1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

63 left hooker wrote:
VRSenator065 wrote:Cooper didn't score it buddy, I did :)
Nice work 8)
Thanks, really looking forward to getting stuck into it, very new to the VW scene, and also to body work and paint side of it, so it's going to be a very steep learning curve :)
red hot bus
DSKer

Post by red hot bus »

Yeah just missed out on it twice. First time at the wrecker the bloke said a white one was taken about a month before I found the place. Then I found it sitting behind a body shop and the guy didn't want to sell it. 2 days later Gary posted up saying he just brought it for $500 I was spewing. Owell I've got enough and I'm sure Gary will do a great job restoring it.
Way too many projects
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Yea right place right time I think. Have a pretty good idea in my mind how I would like it to end up, very sympathetic externally and visually but with uprated mechanicals. But everything I do I would like to be reversible so if anyone later on wants to take it back to totally original they can.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well I have to say its just been fantastic how friendly and helpful the people I have met so far that are in the VW scene. I spotted an add for a very sad split window on eBay that was up the road from me. Turns out to be a member on here, (Cooper) a really cool young guy obviously with a passion for split windows. Just great to be able to chat to someone knowledgeable about the various model and year differences. The car wasn't suitable for me but I did manage to get the right hand side cargo door of him he had spare. I went out to the container to drop it off and had a good dig around with what I have. So I now have the exact correct passenger front door, I also have a very good condition drivers side door, that has the wrong indent for the attachment of the door handle, but in a pinch I could use it but I may be able to swap with someone who has the right one. Also the cargo door I just got doesn't have the depression around the handle, its hard to tell but in the pic I have of it in the paddock before someone removed the doors I think I can see it had the depression. Again I could use it if I have too, or may be able to modify or swap it. Looking again at the car I am really happy with how relatively sound it is. I know there is tons and years of work ahead but I reckon its going to be a good base, so looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Here's some pics I just took

Rat214
DSKer

Post by Rat214 »

Cool, another twin tail light.
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
johnharte
DSKer

Post by johnharte »

How you getting on with this resto?
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi mate, well at present I am finishing off my last build, then I am having a bit of a break. Once I am back from that i plan of getting stuck into this. I have been quietly looking around for parts. Met a very helpful and knowledgeable member off here who I have been to see to look at what I am up against. Was very happy to score a replacement panel for the side window that had been butchered. Still on the look out for a pair of high hinge cargo doors. Went to the VW day a few months back and got very excited because a guy was selling a pair in awesome condition. Then got deflated when I saw they were low hinge. This is the side panel I scored :D

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

So now the Senators done, time to get stuck into this. Can't wait. A couple of good mates and I went out and pulled it out if the container its been in for the last year and brought it home. Had a bit of a party at my place, quite a few of my friends think I'm crazy and its too far gone, but I reckon its a beauty. Definitely going to be a very steep learning curve learning to do body work but should be a great bus once its done.

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Just a catch up post, for where I am up to now.

After lunch it got me a bit interested so I broke out some gear and started getting into it.

At first I just wanted to do a couple of spots to see how it was underneath. Ended up doing the whole roof, as well as the interior. Even the windows cleaned up really well. What steel work is there is actually pretty sound, especially from the floor up, and also the front cabin. Not bad when you consider he's 55 years old and spent a number of years in a paddock.

As I say I have never tackled body work before so actually really looking forward to giving it a go. I am not after a show quality finish, just something that will look good on the road, that we can really enjoy.

braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Thanks for sharing
Goodluck
Might c u at the next sa vw show
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Nice solid base to start with 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Great work there, love the shed as well :)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks very much all, yea I think its pretty solid from the waist up, I appreciate there is a lot of work but really very happy with it tbh. At least it will be saved from the scrap heap.

The shed is a bit of a hobby in itself, I have a half height hoist, and behind the main work area is a room I had once had as a gym that now I call the tool room with a small lathe, grinders, welder etc, so over the years i have built up a nice collection of gear. Not much in the way of body work stuff though as yet. Pretty sure Andrew is a memebr on here, he is hoping to come out Sunday and talk me through getting started which will be great, so i can start to work out a plan of attack.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I will be coming past your place next Saturday would love to come and have a look, I'm welding up one at the moment can give you some tips also. Ian
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

vanell wrote:I will be coming past your place next Saturday would love to come and have a look, I'm welding up one at the moment can give you some tips also. Ian
Hi mate, what a bummer, my wife and I are out all Saturday doing volunteer work for the tour down under. Another day though for sure!!