58 11 window " The Cubby Hut "

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

vanell
DSKer

58 11 window " The Cubby Hut "

Post by vanell »

I bought this 58 at the start of the year, it was on ebay and was used as a cubby hut, I had a look at it on a trip back from Adelaide and could not believe how little rust was in it, sure it had no front but the cargo and back doors had great gaps and all the inner door handles were still there, over the last 6 months I have been collecting parts and finally got the front for it from Andrew in Nhill, I bought a complete roof off the samba, new doglegs and front panels and repair panels, I will now start welding this all back up, my parts from USA wont turn up till Jan next year so it will take a while to complete. I will post up what I have so far and over the next months will add more. Ian
Image Image Image Image Image Image
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Re: 58 11 window " The Cubby Hut "

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

Awesome, looking forward to watching this project!
StevieVW
DSKer

Post by StevieVW »

I saw this one on ebay.

I purchased something similar a while back.

Id be very interested to see how you have attacked the reallignment and splicing the chassis rails together! I have most of the peices, but wouldnt mind seeing someones ideas on making two into one again.

No doubt it takes a little longer than when whoever cut it apart.....
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I plan on cutting out a 15 to 25 mm section where the outrigger come out so that I can line up the sheet metal parts without worrying if the chassis is perfect, I will only tack the chassis together and only fully weld it after all the front and doors are on, that way I can adjust it if need be, and reinforce it then, the join will be covered by the outrigger
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Oh hell yes!!! Can't wait to see this build!! 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor
DRHEMS3
DSKer

Post by DRHEMS3 »

Oh damn! Now that's a rebuild!
gaz
DSKer

Post by gaz »

A build from the chassis up....this will be good, looking forward to the progress pictures.
jvm
DSKer

Post by jvm »

Great project and kudos for putting a front end back on her. I'm sure most (me included) thought 'trailer' when it was on EBay.
58 Flash
66 11 Window
69 Single Cab
19 Arteon
greenmachine
DSKer

Post by greenmachine »

Was it dark blue with a white roof at some stage? and was the owner of the cubby house a biker looking dude?
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Yep dark blue with a white roof, the story I got was that in the 80's some hippies dropped it off at the vw repair place in Stawell, the repair bill was too much for them so they left it there, over the years they took parts off it and cut the front off , the guy I bought it off use to work there and asked if he could have it for a cubby hut, it's been on his property for over 10 years. I have trimmed all the front sheet metal now and this week the sandblaster will attack it, still can't do much tho till my roof turns up. Ian
greenmachine
DSKer

Post by greenmachine »

was the guy a biker looking dude?
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Not really, farmer looking dude to me, not a bike in sight, maybe you are thinking of someone else, or maybe you know more than me!
greenmachine
DSKer

Post by greenmachine »

Could be mistaken, but it would be quite a coincidence for 2 dark blue Kombis with white roofs ending up as cubby houses in someones back yard more than 10 years ago in Adelaide, Agree!
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Finally got all my parts so Im back on it, going to make it a 15 window but need to check the rear window measurements, mainly the gap between the pop out windows, as in adding the next window, is it the same gap as all the windows or smaller ?, and the corner window gap. anybody with a 15 window take a measurement for me, a picture would be great, thanks Ian 0409696374
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

The gap between the third and fourth windows is smaller. Pretty sure the gap between the fourth and corner windows is equal to the third/fourth gap. I no longer have one to measure for you but I am sure someone here will help you out. I have seen a fake 21 where the non VW savvy panel beaters just made the gap the same as the others and the fourth window ended up too close to the seam at the rear. It looked all kinds of wrong.
Squat, place chin on chest, tuck head and tip forward, shoulders connect with ground and back follows through, legs go over the top and feet land on the ground. That's how I roll!