Reasons to be Cheerful! (Part 3 - Rejuvenation)

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

morts
DSKer

Re: Reasons to be Cheerful! (Part 3 - Rejuvenation)

Post by morts »

Cam Biscuit wrote:Not in a rush then Morts!? :mrgreen:
No, more shattered for the first six months :cry:

Anyway, shouldn't be too hard on myself coz in this time I have built the motor for the '67 camper, (with help) acquired a one owner '54 beetle and got that going and also got the camper ready for two RATeX's - one to Birdsville and one to Maralinga, so now its time to knock this baby off. Just need a 12v starter motor bush and I am hoping it might be chugging away this weekend. :D
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

kombi1976 wrote:Those industrial engines are great pieces of kit, Morts.
My '62 Beetle is sporting one.
It came out of a generator which had been a backup refrigeration generator in the Snowy Mountains.
Yep, that = under 30 hours all up.
The cork seals were NEW even though it was an early 70s build.
It pushes the Beelte along admirably with it's modded 3.88 final drive swing axle box.
Admittedly it's running extractors and a noisy exhaust but it's still a stocker 1600SP generator motor.
I'm betting your stationary motor will be excellent too.
A bit of Aussie history with your one then Andy.

I'm really hoping this one hums along well too. I had a few chats with Steve (matara) and he is a big fan of them in a bus, but definitely getting excited to be (hopefully) having it back on the road very soon.
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

This is one of my all time favourite Aussie busses. Keep going Morts it's looking great. If you really want to make that trim shine (like mirror finish) you can get a metal polishing kit from Bunnings for under $50. It has multiple cutting compounds and different textured wheels that go in your drill and it does amazing work. Will turn full aluminium into a mirror, it also does a great job of restoring bakelight knobs.
Matt
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Cheers Matt, and thanks for the tip.

Can't wait to see yours on the road either after the huge effort you have put into it.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

This is where we are up to atm, so hopefully if the bush comes in the bus goes out this weekend...

Decided to get new pads and covers for the front seats - as much as I loved the patina of the old ones the stuffing was just pouring out of them and you would get a sore back driving the bloody thing.
Attachments
F-Strip down.jpg
G-Chief advisor.jpg
H-Assembly.jpg
I-Ready to go.jpg
J-Seats re-trimmed.jpg
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Couldn't believe it - I was under the thing making sure we were all good to go to put the engine back in and I wiped some dirt off the underside of the fuel tank and then I got an eye full of fuel :evil:
The dirt/mud must have been acting as plug keeping the fuel in the tank so not a very good long term option!

So pulled the fuel tank out and got it de-gassed and then welded up. The guy who did the welding kept the pice of plate he cut out as a souvenir for me. :roll:

Still, better fixed now rather than pulling the motor out again. So Sunday is looking to be the day...
Attachments
Fuel Tank 1.jpg
Fuel Tank 2.jpg
StevieVW
DSKer

Post by StevieVW »

Hopefully ready for another 50 years service, :D