DSKer

Re: 60 Micro Bus

Post by D-Train »

Nice work!
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Epoxy primed the cab while I try to find some one to bog the outside, I'm absolutely useless at bogging, put too much in then sand too much out, maybe might even paint colour inside.
IMG_4794.JPG
IMG_4795.JPG
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Guys this a genuine question, as I am new to buses. Coming from the high HP modern mod world. making changes like to the chassis to fit a different beam would necessitate an engineers report before it could be registered. Are the cops etc more lenient with these old girls? Can you get away with a bit more? Just wondering. I want to airbag mine, and if it doesn't have to be fully "engineered" it will save thousands of dollars. Cheers Gary
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Engineers report. Yeah that's a tough decision, get it going and plead ignorant ?, I think there comes a time when you step over the line, use all kombi parts regardless of year I think doesn't require a report, However Air bag I think crosses over that line, as for welded chassis I think is as bad as flipped spindles, straight axle welding, weld in IRS kits, but that's how you have to go about it to lower it, and one persons welding job will be better than others, its all relative, if it looks like crap then an engineer would be a great idea, but most people on here are not reinventing the wheel, its all been done before, I guess i'm trying to say if its crap it's crap, if is done good it's good
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks for the reply. Actually it's pretty much the same then in the performance car realm. Some guys wing it. Others (like me) go the whole hog. I guess it depends on what risk you are comfortable taking. In my case I just couldn't live with going to a car show and there being the cops set up with a defect station and it failed.
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

vanell wrote:Epoxy primed the cab while I try to find some one to bog the outside, I'm absolutely useless at bogging, put too much in then sand too much out, maybe might even paint colour inside.
IMG_4794.JPG
IMG_4795.JPG
That’s coming along nicely, won’t be long knowing you and it will be registered.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

looks excellent, visual progress is everything !
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

looking good. Clever thinking with the beam!
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
kombi niko
DSKer

Post by kombi niko »

VRSenator065 wrote:Guys this a genuine question, as I am new to buses. Coming from the high HP modern mod world. making changes like to the chassis to fit a different beam would necessitate an engineers report before it could be registered. Are the cops etc more lenient with these old girls? Can you get away with a bit more? Just wondering. I want to airbag mine, and if it doesn't have to be fully "engineered" it will save thousands of dollars. Cheers Gary
soon as you mod the chassis then its engineers time. To give you a idea of cost to air ride your bus mine cost me 13K back in 2014 biggest problem you will face now it the air ride suspension kits have been discontinued (ce engineering) and the self leveling controller units (accuair) have gone bust in the usa because of covid. These were the only kits to be able to be passed in Australia. The other problem is if your over 5'11" then forget about it as the tubs needed will put your seat down to 50mm (foam) and your head touching the head lining :( I f i had my time again I wouldnt have done it.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Sanded back to bare metal and epoxy primed the long side and the front
IMG_4818.JPG
IMG_4820.JPG
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

Looking good Ian 8)
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

8) very nice
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

8) Where's it getting painted?
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Morts, I rented a spot at the Fab3 compound, Martin moved out so now there’s room for my toys, I’m there for 6 months, now have full access to the spray booth, air, tools, hoist, it’s Heaven. I will paint the 15 window myself, and finish the Cubby Hut there. Ian
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Nice work Ian
What colour did we decide on?