My 60 11 Window Bus

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

New dude
DSKer

My 60 11 Window Bus

Post by New dude »

So, unfortunately my 11 window bus caught on fire; note to self, don;t put off tomorrow what you can do today. People; buy a fire suppression system!

Anyway, AL from Das Resto Haus has taken on the job and is doing an amazing job at that. As Al was putting his name to it, we had to take it back to bare metal and start again as whilst we thought we knew the car, you can never guarantee anything in life. Unfortunately, even though I was under the impression the bus was restored with great attention to detail previously, this is far from the case as you will see. For more information on this, please refer to my post under anything goes for a bit of a backgrounder. Anyway, some pics thanks to Al. A quick shout out to Das Resto Haus; they only know one way of restoring cars, and that is correctly. Pleased they have taken on the job and accommodating my requests; very talented team and great people to deal with.

sorry, a few of the pics aren't in order, but you'll get the idea

Anyway some pics;

or you can follow the resto thread from Al at http://dasrestohaus.com.au/gallery2/v/C ... 11+Window/
Attachments
following a fire, she arrives at Das Resto Haus; dusty and feeling sorry for himself
following a fire, she arrives at Das Resto Haus; dusty and feeling sorry for himself
still looks good.......
still looks good.......
Nov8 2016 6.jpg
Nov8 2016 7.jpg
Ouch.  Get a fire suppression system!
Ouch. Get a fire suppression system!
Nov8 2016 13.jpg
Nov8 2016 15.jpg
Nov21 2016 1.jpg
Nov29 2016 2.jpg
Nov29 2016 3.jpg
Last edited by New dude on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
New dude
DSKer

Re: My 60 11 Window Bus

Post by New dude »

Some more pics
Attachments
Lower b-pillar was replaced previously but cargo door screw holes were just a big hacked oval rather than the dimpled individual holes
Lower b-pillar was replaced previously but cargo door screw holes were just a big hacked oval rather than the dimpled individual holes
short side was too rough to be repaired properly, easier to replace with a  new panel
short side was too rough to be repaired properly, easier to replace with a new panel
Bulkhead was haggered, but will have to be repaired as new ones aren't available and finding good originals is almost impossible nowadays
Bulkhead was haggered, but will have to be repaired as new ones aren't available and finding good originals is almost impossible nowadays
Oh s*&t.  Not what anyone expected
Oh s*&t. Not what anyone expected
Off to blasters - hopefully nothing nasty....
Off to blasters - hopefully nothing nasty....
Ahh, shouldn't this be attached?
Ahh, shouldn't this be attached?
New nose is the only way to repair it properly
New nose is the only way to repair it properly
was full of bog, so had to be done properly
was full of bog, so had to be done properly
Jan17 2017 5.jpg
Jan17 2017 7.jpg
Last edited by New dude on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

and more
Attachments
Jan18 2017 1.jpg
Jan18 2017 2.jpg
not sure what to say about this really
not sure what to say about this really
Jan19 2017 3.jpg
past repairs...
past repairs...
ahhh, okay then
ahhh, okay then
I felt a little sick seeing this one
I felt a little sick seeing this one
Jan18 2017 8.jpg
so much better
so much better
All edges painted with weld through primer for corrosion protection (has to be bare metalled for adequate weld penetration first)
All edges painted with weld through primer for corrosion protection (has to be bare metalled for adequate weld penetration first)
Last edited by New dude on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

some more
Attachments
Jan19 2017 7.jpg
As the doglegs had been replaced previously and nothing lined up particularly well, the new Klassic Fab b-pillar section had to be cut and shut to line up with the dogleg and cargo door aperture
As the doglegs had been replaced previously and nothing lined up particularly well, the new Klassic Fab b-pillar section had to be cut and shut to line up with the dogleg and cargo door aperture
Lower nose support strip across the valance had to be cut off and repositioned to allow correct positioning of the nose
Lower nose support strip across the valance had to be cut off and repositioned to allow correct positioning of the nose
A-pillar (windscreen) join welded and dressed
A-pillar (windscreen) join welded and dressed
centre pillar same....
centre pillar same....
Right side done too.
Right side done too.
Nose folded around a-pillars and welded
Nose folded around a-pillars and welded
New Klassic Fab cargo door sill being prepared for installation
New Klassic Fab cargo door sill being prepared for installation
C-pillar had to be porta powered out quite a bit to correct alignment first
C-pillar had to be porta powered out quite a bit to correct alignment first
The new quarter panel was a few mm too long so it has to be tweaked to fit between the c-pillar and rear corner. Also you can't get a spot welder into the top edge above the vents so this area is cut out and butt welded to the original panel
The new quarter panel was a few mm too long so it has to be tweaked to fit between the c-pillar and rear corner. Also you can't get a spot welder into the top edge above the vents so this area is cut out and butt welded to the original panel
Last edited by New dude on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

