1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Beatts
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by Beatts »

Hey Gary I spoke to a painter who knows your painter and said the bus is looking good. Any pictures of your bus in colour yet? Keen to know if your happy with the job also.
Cheers Beatts.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi Beatts, will be a while (few weeks??) before it's in actual colour. It's pretty smotthed out now (not totally) and he wants to just let it sit now for a while to fully harden before final blocking etc. I have only just decided a couple of detals like underbody colour and texture/smooth. So far I have been really happy with Dan and the team. Each time I go there Dan is happy to take as long as I like to talk through what he has done and what I am after. To my eyes the long side looks fantastic, as does the rest but It's not in colour of course, but so far so good.
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

That’s looking great! Will be keen to see how you go and hope it all turns out really well for you. Thanks for the update.
Cheers Beatts.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

No worries!! Well I must admit one of the things I love most about this caper is recieveing "bits". Got my Fuch replicas yesterday, so happy with them. Perfect timing too, as I can do my suspension mock up work with the atual wheel, rather than relying on info like offset of the website.

Griffin
DSKer

Post by Griffin »

nice wheels!
Gordon
http://www.allaircooled.com.au
63 SC my daily driver
62 11 window
60 23
59 SC (project)
68 Country Buggy KO329

56 shorty kombi-sold now a Retro RV
68 Country Buggy KO418 (sold)
67 PMG sold - sold
61 Karmann Ghia - (the wifes) sold
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

What brand of Fuchs are they mate
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

braddick wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:15 pm What brand of Fuchs are they mate
I got them through California Import Parts. They are Vintage Wheels.

Didn't get a huge amount of shed time on the week end, but the long axle tubes, axles and some hardware turned up, so I did get a chance to put more work into the mock up. Happy with the rod end pivot assy, got the design down to only two parts. That should make it simple and as inexpesive to make as possible. It's looking like I may cut the rear off the end of the torsion bar housing. Its now redundant anyway and will give a bit more real estate to bring the trailing arm around behind the wheel. Probably need to wait a bit now until the brake kit arrives then I can check exactly where I am sitting with the wheel base and clearances.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Hey mate if you are going to cut that bit off then you may as well cut the whole lot off and move it in the 30mm then you will have a straight arm and more clearance for the wheels, I think you should get your bus back before you paint it, you might have to put the shocker and spring inside the chassis rail to clear the Tyre, you should have a look at Grover in the Barndoor section, now his shocker setup is amazing
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Also some more progress on paint :)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

vanell wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:39 am Hey mate if you are going to cut that bit off then you may as well cut the whole lot off and move it in the 30mm then you will have a straight arm and more clearance for the wheels, I think you should get your bus back before you paint it, you might have to put the shocker and spring inside the chassis rail to clear the Tyre, you should have a look at Grover in the Barndoor section, now his shocker setup is amazing
Nah, not at this stage. It doesnt matter the 30mm difference as the trailing arm is fixed to the axle tube and wont flex at all, providing its stiff enough it can have a shape to it to do the job. Will take a look at Grovers, I will know more when I have the wheel bolted up and I can check the wheel base etc. Slow and steady wins the race :)
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I think you might change your mind when you get the tyres on, here’s the difference between my tallest Tyre and my lowest tyre
A8CC28BB-152E-4614-8B53-830497E1972D.jpeg
A8CC28BB-152E-4614-8B53-830497E1972D.jpeg (116.16 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
6154F65C-F6CF-4B42-B588-0000FD296443.jpeg
6154F65C-F6CF-4B42-B588-0000FD296443.jpeg (72.43 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Little bit more work last night. Just getting the CAD model to faithfully match actual, so in and out of the shed freezing my ... off to take measurements. Also speaking to Andrew and comparing his knowledge to what I am seeing which is great. It's all looking more than doable so far. Also aiming at if possible coming up with a simple toe adjustment method too. Sort of like to try and improve on something if I am going to the trouble to try and break some new ground. Just got the email saying the brake kit is now on its way over from CSP too, so that will help too, as I can mount that up and the wheel. Quite fun being back on the tools CAD wise!!

If anyone in SA has an old spring plate they can give me that I can chop up for protyping let me know. Its the end that bolts to the axle I care about.

This is the CAD model nowhere near finished, but its developing.

Not sure how many are following along, just thought I might as well keep posting progress until the admins ban me :lol:
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

I reckon there’s a few keeping tabs mate. It’s good to see someone doing something different to the way it’s always been done.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

Don’t worry about the administrators, worry about the Germans. They are watching for sure.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Nice CAD skills 8)
Refreshing and interesting to follow how this bus ends up 8) 8)

Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted: