65 11window Darwin Bus

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

vanell
DSKer

Re: 65 11window Darwin Bus

Post by vanell »

Also been working on the roof, cut down a full size roof from a Bay Kombi, cut it in four sections and had my mate fibreglass it back together, still need to trim it up but it looks like a winner, get that bolted on and start getting the roof back into shape, got a used camping interior from brad at bus n bug, and got a rock and roll bed for it, so its back to being a camper.
Still got to fix the rust spot over the pass door and you can see the brace I put in, maybe a bit of over kill but I think it will keep it in the gaps in the doors right
Just click on the photos for larger image
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Also fixed the dash, got the piece from the guy who advertises on the samba from Japan, it was LHD so had to cut it and turn it round to suit, welded in, just needs a smear of bog and all good

4tune8
DSKer

Post by 4tune8 »

Very nice work Ian

thanks again for the alloy tank

cheers
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

vanell wrote:Also fixed the dash, got the piece from the guy who advertises on the samba from Japan, it was LHD so had to cut it and turn it round to suit, welded in, just needs a smear of bog and all good

Looking good Ian. Sorry i couldn't get hold of that radio section for you, I have a really good excuse which I will go into next time I see you.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Been working on the back, cut the valance panel up into three pieces coz it was stuffed, just used the top piece and made the other 2 pieces.
Image Image ImageImage
Will need to adjust the gaps when I fix one of the top hinges, on to the roof now to fix the rust over the cargo and passenger doors, Ian
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

Sweet. Great job. Keep it going.
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Today I made the piece over the passenger door, not exactly correct as I joined it in where the seal goes, but happy with it, when you repair these things you seem to be working back to front on how it goes together, will do the inside tommorrow and the roof brace back in.
Image Image Image
While I was working on this today I was thinking I would love to go back to 1965 on the day this was being put together at Clayton and tell that prick with the spot welder that half of those spot welds would be plenty. Ian
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Im back on this, cant believe its been over a year since ive worked on it, I used a piece of the old roof from the cubby hut to repair the nasty hole in the roof, this thing drives nice but looks ugly but i think ugly can be fixed, anyway this bus is all standard with the original running gear and I was inspired by the off road look that Cam and Cooper are doing so I put some offroad tyres on it, I welded the roof repair in today and it has gone in quite well, grind it up tommorrow and fix a few dints.
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG (48.32 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Finished welding the roof and ground it back, and put the front on, put the doors back on to check the gaps, its coming together quite well
IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

You're a machine! Whats the plans for the roof? Bog and shiny paint?
2018 Year of the Barndoor
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Yep bog an shiny paint, will get a proper painter to straighten it up a bit and paint, not set up to paint at home, might paint shiny white paint to swage line, worry about the bottom at a later date, Ian
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Its looking a lot better than when it lived up here!

Nice work
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Great job on the roof!
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Worked on the headlight buckets today, cut them out of the old front, welded up the rust holes, would have been heaps easier to use the new buckets I have but the later kombis have a different shape bucket, and are seen on the inside, and use a different shape kick panel, trial fitted them along with the emblem, I have a new bumper for it, will staighten the old one to keep for my 60 bus, cargo door tommorrow, finish up welding the repair panel in it. Ian
IMG_2044.JPG
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Man you are smashing it, top stuff!!