griffiths_r »

Wow that is a seriously neat set of gauges!!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Bit of an update, picked up this bad boy from Andrew a couple of weeks back. 2110 with nice bits and pieces. I wasn't chasing outright power, just something to push it along comfortably at highway speed. Looks like he has done a superb job, it sounds fantastic. With his guidance just starting to make my own sleds to meet up with the Porsche-style cooling shroud. Have also ordered most of my braided hose and fittings for the fuel and oil cooling system. Experience tells me you never get that right first time! it's currently at the upholsterers, and that's coming along great, about another 2 or 3 weeks then it should be back to me.
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

control panel is tidy, looking forward to seeing this thing.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

How’s that oil system coming along? What hose are you running? Are you going -10 or -8 fittings? Champ told me -8 was plenty but all the coolers/filters etc I have are -10 so I figure the bigger size can’t hurt.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Oh that centre console looks like a great idea. Especially with that motor, pop it into 4th then cruise down the freeway without having the normal splitty drivers slump :D

That motor looks the biz too.

Such a well thought out project you’ve done from the start.
‘The Visionary’

Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Kombi has been a bit on the back burner for me whilst its at upholstery. Should be back here next Monday though which we cant wait for. Am putting together the AN fittings for the oil cooler, power steer etc. I think i will run -10, mind you Champ is the Obi-wan of VW engines so I am sure -8 would work. Going -10 just means you have a bigger volume of oil which can only be a good thing in an air cooled engine imo. I prefer to use hard line as much as possible, so will prob make up and fit -10 ally hard line along the chassis to bulkheads then go -200 braid from there. Its how I did the Senator and is nice and neat and well protected. Rough plan is to get the Kombi back to the painter after Easter for a couple of things, then back home to push on for the final assembly & fab.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Back from the upholsterers, super happy. Just waiting on the steering wheel which I am having leather stitched. A couple of things, no biggies. Currently starting on the underside stuff, clutch, power steer, hoses, bla bla. Then waiting for a time window to get it back to the painter for the last couple of things.
Kombiiknut
DSKer

Post by Kombiiknut »

Yep you've nailed it, looks bloody awesome..👍👍
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Very plush - looks superb.
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Mate well done, looks super comfy for that big lap of oz. You going to tie in a Valla visit in 2024 ?
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks. For anyone running safaris, my misses wanted me to come up with an idea so when we are sleeping or are away from the bus the windows can be cracked open but somehow locked so nobody could just pull them up and reach in and flog anything. So I have designed replacement stays that include a secondary notch so you can crack them open about 50mm but they are locked, so no one from outside can just pull them open. The way it works is from the inside you have to close it, lift the stay then they will open as normal. I have 3D printed them at this stage to test them, they seem to work great. I am going to get them made out of 2.5mm polished stainless. I have also adjusted the length of the rear and side so they only open up to horizontal, as the cheap asses at CE just used the same length as the fronts. Once I am done I will put them up on my website for sale if anyone is interested.
Test pics of the prototyping.
Kombiiknut
DSKer

Post by Kombiiknut »

VRSenator065 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:02 am Thanks. For anyone running safaris, my misses wanted me to come up with an idea so when we are sleeping or are away from the bus the windows can be cracked open but somehow locked so nobody could just pull them up and reach in and flog anything. So I have designed replacement stays that include a secondary notch so you can crack them open about 50mm but they are locked, so no one from outside can just pull them open. The way it works is from the inside you have to close it, lift the stay then they will open as normal. I have 3D printed them at this stage to test them, they seem to work great. I am going to get them made out of 2.5mm polished stainless. I have also adjusted the length of the rear and side so they only open up to horizontal, as the cheap asses at CE just used the same length as the fronts. Once I am done I will put them up on my website for sale if anyone is interested.
Test pics of the prototyping.
Deffinately interested in a couple sets of them, let us know when you are done. Bloody great idea..
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Will do, cheers
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

nice one, also great to have em cracked while driving, locked onto psition and not 'slip'
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

spl65t wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:34 pm Mate well done, looks super comfy for that big lap of oz. You going to tie in a Valla visit in 2024 ?
Well we certainly plan to cover a lot of miles in it, I don't know much about Valla tbh.