67 Panel.....finally finished

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

maybe she knew you were racist, haha

Yeah, i dislike it when people have interstate rego, not paying taxes for our roads, etc...but i can understand why, nsw rta is such a pain, vic and qld so much easier and user friendly...
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

byronbus wrote:NSW RTA are a bunch of idiots, without exception i have never had a simple transaction with the rta, infact considering registering all my cars in victoria, only problem is that living in Byron Bay, all the locals hate tourists, haha, would look like a tourist
you can use my address brucey... :wink:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

thanks mate, now back to the southern highlands panel, any pics with plates on...
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

byronbus wrote:maybe she knew you were racist, haha
I'm not racist, mate, just making a point.
And most of the Goulburn locals are way more racist than I am.
I grew up in Sydney and understand what multicultural means.
To some of the coneheads here it means lots of different types of yoghurt.
byronbus wrote:thanks mate, now back to the southern highlands panel, any pics with plates on...
No unfortunately, had the camera and everything.
But third time turned out a charm.......that and driving all over north-western Sydney.
I was up at Dural getting the blue-slip mob to amend the form and get it initialled in the hope that would be acceptable to the Castle Hill RTA.
As it turned it, even though it was done with white out and the woman at Castle Hill was initially skeptical, they passed it and the Split is now on the road.
The next trip was to Kombi Rescue to fit the plates and whack on the sticker and then I headed out, first for a wheel alignment at Beaurepairs in Castle Hill, and then around Sydney to drop in on family and put some miles on the clock.
It turned out to travel very well and the little 1600 DP with twin 40mm Kadrons pushed it stoutly along, so much so that I was easily holding 65mph overtaking other traffic up a long hill on M2 headed for Beecroft.
I then took it out to Greystanes where my folks live to show them the bus and that was where thing went awry.
About 5 minutes from their house the indicator assembly began to smoke so I pulled over and discovered I'd lost my left hand indicator.
Then when I took my mum around the block in it there was no power at all and it was smelling odd.
I decided it was time to take it back to Kombi Rescue but the smell got worse.
I had a look in the engine bay and under the car and it was clean as a whistle so I rang Steve and he said so long as the idiot lights weren't on just to limp it back.
However it got more and more sluggish and I decided the rear brakes must be jammed somehow.
I pulled over again, rang him and the ruling was to let it cool off and then try again.
After waiting around a bit I hopped back in the vehicle and noticed the foot pedal was REALLY hard.
Turned out the return spring on the booster wasn't pushing the pedal back up and the brakes just stuck.
So I spent the rest of trip back to Kombi Rescue toeing the pedal back up after I finished braking.
We worked out it must've done 40 or 50 miles over the day and it needed standard traffic driving and shot on the freeway to test it's legs and make it reveal it's hidden problems.
It also has no mats in the back, striker plate on the hatch , seal on the engine lid, and no insulation so it was rattling and shaking a lot.
All things considered though it wasn't too loud.
I will be able to get a much better idea of what is going on in the back when the tacho, oil temp and pressure gauges and volt meter are in.
At present it's by feel and Splitties are really new to me so I'm not quite sure half the time.
But the engineer came and looked at it when I was at the RTA and has OK'ed all the mods.
So next week Steve fits the middle seat, 6 seatbelt mounts in the back, 3 child points across the back of the engine lid just in front of the hatch door, the gauges and tacho, the cargo door lock and popout windows, cab door inside handles, driving lights and the short rack I have for it.
Nick66 will finish the trim, cut the necessary timber work the change the rock'n'roll bed from ¾-width to full width and install it, and fit a box for the stereo.
And then in the week before the Nats I have to get a local auto trimmer to match the rock'n'roll bed to the other 2 seats and have a matching cushion made up to cover the engine shelf, both as part of the bed and as sound deadening.
Ummm, that's about it.
Well, until I can track down a Hurst bumper. :wink:
Whatever the case people will see it at the Glenmore Park Pizza Night and then the Nationals the following day.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

kombi1976 wrote: Well, until I can track down a Hurst bumper. :wink:
andy... you have PM :shock:
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

byronbus wrote:thanks mate, now back to the southern highlands panel, any pics with plates on...
As requested, rego sticker and plates, also with driving lights, tacho and a pic of the rock'n'roll bed before trimming.
It all has to be done for Thursday......

Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

hey andy...
whats that fcuking ugly big thing on the dash... hehe :lol:
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Ha ha ha...... :roll: :D
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

andy...
mate how & where are you driving lights mounted to?
Penguin
DSKer

Post by Penguin »

I think they're at the front above his bumper :)
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Penguin wrote:I think they're at the front above his bumper :)
That they are.
No pain, no gain. :twisted:
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

kombi1976 wrote:
Penguin wrote:I think they're at the front above his bumper :)
That they are.
No pain, no gain. :twisted:
any close up pics of how they are mounted?

penguin... hunting season will be lifted if your not careful... :P
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

No, but the mounting procedure is as below:
  • - Find desired location for fog/spot lights.
    - Drill holes in bumper in these locations.
    - Bolt lights on and wire up as per normal.
I know....complicated,eh? ;)
To tell the truth, a PO had already mounted a set of lights on the bumper at some point in time.
As I wanted some lights on it and couldn't be bothered to have to work out another way we just bolted them through the existing holes.
There was also an existing hole in the dash for the switch so we used that too.
Gotta love slightly butchered buses. :D
You might think about working out a way to mount them onto the bumper mounts though.
Your DC is pristine and there's no need to go "swiss-cheesing" it just for a set of lights.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

kombi1976 wrote:Drill holes in bumper in these locations.

Your DC is pristine and there's no need to go "swiss-cheesing" it just for a set of lights.
eewww holes :shock: hehe

mmm just have a few nice bits to play with... :wink:
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

I was thinking about it and if you're sneaky you could get a strap of steel and bend it at the right places so it bolts onto the bumper mounts.
A strap of 3mm sheet steel and a bench vice would probably do it.
Then you can mount lights, etc. on that.
Know what I mean?
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel