1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well that was a bit of fun. Andrew came over yesterday in his fantastic 356 Porsche. He could have left that for me :)

Anyhow, he went through pretty much everything with me, yep its going to be a huge job, but I did know that. Will make all the more satisfying when its done. Sounds like he thinks mines about par, I guess you guys know its just how they are.

So I am going to buy some 20mm RHS tubing to use to used tacked in to stop it all moving as I cut it up. Then once i have finished cuting out all the main rusty panels I can send if off to get it media blasted and then see really what i have to deal with.

I also need to make a up a transport Dolley, any suggestions on what RHS size to use? I was thinking maybe 65 x 35 x 2.5, then with 4 large casters at each corner. If anyone has a pic of what they have done would be interested.

So very keen to get started, he is going to look a hell of a lot worse before he starts to look better, but really looking fwd to making a start.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Made a good start today. Was a bit apprehensive at first but sort of just plodded along. Started off by using some 20x20 and bracing the front as Andrew had suggested. Just holds it all in place whilst you basically pull the car to pieces. Used my new mig. Have to say its years since I last used one, prob need to brush up on that a bit, but I guess by the end I will be back to OK :)

Then used a flap disc and ground back the crimped edge on the nose on each side, then used a spot weld drill bit to spot face the few spot welds. Ran a 1mm cut off saw across the windscreen channel. Need to tidy it all up but the nose is off. Then started the disassembly. Lots of it is held with Phillips head or regular cross head screws. of course after 55 years almost all are rusted on. Had a crack using some heat from my mini gas flame torch and bingo, that was the answer.

So have the glass out, nose off, front parcel shelf, speedo (which looks like its in perfect condition, and all the switches etc. The wiring loom is actually in pretty good nick, so I may be able to salvage that. The rest is as I expected, looks worse than it is, the bottom is completely toast, but above that is salvageable. Great to be into it finally.

The Senators out front of the shed, so reckon I may take that for a spin around the block before I put it away. Good times :)

Few pics for posterity;

rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Great start there mate :)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Cheers buddy, really enjoyed today, nice to be making a start.
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Kicking its ass already 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor
Wassa
DSKer

Post by Wassa »

Well done, only gets better from there, little bit at a time , fix that little bit then move to the next bit, all stages.... less stress trying to do too much at a time... keep the photos coming :D
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks all, yea I plan on taking heaps of pics. And as you say, take it just one step at a time. At least at this stage I am not having to spend much, its more effort. I want to get it all cut out etc then send it off for media blasting, then I will really know what I have to work with (pretty sure that wont be a great day!)

Have ordered some 65x35 steel, I plan on making up a right angle style dolly so I can tilt it over on its side to get to the underneath easier. I want to put a bit of effort into that, firstly its probably going to be on it for quite a while, and I was thinking I might sell it after to someone wanting one.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

This is the style of dolly I have in mind.
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

I can vouch for that dolly style, well balanced.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Cam Arnott wrote:I can vouch for that dolly style, well balanced.
Thanks for that, I had seen a few images on the net but did wonder what the actual experience was like. For me in my shed I think it will be perfect.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Cam Arnott wrote:I can vouch for that dolly style, well balanced.

X2, I get it started with the jack and can then roll it onto the 45 section by myself. If you are going to replace the nose with a new one I'd love to buy the top corners off your original, let me know if it's getting scrapped.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

No worries, dont worry I won't be scrapping anything, I know how helpful bits and pieces can be to others. But i will keep all the old parts for at least a while until I'm sure I don't need them.
red hot bus
DSKer

Post by red hot bus »

Looks good mate I might have to call in one day and have a look.
Way too many projects
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

red hot bus wrote:Looks good mate I might have to call in one day and have a look.
For sure, anytime.
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

nice work ..I made that dolly setup out of some curved bunk beds to see if it worked and very good result for small shed , had a roll around setup with 4 casters and made the rollover sections removeable so I could swap sides
Straight axle is better than IRS