Poor old ute

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

david777
DSKer

Post by david777 »

Do you have any photos of part way through the bullet hole repairs? What approach did you take -beat it into shape and weld together, or cut out the hole and deformed metal and weld in a new bit, or something else?
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

dave dont ask him tec questions like that... im guessing he is still stunned it work :P
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

david777 wrote:Do you have any photos of part way through the bullet hole repairs? What approach did you take -beat it into shape and weld together, or cut out the hole and deformed metal and weld in a new bit, or something else?
David, it would be a crime if you welded up the lot.
At least find a way of leaving some.
Maybe you could get some airbrushed on afterward.
BTW, how is the new job?
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

david777 wrote:Do you have any photos of part way through the bullet hole repairs? What approach did you take -beat it into shape and weld together, or cut out the hole and deformed metal and weld in a new bit, or something else?
Just went through all my photos and I didn't actually take at of during the repairs??? silly huh. anyway i'll try and describe it.
Because the slugs were so large they'd stretched and pushed in the metal quite a bit so i got in the with tin snips and cut away small wedges radiating out from the center hole then beat it flat again with a hammer and dolly, trimming away any bits that were overlapping or thin looking, then I used the copper pipe trick to weld up the gaps then ground it all flat. They are far from perfect but what can you do.

I didn't use an oxy to shrink the metal back cause I wanted to preserve as much og paint as possible, I thought maybe the oxy would cause more heat than the tack welds i used.
david777
DSKer

Post by david777 »

kombi1976 wrote:
David, it would be a crime if you welded up the lot.
At least find a way of leaving some.
Maybe you could get some airbrushed on afterward.
BTW, how is the new job?
I just want to fix the bare minimum bullet holes that I can and still get it registered. I think the ones on the tray and sides should be OK if I just fix the critical ones in the cab and on the chassis.
New job is good with its challenges. Our new house now has a carport in the backyard perfect for working on my ute.
>end of highjacked thread<
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Sweet.
Sounds like you checked out the residence before taking the job, Dave. :lol:
For the record, this doesn't even rate as a hijack.
You should get lessons from Warb, Shaven and Tonz. :wink:
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

Its been a few months but winter is here and I have found a bit of motivation to get back out into the shed and have a bit more of a crack at the ute.

So while I am all pumped and ready to go I decided to get into one of the jobs I have been putting off for a bit.

The rh rail under the tray was beyond patching up so I had a new one made up late last year, because of the lack of access the old one was a bit of work to get out but got there in the end. Then the new one had to go in in 2 pieces.

old one out. (last bit still there, top lh)

New one in.

Went all the way from back of cab to tail gate.

Once that was in I could fit the battery tray and weld up the wheel arch

So now that that is done the right side is as good as done.......

On to the left.

Started on the lower B pillar and this is where its at for now

More to come.
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

very very nice baldie... that SC looks very clean & dry... plans? :wink:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

about time marty, ready for valla while u have a cracker up ur bum??
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

plans are just to finish the rust and leave it a rat, No shiney paint or pink plates here... narrowed ball joint beam, irs and a 1600 tp to start with.

The panel need a bit of rust work now so the ute will end up with its 2332 while I show the old girl some love.
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

D-Train wrote:about time marty, ready for valla while u have a cracker up ur bum??
No unfortunately, the eta is well beyond valla :( time in the shed is a lot harder to find these days with the baby, Which I hear you are soon to find out all about??
Dutchy
DSKer

Post by Dutchy »

tell me about the baby thing.. whats the temp in your shed at night marty? i was down there the other day, it was still minus 3.5c at 7.30am... its prob ok with your beer jacket on though and the quiet time.
nice work
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

Yeah it gets pretty cold out there, but thats the price you pay for a bit of quiet time, I certainly dont have to worry about the beer getting warm.

Were you up here on Wednesday? I poured water over the windows to clear the frost only for it to freeze again, still had icicles hanging off the sills when i went out for coffee at 9.30
Oldfart
DSKer

Post by Oldfart »

HELMUT wrote: I poured water over the windows to clear the frost only for it to freeze again, still had icicles hanging off the sills when i went out for coffee at 9.30
Did you try rooly hot water? It melts the ice and all runs off so there's none left to freeze. The old "Yoo can't use hot water or it'll break the window" stuff is false. I've used it for the last thirty years in a climate as cold as Canberra on all sorts of vehicles with no problems.
The older I get the better I used to be
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

HELMUT wrote:
D-Train wrote:about time marty, ready for valla while u have a cracker up ur bum??
No unfortunately, the eta is well beyond valla :( time in the shed is a lot harder to find these days with the baby, Which I hear you are soon to find out all about??
yeah, lets just say valla is still a touchy wknd for me...