'64 Devon-replica camper project in WA

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

samblers
DSKer

'64 Devon-replica camper project in WA

Post by samblers »

Well, I guess our kombi is now officially a 'project', since we took it all apart and it doesnt work anymore!

Got mixed feelings about taking the kombi off the road, it could have been used in its current state indefinitely but it was time to get it fixed up properly (build up of lots of small issues, niggles and modifications wanted), so its gone off to Uncle Daves Kombi Hospital.

I've been working this last year on a mid-1960's replica of a Devon interior, but modified to suit our own needs and quirks. I suppose we're kind of doing all our work in reverse, but it made sense to build an interior and get some use out of the van before we took it apart again!

Here it is last weekend:

And here yesterday... on the way to Daves...

Now kombi-less, we're itching to put it back together in its new guise, ready for summer (I'll not post which year :roll:). More pics as they happen

Sam
matara
Admin

Post by matara »

Sam, Have you got any of the pics of your Devon replica interior? Are you using Bob's plans from SSVC? I have most of the bits on my Devon except the water tank, the easicool and the water pump. In fact my interior is just being refinished by Nik66 on here, and its coming up great.

Good luck with the resto.

How come the front doors and rear hatch are a different upper colour?

Cheers

Steve
jvm
DSKer

Post by jvm »

Dubs and mountain bikes......my favourite combination :D
samblers
DSKer

Post by samblers »

Steve

The interior is one that I've loosely based on bits of Devon campers from various years to suit our needs (and to suit my low level of carpentry skills!). We had a '73 Devon back in the UK that had a good overall layout so we took some measurements off that, and then the rest of it was done through researching the stuff in Dave Eccles book… we took ideas and made them our own, Its not an exact replica, if that’s what you mean (we have a rock and roll bed, Waeco fridge, swing-out cooker).

Will post some pics when I get home, but they are all work in progress.

The only thing we stopped short of was cutting in a pop-top. This is possibly the most useful mod we could have done, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it (and wouldn’t have been able to get the parts anyway)

Cheers, Sam

P.s. The different colours are due to various repairs and re-sprays over the years. Its going back to bare metal.
samblers
DSKer

Post by samblers »

more pics:

Bay tank trial fit:

Dave, never happier than when slicing up an original dash ;)

Grubby Injun: