1956 Perth Omnibus (public transport)

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

vsleepy
DSKer

1956 Perth Omnibus (public transport)

Post by vsleepy »

Hi list,

Ive finally got my panel beater lined up starting next monday (been on waiting list for 6 months). Mainly for rust repairs and un-customising a few PO additions.

so i thought i'd better start a thread to document its progress.

Pics of when i bought the bus are posted on AVD.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/view ... 964&page=1

Lots of work has been done since then: Returned the cargos to normal opening, cleaned up engine bay, rebuilt front beam, all new brakes, all glass out of the bus.

Lots of collecting has also been done! Lots of boxes direct from socal lying about!

Did some 'work' I regrett... before i decided to keep it ratty:
took off all the old mohair that was glued to the interior, but it was falling appart, took all the paint off the dash, and some other dumb things... oh well.

A bit of history: The bus was licenced to a Mr Edgar W. Vincent and was used as an omnibus, but operated privatly. I have the original 'omnibus licence' documentation from 1962 which states (for the perth people):

Route: From No. 2 Car park in Mounts Bay Road to Canterbury Court, in James Street, via Mounts Bay Road, Barrack Street, Beaufort St and James St; Returning via James St, Stirling St, Bridge St, Barrack St, Mounts Bay Rd, William St and Riverside Drive.
(down town perth)

I have the original brass pump style fire extinguisher that was required to be fitted. etc.

The bus will be kept ratty (for the time being)... i think... shit, I cant decide but i had better do so before 'Eazy' the panel guy arrives. I just know the police are going to give me a hard time licensing it.

I want to also add some sign writing to the effect "Perth Omnibus Service Route #56" or something like that. When I was at the whiteman park car show last year I had a good chat to Omnibus club members and I'd be most welcome, I'd certainly be thier youngest member at a third their age. Anyway may contact them to see what livery may have been on the bus in its hay day!

...anyway, stay tuned for progress updates! will hopefully have this bus licenced by early next year... then its slammin time.

cheers, james
Rawdyn
DSKer

Post by Rawdyn »

Looks like plenty of fun there James.

What the hell was the PO thinking with those cargo doors?

Look forward to some more pics and progress.
fungibus
DSKer

Post by fungibus »

Nice find sleepy,
can't wait to see progress pics.
old look signage sounds cool.

:D
PK
frenzix
DSKer

Post by frenzix »

love history, any history on a bus is great. Thanks, Tim
vsleepy
DSKer

Post by vsleepy »

Front floor fixed, beam back in. brakes back together.

Wasn't happy with the job the panel beater was doing so sacked him. I think i may have to learn to weld.... the olde addage 'if you want a job done properly....'
james
Attachments
P1011826.jpg
P1011826.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 344 times
vsleepy
DSKer

Post by vsleepy »

have a tailgate with hinge's torn out. so out of a later donner i cut out a couple replacements (actually quite different under the skin).

...so bought this

first job and thus not the prettiest fab job ever, but a bit more grinding and it should all be serviceable at least! just learning so i wont show you my welds...

jim