still more
Attachments
You can see the rear fold has been straightened out and will be refolded and reshaped to match the curvature of the corner once the rest of the panel fits correctly
You can see the rear fold has been straightened out and will be refolded and reshaped to match the curvature of the corner once the rest of the panel fits correctly
The alignment of the new sill is obviously far better than before
The alignment of the new sill is obviously far better than before
ph look, it lines up
ph look, it lines up
Jan25 2017 5.jpg
Jan25 2017 6.jpg
Like a lot of other parts of the bus, the engine lid was pretty average with poor fit, poor gaps and poor alignment, plus a few poor repairs thrown in for good measure
Like a lot of other parts of the bus, the engine lid was pretty average with poor fit, poor gaps and poor alignment, plus a few poor repairs thrown in for good measure
Fortunately the rear hatch was not too bad
Fortunately the rear hatch was not too bad
The engine lid hinges are supposed to be screwed to the lid, obviously the captive nut plates were too hard to repair so the hinges were just welded to the lid
The engine lid hinges are supposed to be screwed to the lid, obviously the captive nut plates were too hard to repair so the hinges were just welded to the lid
Buy the time we would have spent several hours unpicking the hinges, re fabricating the captive nut plates and surrounding metal and repairing the rest of the lid, it was more cost effective to replace it with a new lid
Buy the time we would have spent several hours unpicking the hinges, re fabricating the captive nut plates and surrounding metal and repairing the rest of the lid, it was more cost effective to replace it with a new lid
DAS Resto Parts supplied the new lid and hinges and funnily enough it fits well! Just a bit of tweaking to the quarter panels to come (where they grafted in new tail light sections in the previous resto, but otherwise much more acceptable
DAS Resto Parts supplied the new lid and hinges and funnily enough it fits well! Just a bit of tweaking to the quarter panels to come (where they grafted in new tail light sections in the previous resto, but otherwise much more acceptable
Last edited by New dude on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

another lot
Attachments
Feb8 2017 6.jpg
Feb8 2017 7.jpg
I really felt sick when I saw this; according to Al "Long side was lumpy to put it nicely"
I really felt sick when I saw this; according to Al "Long side was lumpy to put it nicely"
So it too had to come off to make way for a new panel
So it too had to come off to make way for a new panel
Oops, most of forgotten this last time...
Oops, most of forgotten this last time...
ahh, that's better, it's attached
ahh, that's better, it's attached
Few other problems with the pillars could be rectified at the same time with the long side removed
Few other problems with the pillars could be rectified at the same time with the long side removed
The right side b pills was previously replaced but alignment was a....little...out  :0
The right side b pills was previously replaced but alignment was a....little...out :0
The right side dog leg was replaced back in the day before quality repro panels were available - but rather than replacing the whole thing again, a few problem areas could be rectified like the rear edge fold which was rounded over
The right side dog leg was replaced back in the day before quality repro panels were available - but rather than replacing the whole thing again, a few problem areas could be rectified like the rear edge fold which was rounded over
The section was cut out, the inner b pillar repaired
The section was cut out, the inner b pillar repaired
Last edited by New dude on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

and some more
Attachments
Then a new section was welded in
Then a new section was welded in
The rear corner repairs weren't overly straight as evidenced by the tight gap to the engine lid down the bottom compared to the top, so some more surgery was required here
The rear corner repairs weren't overly straight as evidenced by the tight gap to the engine lid down the bottom compared to the top, so some more surgery was required here
The corner was cut and shut to rectify the gaps
The corner was cut and shut to rectify the gaps
Fully welded and dressed....gaps back to where they should be
Fully welded and dressed....gaps back to where they should be
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Sorry to hear about the fire, and then to see the pics of what lurked beneath :shock: Al and the boys helped me out back in the day with my Panel van when another "resto" shop went bust.
She is in good hands now. Look forward to following its progress. 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Holy Moly.....
Looks like this bus...surely not :|

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10071&p=95421&hilit ... sto#p95421
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

WOW :shock: ... just WOW :?
Good to see it getting the treatment to bud deserves... Jas hope it all works out for you mate :wink:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
tatvw
DSKer

Post by tatvw »

Bloody shinny buses! Amazing what bog can hide
63 samba
63 Panel