1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Fair bit going on in the background (not just Walter). Decided to create a very accurate model of the rear chassis area (that was a bit tricky!!) will post up a screen shot of the CAD screen later. But looking good so far. Starting to think about making my own axle tube ends, that way I can set overall length to what I want for the exact track width I need with my hubs/wheel combo, with no need to weld the stock tubes, and also the inner flange for the trailing arm mount so it can hug the inside of the tire so I can get maximum room and (hopefully) run the coil over in the stock shock location.

Some more bits and bobs have arrived, one of the things I love about mine being a 60 is how clean and un-cluttered the dash area is, so plan on putting these very nice simple and clean guages up in the overhead air panel. I am going to run an aux battery, so thinking of using a period looking two pole switch so I can switch the voltage gauge back and forth between them. Reckon I will make up a nice loom up to that with some additonal wires in case I end up putting anything elese up there.

If anyone has fitted gauges up there, where/how did you run the cables so they were hidden?

Had a bit of a think of how best to mock up for the coil over clearance. I got a mostly dimensioned drawing of the coilover off Sot so I modelled it up in CAD and 3D printed my design. Its a sliding inner annd outer tube arrangement to the outside diameter of the coil when compressed. Just slotted it with screws so the maximum and minimum length is available. Suspension is pretty much at a stand still until the hubs and brakes arrive, which are on their way.

spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

https://www.dsk.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18973

sure Nicko had overhead gauges......
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

I have 3 gauges in the vent cover. 90mm tacho and two 52mm gauges (oil pressure and oil temp). I ran trailer light cable up through the A Pillar. Made a snake out of steel wire and pulled the trailer cable through. Completely hidden. Don’t forget to allow for the light circuit when counting the number of wires you will need in the trailer light cable.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Ted2 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:45 pm I have 3 gauges in the vent cover. 90mm tacho and two 52mm gauges (oil pressure and oil temp). I ran trailer light cable up through the A Pillar. Made a snake out of steel wire and pulled the trailer cable through. Completely hidden. Don’t forget to allow for the light circuit when counting the number of wires you will need in the trailer light cable.
Great info mate, cheers
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Good choice on the gauges - they look good!
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

morts wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:02 pm Good choice on the gauges - they look good!
thanks mate. I thought clean and simple was the way to go.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

More progress on the paint, also took the customer out to have a look, I think she was happy :D Recieved my polished bumper bars as well today, can't wait to get them home and have a look.

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Only had time to quickly unpack the bumper bars out of the box and take a quick squiz ihis morning. They look bloody amazing, can not wait to put them all together and see them fully assembled. Will take them out to Dans Friday for a test fit too. Also have booked in the engineering guys to come out and do the 3D scanning of the front chassis, and also the wheel so they can start the front end design. Plan on being with them doing that. Heve used 3D point clouds quite a few times in my work but never been involved in the actual scanning before so should be fun to see it in action.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

For those following the engineering thread... We want to fit child restraint points in the rock n roll bed. So I spoke to Sot, they have come up with a very elegant solution with a cross piece of RHS with spring loaded pins that pick up in holes in the side of the bus. That way in the event of an accident the load is not transferred down to the rock n roll hinge mechanism. He designed the assembly including material lengths and sizes, and gave me a detailed drawing of it to build too. Total engineering cost including final sign off when done $250.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Been in the CAD game now for the best part of 35 years, and it never ceases to amaze me how the technology advances. Ronnie from MVE who are designing the front suspension came out today to 3D scan the front of the bus. This produces a full 3D model to within 0.1mm to allow them to model the new design to fit exaclty my bus. They will be able to check turning circle, wheel clearances etc before cutting one piece of metal. Uber cool tech!!
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Wow. That's impressive technology 8)
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Yep, that's awesome.
Pushing some boundaries with this old split bus for sure 8)
Mate, you may be onto something bigger with this bus !!
Cheers
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

spl65t wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:45 pm Yep, that's awesome.
Pushing some boundaries with this old split bus for sure 8)
Mate, you may be onto something bigger with this bus !!
Cheers
Linz
Probably a bit of a case of not having had anything to do with one before I dont have any preconcieved ideas of whats posisble or not. Either that or I am incredibly naive and/or over confident :lol:
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

Holy shit... that's amazing tech. Might have found a nice little cash market there 😁
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Shaven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:54 pm Holy shit... that's amazing tech. Might have found a nice little cash market there 😁
Trouble is a scanner like that starts at $15k to be useful. And then like all CAD it's what you do with it after. But totally agree, super cool tech.