Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

kombi1976
DSKer

The family that......

Post by kombi1976 »

Ever have one of those days?
Friday was one for me.
The indicator switch on my '68 Land Rover ute was buggered and the RHS indicator was jammed on.....yup, you could turn the LHS on but the RHS just kept going.
Next time you whinge about how hard Split parts are to find spare a thought for Land Rover owners.
Anyhow, I couldn't very well roam the streets in that as eventually the cops pull you up for driving with your hazard lights on.
Then our Split, which is the family car and the missus drives every day, blows the starter motor.
So 2 cars not working.
A friend very kindly lent us their Nissan Maxima; it's a nice car and we really needed one to get around but I felt like a class traitor driving it.
Now, I've successfully replaced a starter on a 2.0l Bay before so I thought it couldn't be that hard.
I should point about now that tools and me have an uneasy truce - I don't touch them and things don't get broken and I don't get hurt.
As such this sort of attempt is for me akin to juggling chainsaws naked.
Nevertheless I managed to pick up a replacement starter on Saturday afternoon and started to try and remove the busted one until the light failed.
That proved to be more difficult than I remembered.
Then I also remembered that on the Bay there was a hatch by which to access the engine bolt which passes through the bell housing.
After some phone calls and tips on how to get it out I had another crack at it this afternoon when I got home from some other commitments.
There is so little room I needed to get the take the air cleaner off to get at it.
After much grunting and cursing under my breath I managed to get the busted unit out from under the car and then carefully assessed exactly which way to get the replacement in.
The lower nut is easy; it attaches to a stud in the bell housing, but the engine bolt is as difficult to put back in as it is to get out.
First I tried to get my eldest son Bryn, who is 4 1/2 to hold the bolt in while I snaked my hand behind the fan housing.

The little guy did his best and he had been a tremendous help with spanners (thank goodness he can count to 17!) but his arms just aren't long enough.
Plus being under there was freaking him out a little - although not so much he didn't want to climb under there again later on.
So I had to call in the heavy artillery.....the missus.
I wasn't real keen on that.
If it falls on me, well, no great loss - I suck at changing nappies and my life insurance is ok.
But hell, we'd miss her and more people would turn up to her funeral so the caterers would charge more.
However like most things she does she was happy enough to have a go and did it well.

In fact she was so good that when it came to tighten up the engine bolt and I couldn't locate the nut properly because my forearm was rubbed raw from the doghouse cooler she stuck her hand over and tightened it up for me.
And I mean tight......I could only move it about an inch when I gave it a final check.

So then it was just a case of crawling back under it, hooking up the wires, putting the heater hose on and then getting back out and putting the air cleaner back on the RHS carb and connecting up the battery.

The result? She fired up first time no probs!! :D
And yes, the missus did take that last shot with a coin in mind....... :?
Anyhow, the moral to the story is that a family who fixes VWs together stays together.
BTW, thanks to Warb, Luke and Muller for some tips on how to get the starter in and out.
Now all I need is a Land Rover wiper switch! :|

P.S. Stayed tuned for the next family project....pulling an old 36HP out of SUPER rusty Country Buggy. :shock:
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Volksmuller
DSKer

Post by Volksmuller »

luv the pin stripes mate
Split Kathedral is where I do the' 12 stations of the split'.....praise to the holy whine of the reduction box and peace to all split lover's cronk 1:23
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

the stripes do look hot, completely different bus now...
matara
Admin

Starter Motor

Post by matara »

I see the grass has been cut :)

Have a funny starter motor story for you... My dads next door neighbour in Ireland Tommy Foy had a 76 beetle. His starter packed up in 1990 and he hadn't bothered replacing it. He lived on a hill, and on his weekly shop to the town, he just parked it on a hill there, and bump started every time. He did that for 8 years until he passed away. The bug just outlived him without a starter motor.

Here's a pic of me and Tommy with car on the hill outisde his house. Thats his wifes car in the background.

She died shortly afterwards. When I was over there in 2002 I went round to the house to see what happened to the beetle since there was a car parked outside. The cars and house were left to the church as they had no kids. I knocked on the door, to find a flustered priest and his lady friend quite surprised I was there. I'd caught the priest having a bit of 'hows your father'!!

Cheers

Steve
Attachments
Steve & Tommy Foy
Steve & Tommy Foy
tommyfoy.JPG (24.66 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

byronbus wrote:the stripes do look hot, completely different bus now...
hahaha... no need for paint now :lol:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
Penguin
DSKer

Post by Penguin »

byronbus wrote:the stripes do look hot, completely different bus now...
I thought you were talking about that shot of his plumbers crack for a moment Bruce
gazza
DSKer

Post by gazza »

HA HA Yeah 2 splits in that last pic
Start as you mean to go on

62 Split Van
61 KG
57 Oval
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

nice one..

stripes looks good mate.
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Thanks lads.
I like the pin stripes.
There are plans to add some more.
More importantly though....the bloody thing starts now! :p
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
HannoverBus
DSKer

Post by HannoverBus »

Wots witht the weird angle on the rhs wheel?
Wouldn't it have bee easier on some jack stands?
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

my guess is, could not get the wheel out.. haha..
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

It WAS on jack stands.
I took off the wheel to make it easier to get to.
But the tyre is a 225/60 and it was so wide that I couldn't get it out of the guard unless the car was higher off the ground.
And to be blunt, I couldn't be shagged jacking it up any further.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
gazza
DSKer

Post by gazza »

Hey Man forgot to say loved the short story
and the pin strips rock
Start as you mean to go on

62 Split Van
61 KG
57 Oval
byronmcmanus59
DSKer

Post by byronmcmanus59 »

still need some parts for that landy?
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

byronmcmanus59 wrote:still need some parts for that landy?
I do actually.
Have you got an indicator switch for a IIa?
It's the triangular sorta shaped one with the 3 green wires and the single black earth wire.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel