1960 11 Window (Vic)

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Cutza
DSKer

1960 11 Window (Vic)

Post by Cutza »

Thought it was time to start asking the experts a few questions about the split I have and start a project post. While not much, well nothing really, has happened with this project in the way of changes, I have started to investigate what I am actually missing. One current question I have is did this splitty come with a fuel gauge or not? It looks like the front and dash have been replaced at some stage and there is not fuel tank either to help solve the puzzle. I will attached some pics which may provide some clues. I have checked the wiring loom but at this stage cannot locate a fuel gauge sender wire in the rear or at the dash (could be missing). Pictures will show two knobs under the seat. One I know is for the heater and the other could be for the choke or could it be for the reserve tap? Looking in the engine bay I did note the black wire has two connecters. Could one be for auto choke? Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3953.JPG
IMG_3952.JPG
botcolon
DSKer

Re: 1960 11 Window (Vic)

Post by botcolon »

best to start with the chassis number. That will ID you exact mon/year. Fuel gauges weren't introduced until late 61 I think. Someone with more expertise will verify this. What makes you think the dash isn't original?

michael
Cutza
DSKer

Post by Cutza »

Yeah done the number. Aug 1960. Checked TheSamba and VintageBus in the progressive refinements. I think your correct, according to refinements 31 July 1961 for fuel gauge but that might be for USA models. Not sure.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 8.36.38 pm.png
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Wouldn't have had a fuel gauge. The dash switches are Left: wipers Right: Lights Bellow seat, Small: choke and Large: heater
Hope this helps 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

Fuel gauges added July 61 all splits & big nob under seat is the reserve fuel tank switch over knob.
http://mirrorimageweddings.com.au/
I am seatless none nudda zero zilch, have some lefties seeing that's the flavour of the month :oops:
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Now this is getting confusing :wink:

Didn't automatic chokes come in before the introduction of fuel gauges, so the first small knob under the seat to be eliminated would have been the manual choke control in mid 1960. The second small knob under the seat to be eliminated was the fuel tap control with the introduction of a fuel gauges in July 1961 as per the attached. That just leaves the large star shaped knob under the seat to control the heater.
Attachments
081-K-14 (2).jpg
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

So Cutza, your bus didn't come with a fuel gauge, with the small knob under the seat for the fuel tap control.
Cutza
DSKer

Post by Cutza »

Thanks all for the replies. The Heater and Fuel Tap knob under the seat makes sense looking at it now. The lack of choke knob also makes sense given the black wire in the engine bay (engine missing also) has two connectors, one I assume for the auto choke and the other for the ignition coil. Thanks DSKers.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

another easy way to confirm is to get under the bus and see if there is/was a reserve cable bracket under the fuel tank tray. It should be right next to the rectangle hole.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.