65 11window Darwin Bus

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

vanell
DSKer

65 11window Darwin Bus

Post by vanell »

Drove this back from Adelaide with the Revolks Adelaide crew, and have been looking at selling it but the roof is nasty and has been putting people off, so im going to repair from the swage line up, bought a new front for it and a dogleg, fix all the door gaps put new rubbers in it an call it done. Started yesterday pulling it apart made a list of what I need, will put a slide back canvas roof in it, paint the top and inside a nice white colour and leave the outside bottom half as it is and blend in the green.
Ian
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Re: 65 11window Darwin Bus

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Toms old bus?

Yep rather nasty in the roof department! Good to see it get some love
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Yep Tim's old bus, I sold him my grey ute two years ago, its still here in Vic, he had it club reg'd and drives it when he comes to Vic to see his mum, he's become a good friend and went sailing with him last time I was in Darwin, you should hit him up for a sail, he's always keen to go sailing, its a huge catamaran, and was owned by Elle Mcpherson's Dad, and he would love a contact for kombi stuff. Ian
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

took the front and pass dogleg off today, not too many surprises, will need to fix the drivers side A pillar tho because of a bad repair but the bottoms of both A pillars are quite good and will not need replacing, parts arrive late Jan that I ordered so I might start fixing the roof.

vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Been fixing the cargo doors, they were a bit messed up, they were both been pushed in too hard in the centre and took a bit of bending back to get the right curve in the doors, and fix both bottom hinges
see how far out the second door was after I have fixed the first. Got my parts today so I will start from the front again.
The paint colour is Torquise anybody know the Dulux or PPG code for this
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Nice one Ian
Great to c u giving the bus some love, don't forget the brakes too ha ha :-)
hypa6
DSKer

Post by hypa6 »

tuerkis, code is LL6g
hypa6
DSKer

Post by hypa6 »

but your bus looks alot bluer than tuerkis, there must be a few
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

The outside has been painted with a brush, inside has the proper colour on it, it has the balm paints code 1/3/602 turquoise
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

New dogleg on and floor section in and did a trial fit on the WW front, the fit is fantastic, it has got to be the best way of getting the front fixed. Ian
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Spent all day trying to get the drivers door nice, must have bent that top hinge 40 times, turns out the bottom hinge was bent slighty once I straightend that the door fitted nice, had to fix a bad repair on the drivers side A pillar, got a peice from 067dub ( looked too big when I got it but turns out it had 30 layers of paint on it, well a few layers anyway, spent some time stripping all that paint ) Just goes to show one persons trash is another persons treasure, thanks 067dub it was perfect for what I needed, pulled it apart and welded the back piece on then cut off the hinge side, weld that up tommorrow
onto the drivers floor replacement next then tackle the radio hole hack
Bindy
Newly Converted

Post by Bindy »

Thanks for this thread, I am new to the forum and a very non-garage-handy female but loving all this info and can't wait to find my very own splitty in the cabbage patch soon. Your resto reads like a thrilling novel. Bated breath for the next installment and the big reveal at the end...! Thanks again
Bindy
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Worked on the front and finished welding the front panels on, also put new bottoms on the A pillars, rust converter on and some etch primer, will two pack prime when all the front is finished, still havnt welded the A pillar up yet, ran out of gas, so cut out the drivers floor, it was a bad repair there as well, they welded it up without repairing the floor properly which makes the dogleg fit badly, more welding next week, got to do some paying jobs in the meantime. Ian
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Nice one Ian
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

4 days of welding and grinding, drivers floor all welded in, A pillar repaired and all welded up, 3 side windows all repaired, and fixed the hinges on the doors by making a sleeve for them
used stainless tube and drilled the hinge to 9.5 mm
Then pressed that in and drilled this out to 8mm
Put the door back on and happy with the gaps