1957 Samba - 23 Window found :) Share from Canada.

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

dawerks
DSKer

Re: 1957 Samba - 23 Window found :) Share from Canada.

Post by dawerks »

Only one side is jacked up (front) and there is a series of measurements that I have taken from the manual and off of my other 23 Window. The idea is to fix the smallest areas of rust before moving to the drivers side (more bracing will be required as it's more rusty, the passenger side was the 'good' side!) ha!!

I welded a front cross brace in the front after taking the measurements 'just in case'. The rockers, etc will be done after it's lowered back down and re-measured (same for the door gaps). Also the center belly pan is perfectly square and solid so I am happy :)
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

that all sounds good then. You could take out the centre belly pan later without damaging it easily enough so you could clean off the rails and return it. No hidden surprises then. Id also be concerned with the collapse of the frame rail arch going forward of the front cross member. It looks to me in the photo the section isn't 90degrees any more (ie lipped under) which suggests flex downward at the front and plenty of rust. I hope you can see what I mean. Did your front doors sit low in comparison to your other bus or rub on the tops of the doglegs?

All the best with this. Mine was a lot friendlier.

cheers
Dale
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
dawerks
DSKer

Post by dawerks »

Sorry for the late response!

The frame rails are jacked because someone decided to lift the bus with a forklift (ouch!). Plus the fact the frame rails were already rusty means they are bent, twisted and rusted. It's going to take bit of work to get them all straight and pretty again!

I am planning on taking it to a professional jig/frame repair place to make sure it's straight and level. It's easy to measure stuff, but the jig shows any problems side to side/top to bottom that measurements won't be able to 'see'.