1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Rear disc brake kit has arrived from CSP. Perfect timing, now I can get back onto the rear suspension design. Went and dropped the wheel/new tyre I have fitted up to Sot, so they can scan it and work with the exact combo I am running. Chatted to him and have also decided to go power steering since I am going to all this effort to make it drive as modern as possible. Suesy is also quite small so will make it nicer/easier for her to drive.

067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

I’ve also got a CSP rear disc kit, really nice gear .
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Paints coming along nicely, there is half a chance we ill have it in colour by Christmas. Also seeing the engineer tonight about the rear suspension.

also not VW related but got an invite to the SA HDT/HSV day, picked up best modified of show and also best VR :)
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Orange will look nice!!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Got a day on it today, not sure where I got up to on here, but before Christmas in discussion with the engineer, we were still not totally sure how much tubbing we were going to need for the suspension. In the end decided to bring it back home so I can finalise it all, then take it back for final work and paint.

Decided it was a good opportunity to properly start to finalise the rear suspension. Andrew had lent me a dummy gearbox but it was just the case. So I swapped all the gear over the old original case so I was confident drive shafts etc were in the right place. All of it so far is 3D printed mock-ups to confirm sizes before machining. To cut a long story short so far its looks really good, and I am able to get the fully inflated wheel on and off easily. When Sot comes out he is going to talk me through the best way to do the trailing arm. Then It's machining time.

Also, have mocked up the Child Restraint Anchor bar, we want to be able to take grandkids etc safely, it will also double as a nice reinforcing for the headrest tubes. Again only 3D printed ends at the moment, but basically, spring-loaded 19mm pins that go into the side of the bus so in the case of an accident all the load isn't transferred to the rock and roll bed hingle. Should look neat when it's all trimmed out and you don't see it.

Spoke to Sot and the front suspension design is basically done. Have received the dual cct master cylinder for the brakes, just waiting on the adapter. Then once that's fitted Sot will come out for one last. look before fab on the front gets fully underway.

Lastly dummied fitted the CE steering column, radio and steering wheel, and then did the obligatory broom broom noises. fun times.

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Still find it strange the lack of replies on here but I guess someone is interested, Decided to tackle one of the bigger items. Since the full rear suspension load is now taken out through the top coil-over mount, in consultation with the engineer some chassis strengthening was in order. Very happy with how neat it turned out, the diagonal angle joint had me scratching my head but ended up nice. The top RHS member sits across the opening below the fuel tank, but I am deleting the original fuel feed and going AN fitting and braided lines for fire safety, so I will just move it to rewards about 50mm to miss the RHS.

Also had a bit of an idea in my head for a while and went down to U Pull It of Saturday avo and went looking and picked a nice rear seat centre fold-down armrest. I removed the middle spings from the VW seat frame and welded in two verticle 20x20 members. I drilled out the spot welds holding its bracket to the originals eat and use M6 bolts to the verticles. When we get the car trimmed they will change it so seat the shape of the seat is better but it' fits perfectly and is the right width too. Perfect for phones etc, I plan on making a custom mini loom to have USB ports etc around the inside so I will run one to the back of the armrest.

MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

You are putting a lot of work into this bus, the attention to all the details and making it work for you is great
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Cheers mate. I am getting a little tired of welding and grinding but the end is in sight!! I know it's not a cool patina special but Suesy (and I) really want it to be a pleasure to tour in.
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Trust me are all watching this build thread
Some cool ideas going on here
Hopefully catch up this weekend at coppers workshop shindig
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Oh I like that middle fold down rest. Great idea !!
Cup holders in it too…. Perfect
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Nah no cup holders. That's a step too far!!
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Lack of replies? Mate there’s only about 20 of us left and most of us are simpletons, you’re in here reinventing the wheel and we’re still trying to figure out what CAD stands for :lol:.

I really like the armrest in the front seat, no one ever sits there anyway so a very clever idea.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

splitthis wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:20 am Lack of replies? Mate there’s only about 20 of us left and most of us are simpletons, you’re in here reinventing the wheel and we’re still trying to figure out what CAD stands for :lol:.

I really like the armrest in the front seat, no one ever sits there anyway so a very clever idea.
Probably good for those passengers whom are Vertically Challenged too :D
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Lol, that's it, from now on its not an arm rest its a dwarf seat... I think in my case its 35 years in the design and development game, and as I am totally new to VW's, I dont have any pre-concieved ideas. The danger in that is its possible I will try and fix something thats not broken, but hopefully on balance it turns out positive, time will tell :D Look forward to hopefully catching up with some of you guys at Coopers.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

splitthis wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:20 am Lack of replies? Mate there’s only about 20 of us left and most of us are simpletons, you’re in here reinventing the wheel and we’re still trying to figure out what CAD stands for :lol:.
Cups and Drinkholders is my guess...!
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......