Post by Dutchy »

looks great
another bus for sydney.

MK
Toongabbie
kom123
DSKer

Post by kom123 »

I think I slipped a disc helping out, will accept large cash compensation or splitty project :)
tinman
DSKer

Re: My first splitty

Post by tinman »

So it's been a long time since my last post and the bus has had all the rust removed and replaced with fresh steel many years back and it's been sitting dormant under a carport ever since.
My daughter comes to me the other day and says she'd like to use it for her year 6 formal in Dec. The deadline has been set and work has begun. Nothing like a deadline to get you moving. :lol:

Dad came down from the central coast for 2 days so we got stuck into installing the door rubbers, setting up the 6x pop out side windows (yet to be installed). Rear boot lid installed and window in. Front windows in. Passenger and drivers door have had the rubbers replaced. Passenger door lined up. Drivers side needs the lock mech installed and lined up.
Cargo doors installed, one door mech left to install and then line them up.
Still have plenty of things to do. So happy when the rear boot was installed and glass was in, it was a real motivational boost.

Plans are to leave it ratty, get it on the road for the formal and just enjoy driving it.

Question: The passenger door lower hinge is only held on by two bolts as the others have lost their threads. Should I just retap a larger thread and put in a slightly larger bolt or cut out the hinge and replace the plate behind it.
Top hinge holds all bolts well.
Never tackled this issue before so chasing the best method people have found to correct this.

Here are some pics.
GFresh
DSKer

Post by GFresh »

Wowsers

It's been 6 years between posts, nice to see you getting stuck into it mate

Deadlines are awesome aren't they :wink:
tinman
DSKer

Post by tinman »

Yeah I really needed the deadline cos I've been wanting to get stuck into it but other stuff just keeps distracting me.
Picked up all the SS bolts for the 6x pop outs the other day and the latches. Looking forward to hopefully installing them on the weekend and getting the drivers door mech installed and the door lined up.

Question: The passenger door lower hinge is only held on by two bolts as the others have lost their threads. Should I just retap a larger thread and put in a slightly larger bolt or cut out the hinge and replace the plate behind it.
Top hinge holds all bolts well.
Never tackled this issue before so chasing the best method people have found to correct this.
tinman
DSKer

Post by tinman »

Did a few things over the weekend and just this afternoon.
Front drivers door mech installed, door not lined up. Saving all the door lining up jobs when I have a 2nd set of hands.
Engine hatch installed, rubbers still to go.
Cargo door mechs installed and handles on. The door rubbers are so thick I can't get the doors to close but I think it's partly due to the doors needing to be dropped a little so the door closes over the rubber and not on it.
Front headlights and rear tail lights in
Front bumper was on until I realised one of the bolts holding the very edge of the bumper was frozen so off came the bumper and removed the frozen bolt.
Now that I'm typing all this up it doesn't feel like I did anything at all... :(
But I'm chipping away at it and it's a few smaller jobs finished to getting the bus completed.
I'll take some pics later.
tinman
DSKer

Post by tinman »

So the deadline will come and go…. I'll have to deal with a moody 11 year old. :lol:

Started looking at fitting the bay window fuel tank to the bus. Fabbed up some extensions to the fuel tank straps and bolted them on to the existing strap. Came out pretty well for a first effort. Fitted the tank and the straps were the right length.

There were two bolts already fitted in the holes but they look way too long for the strap fixing hole. When I try and thread them in they don't go down more than 1cm so I'm thinking they're not correct but I could be wrong.
Does anyone know what size bolts go into the strap end?