My first splitty

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

tinman
DSKer

My first splitty

Post by tinman »

Here's some pics of my first splitty. It's a 1967 11 window standard in Lotus white.

Big thank you to Jeff (ozjeff) for coming out at 7am this morning to help me and a mate push it onto a trailer.
It then started to pour and Jeff kept going helping to secure the split to the trailer.
Another big thank you goes out to Scott (Kom123) for suprising me and stopping by to check if I got the bus home ok. He turned up just in time to help us push the bus off the trailer and under the carport.

I've hung around the DSK forum for a little while and recently a little more often but it was great to know there are DSK'ers out there willing to go out of their way, even on a cold raining day to help a stranger.

Enough about all that, here some pics of the bus the last owner took while it was in the garage down at Primbee (Wollongong) and some pics as it's loaded on the trailer and the trip home.
I can't tell you how awesome it was seeing a split following me about the back window like that. :D

Rust in the nose cone, lower section looks ok. Sills don't look too bad, only two small holes (hoping that's about all), dents on under both rear tail lights and top left rear corner. Front and rear gutters, two front window sills and two side windows need attention. Battery tray is good. Passenger and drivers side floors need looking at but apart from that the bus appears to be very good. Original uncut dash.
All the bits and pieces are there and were brought home the week before. Both bumpers in very good condition, rear valance is there.

The bus was stripped down by previous owner 7 years ago after he drove it down to Primbee and lost interest and there it stayed.

Not too sure of the plans at the moment. I really need to get in clean it out dirt and dust and all that good stuff and assess everything.
I'd like it back on the road before Valla with IRS so we'll see where that takes me.
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

Looks great, well done...welcome to splitty ownership and less money...but there is plenty of joy
muzza72
DSKer

Post by muzza72 »

looks like its in pretty good condition all the best with the resto and will see you on the road soon

muzza
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

yeh does look good
http://mirrorimageweddings.com.au/
I am seatless none nudda zero zilch, have some lefties seeing that's the flavour of the month :oops:
Frogsta
DSKer

Post by Frogsta »

hey thats allright for sure, good score.
"-Hannovermetalmadness-"(Debilitating desease with no known cure).
tinman
DSKer

Post by tinman »

Thanks guys.

I can't wait to drive the old girl.
frenzix
DSKer

Post by frenzix »

looks nice and solid.. nice score... will love to see the progress!
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

let the games begin!... nice one mate..
tinman
DSKer

Post by tinman »

warb wrote:let the games begin!... nice one mate..
Oh they've begun. :) Just sitting here going through pricing up body and window rubbers. I'm going through the Mid American Works site, has anyone used them before?
Volksmuller
DSKer

Post by Volksmuller »

great score ....well done if you want a little inside story about this bus give me a call....may have the original logs books...suppose he forgot to tell you he sold it once before.....anyway its in good hands now and not near that salt water cheers steve
Split Kathedral is where I do the' 12 stations of the split'.....praise to the holy whine of the reduction box and peace to all split lover's cronk 1:23
tinman
DSKer

Post by tinman »

Kombi Rescue wrote:great score ....well done if you want a little inside story about this bus give me a call....may have the original logs books...suppose he forgot to tell you he sold it once before.....anyway its in good hands now and not near that salt water cheers steve
Thanks Steve. I'll drop you a call sometime shortly about the history and log books. I'd love to know more about the bus.
No he didn't tell me about selling it before. Anything you can share with us?

Here's some more pics I took today of the cargo area after a quick (I stress quick wipe down) and underneath the bus. I'll be going over the bus shortly to get all the grime and dust out.

I decided today that I'm going to leave it in original paint. Get new rubbers all around, IRS and those good things and get it back on the road after the rust has been cut out and replaced. I just can't wait to drive it. :D

brad@busnbug
DSKer

Post by brad@busnbug »

Looks like a nice base to work from. That is a good find. Congrats!
Volksmuller
DSKer

Post by Volksmuller »

Story goes about 3 1/2 years ago an advert in the south coast trading post caught my attention..the above mentioned bus $3500.00 in pieces storded...well as any bus nut would I was at his door step asap...as I was holidaying in Nowra it was a short trip up in the mighty green 67.upon inspection a deal was struck cash exchanged hands and in good faith log book was also exchanged...didnt have tow car with so the next weekend was the arranged for pickup....all sweet !!!!Thursday before I arrange a phone call only to be told he no longer wanted to sell it and wanted to hand back my money...well I thought this may turn into a uncomfortable situation and agreeded reluctantly...,monies were transfered and we parted in a friendly way with a promise if he ever changed his mind i was the first on the list...well the rest is history ..I must say the final outcome is great and am very happy it found it way into the DSK fold be it a little time later....think its a great idea to keep as much original paint as possible...fix the rust and drive it..........cheers steve
Split Kathedral is where I do the' 12 stations of the split'.....praise to the holy whine of the reduction box and peace to all split lover's cronk 1:23
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

That's very nice, mate.
In some ways I wish I'd left mine in original paint but then it was a little late by the time I decided to put mine back on the road.
I look forward to seeing it driving.
Incidentally, I didn't think Valla was on next year.
Any word on this?
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
tinman
DSKer

Post by tinman »

I'm sorry to hear that Steve. Things like that are unpleasant.
I'm also glade it's made it's way into the DSK fold and I'm looking forward to driving it around to your place for a gathering in the neat future.