Re: 62 Split Ute

Post by Beatts »

Getting the electrics sorted wasn’t too bad just needed no interruptions
28B6B422-4607-4CED-8BB9-7BAF82E201FD.jpeg
Fuel gauge and bay sender working well
CD67A088-3189-4515-AD52-B21583C895E9.jpeg
The Ute made a great work bench
F64EF333-ADED-4FF1-A05C-2CD1B54983CF.jpeg
Wheels back on after fitting new shocks, refurbished brakes and having the rear rims offset changed to suit the straight axle conversion (thanks Wiz).
B35E9FFF-15E8-405D-B67C-B22D7BA1FBC6.jpeg
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

Beatts wrote:
vanell wrote:Beatts, we need the story, where did you get it ? what was it used for? Are you going to leave the cabin lights on ,looks very truck like. Ian
Thanks for the beginners guide Ian, although you could probably tell the story after hearing it from me a dozen times.

Picked up the ute from Andrew Edward’s 18 years ago who found it in Mannum SA, there was a refrigeration unit in the treasure chest, belt driven by the pulley and shaft system that went into the engine bay. There was also a plug on the short side panel to run it off 240v when parked. Apparently it had a water tank on the back that was refrigerated for transporting crayfish. So I’m assuming it ended up in Mannum but worked it’s life elsewhere before that. So no gates, plenty of non factory extras like the long side access point, vented treasure chest door and amber lights on the roof.
I have the original engine, found some gates a few years back, have been collecting odds and ends while saving up until April last year.

I’ll let the rest unfold as I resize my photos and keep the journey moving.

Had an interesting conversation earlier this week and established the Ute was actually based in Mannum and used to transport yabbies. Heading up there this weekend to chat with an old local farmer who may know more. It’s good to know the history but getting it accurate isn’t that easy.
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

Back on rubber all round and always a challenge fitting the rear wheels on a lowered bus but worthwhile.
A16CE192-51D3-4331-B85E-3EBCDFAEB996.jpeg
Fitting off the window seals and glass into the doors wasn’t too bad other than the quarter windows. Definitely made it easier checking what others had done here on DSK and the samba.
5F80418D-7236-4231-8347-4D4E08BF05F6.jpeg
1AC9A27A-2FFB-4BF4-8683-F2F0D163A454.jpeg
Next stop, taking the Ute to the engine.
7FC47764-826B-4EFA-B749-D63577D35EFF.jpeg
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Nice one getting the kids to push whilst Dad steers !
Ride height looks pretty good to me. Plus I have fuel gauge envy.
Cheers Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Ride height looks good 8)
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

spl65t wrote:Nice one getting the kids to push whilst Dad steers !
Ride height looks pretty good to me. Plus I have fuel gauge envy.
Cheers Linz
Thanks Linz.
Got to put those young legs to good use and they bargained hard, managed to get a milkshake each for their efforts.
I put an inline resistor on the fuel gauge, picked up two and will post the details although it worked no problem without it. I read somewhere that the 6volt gauge will run on 12volts but may fail over time hence the resistor should prolong its life.
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

morts wrote:Ride height looks good 8)
Thanks Morts it turned out well until the engine went in and it was also pointed out to me that I was running a 60profile tyre on the back with a 65 on the front. So it’s currently sitting a little low in the arse until I get some taller tyres for the back.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Beatts wrote:
I put an inline resistor on the fuel gauge, picked up two and will post the details although it worked no problem without it. I read somewhere that the 6volt gauge will run on 12volts but may fail over time hence the resistor should prolong its life.
Which resistor are you running mate? And do you have a heat sink attached? Just make sure it’s not getting too hot, they’re great for sems because they’re not on too long, just make sure it’s not going to burn anything being on all the time.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

splitthis wrote:
Beatts wrote:
Which resistor are you running mate? And do you have a heat sink attached? Just make sure it’s not getting too hot, they’re great for sems because they’re not on too long, just make sure it’s not going to burn anything being on all the time.
Thanks Matt. I’ll check the resistor and let you know. I don’t have a heat sink so will check if it’s getting hot also and assume you mean the resistor?
Cheers.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Yes mate the resistor, they heat up pretty damn hot sometimes. Just make sure it’s kept away from anything that can burn/melt. If it’s getting crazy hot shoot me a PM I have some 6mm custom heat sinks for this exact purpose.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Beatts wrote:
splitthis wrote:
Beatts wrote:
Thanks Matt. I’ll check the resistor and let you know. I don’t have a heat sink so will check if it’s getting hot also and assume you mean the resistor?
Cheers.

Keen to know about resistor and where abouts to purchase ?
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

spl65t wrote:
Beatts wrote:
splitthis wrote:
Cheers.

Linz
Linz check out the bottom of this page. I found someone to cut the heat sinks cheaper now so can offer them for $50 each or $90 a pair (if it’s for sems you need 2)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16716&p=219142&hili ... or#p219142
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

spl65t wrote:
Beatts wrote:
splitthis wrote:
Cheers.

Linz
Hi Linz

Check this old thread it may assist,

viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

I’m still looking for the information I used and will pass it on because it refers to a bay sender and 6volt split gauge.

Also here’s the resistor I used it’s 56Ohm and available from Jaycar or similar electronics outlet.
11884004-DA07-4806-ABE3-A7D5F912FA41.jpeg
11884004-DA07-4806-ABE3-A7D5F912FA41.jpeg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 4895 times
I’m using the original 6volt gauge with the lever type bay sender that was in the tank I robbed from my 73 Ute. The setup was bench tested and the bay sender gave me full to empty readings and everything in between. However I’m finding that it never reads full when I fill up and sits between 3/4 and full. It does give me the important readings of half, reserve and empty (well almost empty as I haven’t pushed it until I run out yet). Will give it a crack in the next week or so.

Cheers
Beatts
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

I think the last link didn’t work, hopefully this will
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12121
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

Engine went in without a hitch and Shane had it running perfectly in no time.
Single port 1600 with stock exhaust and heaters that actually work!

Took some shots while it was on the hoist because it will never look this clean again.
9548AC26-5735-403E-8E9B-C41B90B6BC0F.jpeg
A7EC253D-1950-4CCC-AC67-475E57742FD8.jpeg
5B6EE021-BC97-4E64-A1CA-85AB4F628375.jpeg
077FF4B4-7B40-4E02-AFCE-3519BC368626.jpeg
CF96E0C2-CFC4-4318-A42D-1156EEA8D079.jpeg
Parked with good company
E50A88B6-77AE-4D6A-8190-346BFAB17011.jpeg