Ian’s Dual Cab

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

vanell
DSKer

Re: Ian’s Dual Cab

Post by vanell »

So I want to make it clear that this is not a restoration, the Dual Cab was way too far gone to do that, there will be some crusty bits still on it that I will leave. Just want to make it a driver again, there will be some repairs that I should have spent some more time on and I’ll more than likely paint it in the back yard. I won’t be taking this too seriously except to make it safe to drive, want the doors to shut nicely and drive nice. So if you are following along to see how it is done then I suggest you should follow what Cooper does, or DubSmith as they are the true craftsmen of Kombi Restoration
Resurrected not Restoration for me, want to have some fun doing it, want it to be enjoyable to make me go out to shed
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

vanell wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:58 am So I want to make it clear that this is not a restoration, the Dual Cab was way too far gone to do that, there will be some crusty bits still on it that I will leave. Just want to make it a driver again, there will be some repairs that I should have spent some more time on and I’ll more than likely paint it in the back yard. I won’t be taking this too seriously except to make it safe to drive, want the doors to shut nicely and drive nice. So if you are following along to see how it is done then I suggest you should follow what Cooper does, or DubSmith as they are the true craftsmen of Kombi Restoration
Resurrected not Restoration for me, want to have some fun doing it, want it to be enjoyable to make me go out to shed

Mate, nicely stated. We understand your approach. Hasn't changed anyone from admiring your threads & how you approach such projects...so Bash & Plug away I say !!
To go into the shed and have fun and enjoy what your doing, just about says it all really. 8)
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Dash is close to fitting
IMG_8050.jpeg
IMG_8050.jpeg (117.35 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
IMG_8051.jpeg
IMG_8051.jpeg (135.83 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

vanell wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:10 pm Dash is close to fitting IMG_8050.jpegIMG_8051.jpeg
Is this one getting lowered like in the SC? :lol:
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

It will have the same front end but swing axle rear
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

No I meant the dash.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Ah I see now, you put an emoji at the end of the sentence, I must have been out driving my splitty that day when all you guys had a lesson in what they mean, the only one I know is the thumbs up one
This emoji thing reminds me of the history repeating quote I once read about the Egyptian symbols
Kombiiknut
DSKer

Post by Kombiiknut »

vanell wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:58 am So I want to make it clear that this is not a restoration, the Dual Cab was way too far gone to do that, there will be some crusty bits still on it that I will leave. Just want to make it a driver again, there will be some repairs that I should have spent some more time on and I’ll more than likely paint it in the back yard. I won’t be taking this too seriously except to make it safe to drive, want the doors to shut nicely and drive nice. So if you are following along to see how it is done then I suggest you should follow what Cooper does, or DubSmith as they are the true craftsmen of Kombi Restoration
Don't sell yourself short mate, what to do is unreal and awesome to watch. You will do that DC proud and I'm sure it will be a very cool ride when it's back on the road..
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

vanell wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:25 am Ah I see now, you put an emoji at the end of the sentence, I must have been out driving my splitty that day when all you guys had a lesson in what they mean, the only one I know is the thumbs up one
This emoji thing reminds me of the history repeating quote I once read about the Egyptian symbols
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're a funny fucker that's for sure... :lol: :lol:
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Passenger side hasn’t been easy but I’m getting there , had to cut the bottom off the dogleg because it was way out of square, still may have to cut it some more
IMG_8080.jpeg
IMG_8080.jpeg (109.7 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
IMG_8078.jpeg
IMG_8078.jpeg (125.86 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
Kombiiknut
DSKer

Post by Kombiiknut »

Fucking awesome.. She's staying to look like a DC again
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Cutting more stuff out
IMG_8097.jpeg
IMG_8097.jpeg (150.24 KiB) Viewed 6046 times
Had to get creative to square the tray up
IMG_8101.jpeg
IMG_8101.jpeg (148.44 KiB) Viewed 6046 times
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Looking good mate, driving in no time.
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Great progress mate
Keep the updates coming
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Bit of an effort to get this far, lots of grinding and welding, bed is all welded up and floor x members done.
. Sat the floor in because if I finish the sides I’ll never get the floor in. Got some temporary supports holding up the bed and sides
IMG_8107.jpeg
IMG_8107.jpeg (147.61 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
IMG_8108.jpeg
IMG_8108.jpeg (164.9 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
IMG_8109.jpeg
IMG_8109.jpeg (126.25 KiB) Viewed 5945 times