Douglas the '61 Panelvan

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

63bus
DSKer

Douglas the '61 Panelvan

Post by 63bus »

Hey Guys, my name is Noah, an avid 16-year old VeeDubber, who with my father, Frank, are the current owners of a 63 Turkis Standard Kombi, 61 Single Cab and 74 Superbug and have recently purchased a February 1961 ex-PMG panelvan.
This bus was purchased from Sam the AussieKombiHunter from his property in Bathurst, NSW.
Sam found this bus in a small town called Carinda, approximately 150kilometres South of Lightning Ridge in the NSW Far Northern region. It was found in the tip of the property, situated 30 minutes from the nearest access point and gravel road.

Once Sam sighted the Bus, it was found to be on its side with the roof cut off and missing several parts, including the top half of hump seat, rear beam, engine, and gearbox. After searching the property's other tips, he located the drivers' side door, one headlight bucket, engine tinware, bumpers, engine lid, and bottom half of hump seat. Unfortunately, the whereabouts of the Cargo Doors could not be ascertained.
Sam, with the assistance of a farm tractor and the owner of the property, successfully loaded the bus onto a trailer for transportation to Bathurst, where I could view and pick up the bus. (Link to Video of this process is located below.)

On Wednesday 27 December 2017, Dad and I made the trip from Castle Hill to Bathurst in the '61 single-cab for the purchase of the bus. We met up with our mate in Bathurst who had arranged for a car trailer to transport the bus from Bathurst home to Sydney.
We met Sam at his residence, then cruised to his property where the van was located.
When the bus came into my view, I was elated with joy and overcome with sheer emotion at the sight of such a fantastic van.
The beast was loaded onto the car trailer.
After a search of Sam's property, several parts caught my eye which was purchased for 'Douglas'.

The return-trip to Sydney was uneventful, and the van made it home in one piece.
The major concern of my father was the issue of how the van would be unloaded into our carport, seeing as the driveway is a fairly tight fit, and due to the fact that the van does not have a rear beam, and the two front rims were seized.
After a lengthy challenge unloading the van from the trailer, the van was finally under the carport. Having previously purchased four hydraulic vehicle positioning jacks, the van was able to be maneuvered with ease, once finally disembarked from the trailer.

After an eventful and gratifying day, it was time for rest.
It will be a long and tedious operation to restore Douglas to a 'Rat'.

If any of you DSK'ers have any spare parts that would be suitable for the van, please get in contact with me by sending a message to 0459 415 896. Open to negotiations and the possibility of trades. I do have several rare splitty parts in my back shed.
I will be posting on this thread all the work carried out on the van, so keep an eye out. :D

Please enjoy the selection of images of 'Douglas'.
Link for Video of Rescue: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcxn0s6BBVq ... ombihunter

Regards,
Noah.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.png
3.png (230.58 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Last edited by 63bus on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG
63bus
DSKer

Re: Douglas the '61 Panelvan

Post by 63bus »

Day 1:

Today I had a good look around the Kombi and was delighted to see it is a very solid bus, with only the need to work on the rear bottom corners, battery tray, the floor, dog legs, above the door, jacking points, one-quarter of the front floor, and rear wheel arches as they have cut out at one point.
I had gone over the numbers of the bus, body number is DV2001 and Chassis number is 727500. This means it is an early-February 1961 model.

The front nose is very solid. It may be of interest that the bus is riddled with bullet holes. I believe this may add character to the 'Rat' look when it gets back on the road.
After having a look around, I decided to strip some of the paint on the rear of the bus, to reveal the original colour of PMG Red.
Easy off oven cleaner was used to remove the top layer of paint.
The red paint is in extremely good condition, considering the 56 year age of the paint.

I tried to locate the original PMG sign writing near the back air intake for the engine, however, could not be located, nor could it be found on the drivers' side door.
I have been advised by Tony Wombwell that the sign writing could have been removed when the bus was decommissioned.

Here are some images of the progress of the work, as you can see there is still an awful lot to do.

