The 58- Finally with rego

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Zimblewinder
DSKer

Re: The 58- Finally with rego

Post by Zimblewinder »

I'd swap you for my mango anyday...does that count?

I reckon with a $10000 paint job (is that realistic anymore?) to come that and a bit of interior TLC, now running and metal all finished, it would have to be mid to high thirties already wouldn't it? I hope thats an under-estimate though.
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

Thanks Dale, Yes I would like more too. I will have to get some newer photos up as I have had the roof done and I have just had some more metal work done which is not quite finished.
58 Standard
Wanted:
Caramel Front seat for 58 to 60 model. Not the hump style one. Any caramel interior stuff will be of interest
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Love to see some update on your bus
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

I will get some pics up. Its just in for a spray job at them moment so not too much too show at this stage.
58 Standard
Wanted:
Caramel Front seat for 58 to 60 model. Not the hump style one. Any caramel interior stuff will be of interest
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

Here is the most recent work. Will be getting a full spray job in the original colours. More photos to come
58 Standard
Wanted:
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

A few more pictures
58 Standard
Wanted:
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

So Nicko, what's the secret for sanding corners? Ive been over mine a few times and keep rubbing in flats by accident. You're really steaming ahead now. Great work on that side!
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

Hi Dale, I asked the panel beater today and he said he started out with a long board which was approx. 60cm x 6cm by the look of it. He rubbed it vertically to get it smooth up and down and then got a long strip of paper and worked it back and forth around the corner to get it flat horizontally. I guess the long board left corners - think 50 cent piece but not as extreme and then strip of paper running around circumference of the 50c to knock the corners off. Yeah he made it sound easy but its probably not so easy to do!!! :D
How your bus going?
Cheers
Nick
58 Standard
Wanted:
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

Ahhh yes. Ill try that next time. Thanks for asking him. Practice will make perfect.......oneday :wink:

Im having alot of trouble with the left top quarter, from the waist line up. It has a diagonal bulge in it from 150mm back from the rear window's rear bottom corner radiating up to the top corner of the bus. Theres an equivalent one radiating down through the vent area too. I'm guessing the beat up and wrinkly lower left corner I replaced, was once punched in in a significant way. Interestingly though the internal engine level metal and luggage deck and internal panel were all straight as a die. Someone must have spent alot of time pushing the corner all back out again and the bulge was whats left.

Ive got to pull out the waist line from the window, through the corner seam to the corner radius, to try and drop the bulge down. Maybe a porta power braced across the luggage area might do it but I can't be too sure. Its not creased so it should drop down without any other panel damage and no extra surfacing...Still thinking on that one. I don't really want to cut the whole corner out and rebuild it from the inside out.
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

A few more pics

58 Standard
Wanted:
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

Zimblewinder wrote:Ahhh yes. Ill try that next time. Thanks for asking him. Practice will make perfect.......oneday :wink:

Im having alot of trouble with the left top quarter, from the waist line up. It has a diagonal bulge in it from 150mm back from the rear window's rear bottom corner radiating up to the top corner of the bus. Theres an equivalent one radiating down through the vent area too. I'm guessing the beat up and wrinkly lower left corner I replaced, was once punched in in a significant way. Interestingly though the internal engine level metal and luggage deck and internal panel were all straight as a die. Someone must have spent alot of time pushing the corner all back out again and the bulge was whats left.

Ive got to pull out the waist line from the window, through the corner seam to the corner radius, to try and drop the bulge down. Maybe a porta power braced across the luggage area might do it but I can't be too sure. Its not creased so it should drop down without any other panel damage and no extra surfacing...Still thinking on that one. I don't really want to cut the whole corner out and rebuild it from the inside out.
The panel beater had to push the side panel out where it me the quarter panel as well. He did something similar to what you are suggesting.
Good luck with yours
Nicko
58 Standard
Wanted:
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

Getting Closer. The red is a bit shinier as it had just been sprayed. It has flattened off a bit as you can see in the last 2 pics. Probably a bit more red than the original red oxide primer. It will be trimmed out anyway.
58 Standard
Wanted:
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Lookin good! Can’t wait to see it finished.
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Getting close now :D
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

thanks for the feedback on the upper panel. Im a tad worried it'll go pop! The bus is looking great Nicko. Did yours have red primer all through? Mine was only red on the outside and had mango cargo floor and rear bulkhead and deck. Inner primed areas were grey. Love your work. Showing me the dream

cheers
Dale
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)