1 re.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.JPG
10.JPG
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

Nice work mate, great to see another young bloke getting into it
63bus
DSKer

Post by 63bus »

MID WEST DUBBER wrote:Nice work mate, great to see another young bloke getting into it
Cheers mate, would love to talk to you about your 63 Bus.

Noah.
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Nice looking bus, roofs are over rated anyway! Good to see some young blood on here, keep the progress pics coming.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
63bus
DSKer

Post by 63bus »

Day 2:

Was rummaging through the back area of the bus and found some unique items, including a shower head, wheel nuts, a mix of bullets casings and live bullets, cargo door rubbers, and a piece of the amber break tail light.

Too hot outside to be working on Douglas, so I decided to clean up some of the parts that came with it.
Original sun visor came up well with a bit of Jif, original splitty hella headlight came up well with a bit of polish and glass cleaner. And last but not least, I cleaned up the unobtainable 50/50 '61 only tail-lights and these came up extremely well, with a bit of pitting. I was lucky enough to have the housings for these, but unfortunately, as always the case, the lenses are gone. If anyone has any OG lenses, I am happy to pay good money for them.

Cheers,
Noah
1.JPG
2new.jpg
3new.jpg
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG
63bus
DSKer

Post by 63bus »

splitthis wrote:Nice looking bus, roofs are over rated anyway! Good to see some young blood on here, keep the progress pics coming.
Yeah cheers mate.

Noah
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Good score mate and good on you for jumping into a project like this. You'll learn a lot of new skills!

Lots of good info to be found here.

Cheers
63bus
DSKer

Post by 63bus »

Cam Biscuit wrote:Good score mate and good on you for jumping into a project like this. You'll learn a lot of new skills!

Lots of good info to be found here.

Cheers

Cheers Cam.
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG
63bus
DSKer

Post by 63bus »

Day 3:

Hey guys,
Bit of a quiet one today - tried to remove the speedo from the dash, however, I was unsuccessful, and after my dad attempted to remove it, was also unsuccessful, as pictures suggest the speedo has been severely rusted.
The screws holding the speedo in place are very rusted and are proving to be difficult to remove.
I was able to get a picture of the date stamped on the back of the speedo, which is dated 12/61, however, the bus is 2/61. Figure that one out!!

I purchased two splitty speedos from Sam, as seen in images below. The complete one is stamped 7/64 and the non-complete one is stamped 9/62. If anyone has one close to 12/61 please let me know, am willing to pay you for it.
Also had a look in the back shed, and found a splitty speedo sitting there in very good condition, stamped 5/62. Yes I am a perfectionist and would prefer one closer to 12/61.

Cheers,
Noah.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5up.jpg
6.jpg
7up.jpg
IMG_4259.JPG
IMG_4261.JPG
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

I don’t think the 12/61 speedo would be the original as being a PMG I think they had a trip counter speedo
63bus
DSKer

Post by 63bus »

MID WEST DUBBER wrote:I don’t think the 12/61 speedo would be the original as being a PMG I think they had a trip counter speedo
Yeah true mate. I think they're unobtainable now to purchase.
Damn :(

Is there any signs of it being a trip speedo?

Cheers.
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG
kombiing
DSKer

Post by kombiing »

Nice work Noah, have fun with it mate!
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

63bus wrote:
MID WEST DUBBER wrote:I don’t think the 12/61 speedo would be the original as being a PMG I think they had a trip counter speedo
Yeah true mate. I think they're unobtainable now to purchase.
Damn :(

Is there any signs of it being a trip speedo?

Cheers.
No signs of being a trip speedo. Here is a pic of the one I got for my bus
9E7E2552-FACB-45B8-B1E1-DE0EAE792635.jpeg
63bus
DSKer

Post by 63bus »

kombiing wrote:Nice work Noah, have fun with it mate!
Thanks Juri. :D
63 Turkis 11W
61 PMG Panel
61 SC
74 L'BUG