Bruce is to blame for this (Cruz to meet the White Sharks SA

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Hey Nai, plans sounds great mate - I'm okay for Sep/Oct - since our kids aren't school aged yet we are a little more flexible. Will find out from my mate Geoff (in a bay unfortunately - I think he spent to much on his bus to justify a splitty to his wife!) what time of year suits better.

Al
beerdoc
DSKer

Post by beerdoc »

Not sure if I can make trip but would be glad to organise Great ocean road accom etc

Keep in mind I do a little gathering on the 8th and 9th of Oct called reVOLKS if you could cordinate that would be awesome We stay at Lorne Saturday night and cruise to Geelong for get together on Sunday
Cheers Doc

reVOLKS at Geelong
11th /13th Oct 2013

shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

That sounds like a good idea ?

What do you think Steve and Al I am hoping others will be interested it should be a great trip.

Steve if we went those times you could be home around the 11th or 12th Oct if you headed streight home.
I know what I am doing - I Think ?
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

Working backward if we did those dates if we gave ourselves 4 days to get to Lincoln, 4 days at Lincoln, 4 days to Lorne through wine country. 2 days for reVolks and 4 days up the coast home.

That would be 18 days ? I know this could be trimmed a bit but remember we are in old cars ?

Any way just a idea to fit in reVolks ? but with Steve and the School Hols ? I am not sure ? What do you think Snakeman our Kids missed a day or 2 (I week every year)off school every year. All three of them have BSC's and one is doing his PHD now. So a few days out isn't the end of the world.

It's all just ideas right now but we need to lock something in so we canall plan and save. Hmmmm BULK wine :wink:

So I think that would mean meet QLD guys at Broken Hill on the 27th Sept ? is that right ?
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Really looking forward to this and hoping to be part of it...

Keep posting your ideas Ian so a timeline can get bedded down and those thinking about it - jump on in and get involved.....

As for kids missing a bit of school, being involved in something like this is a once off experience - an opportunity not to ber missed and something they are unlikely to forget in a hurry.

Surely ther'e got to be a low budget movie in this somewhere??. Imagine an eclectic bunch of dudes and their tribes cruisng down the east coast of Australia across into the south and then heading west for a spot of shark work and all the time the convoy just keeps getting bigger and bigger - there could be 30 or so buses! All set of course to some great tunes with plenty of sunset, sunrise and cruisng shots.

Hell we should even give it a name. How about Shark Trek. (a play on Star Trek and our logo could be a groovy star in the background with the side profile of a bus in between the words Shark and Trek) We could even create an anthem eg a remix of Star Trekking across the Universe - Shark Trekking along the Aussie coast.... Okay that's enough for now, my head is starting to hurt!!

And if a bit of publicity wouldn't go astray we could even have a small entry fee and make a donation to a charity or a marine cause. Isn't there a research body carrying out work into the preservation of the great white shark?

BTW, we have a newly minted teenager in the house and when I told the family tonight about the trip she says ' Dad, I am NOT driving 600kms in the Kombi! Why can't we just fly over there - gosh Dad......' :roll:
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

Ha ha Morts I have had 3 of the little darlings :roll:

Ash is poss interested and he is a great shooter and editor. I have been slack and havn't caught up with him yet :oops:

Re raising money that would be great. As you know my work is with these babys and many others I can find a home for some research/conservation funds easily.

Music boths out there come up with some tunes :lol: I play Guitar & uke but I am a shit player :oops: There will be more than a few campfires on this trip tho
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

Hey Mick (Morts)

How is this for a jazzy back beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0dTSY3J8lw

To go with your Shark Trekking
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Although not a ultimate have-to-be-there situation, the VW Warwick drag racing weekend is on 1-2 October. I'd love to be able to attend it but seeing I won't have a car to race this year, this trip would take preference.

We are okay with those dates suggested - looking at the calender it would mean a rough itinerary as follows for us QLD'ers:

Sunday 25 Sep - depart Burleigh Heads, arrive Moree (NSW) via Toowoomba [~540kms]
Monday 26 Sep - depart Moree, arrive Bourke [~450kms]
Tuesday 27 Sep - depart Bourke, arrive at Broken Hill (late afternoon) [~610kms]

Sydney to Broken Hill is around 1150kms so could be done in two days comfortably - Ian would know better than me

Wednesday 28 Sep - depart Broken Hill (morning) [stay somewhere Wed night, maybe Port Augusta??]
Thursday 29 Sep - arrive Port Lincoln (afternoon)
[Total Distance approx 760kms]

Friday 30 Sep to Monday 3 Oct - Port Lincoln

Monday 3 Oct - depart Port Lincoln, arrive Port Augusta [~340kms]
Tuesday 4 Oct - depart Port Augusta, arrive Adelaide [~300kms]
Wednesday 5 Oct - depart Adelaide, arrive Mt Gambier [~450kms]
Thursday 6 Oct - depart Mt Gambier, arrive Warrnambool [~200kms]
Friday 7 Oct - depart Warrnambool, arrive Lorne [~200kms]

Saturday 8 Oct - reVOLKS cruise/dinner etc [stay in Lorne again]
Sunday 9 Oct - reVOLKS show at Geelong [? stay in Lorne again or Bells Beach/Jan Juc area?]

Monday 10 Oct - depart Lorne/Bells/where ever we stay Sunday night. People make their own way home, eg Geoff/Renae/kids who want to follow the coast back to QLD....vs myself/Katie/kids who probably have to head back the quicker way due to time off work.

Please note this is only just a starting point for discussion using google maps as a guide - I haven't done any driving down this part of the country so others will have better suggestions re. where to stay, alternative routes etc. The above rough itinerary gives 3 full days in Port Lincoln - if you think 4 is a must Ian, we can rejig the time frame.

Anyway, enough rambling.
Cheers
Al
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

Sounds good to me so far

3 full days in Port Lincoln would be fine

weather permitting

1 Day trip out to The White Sharks
1 half day trip out to a Tuna ? Farm/ Viewing / snorkel with the Tuna (big buggers)
1 Bumb around day fishing etc

Other stuff Wine, another day out with the white sharks if you want, another snorkel trip with the Sealions at Hopkins island Ps if you go on a white shark trip you may not be too keen on this seal option :lol: ), wine etc etc
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Ian, that's fantastic!!

Told an old surfy mate of mine about this trip and he just shook his head and said, 'nah if I dive with the sharks I'll never get on a board again...'
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
snakeman
DSKer

Post by snakeman »

dates will work for us.

Bring it on Steve
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

OK we have some dates to try to lock in dependant on where people are coming from. It's going to be a great trip !!!!!!

Moderators now we have some dates can we please move this section to the Events section as a Sticky as I don't think I can do it :oops:

From Sydney the dates will be leave Syd early AM September 26 meeting the QLD folk at Broken Hill September 27 late arvo.

We will break the Convoy after reVOLKS October 9th in VIC, from there people can either go up the highway or surf there way back along the respective coasts. South OZ people West, Vic people (your already home) NSW & QLD people North. Or where ever you live NT or WA are you coming ?

Port Lincoln will not know what hit it for 4 nights 29th September to 3rd October.

I think we will take Morts advice and call this trip Shark Trek 8) Lets hope the sharks cooperate and turn up for us to see them. Sucess rate has been very good this year around 100% but no certain thing as they are animals not robots 8)

After all this Bruce I hope your coming bro Ha
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

One other idea (as the above rough itinerary is still just proposed of course) to get another day either in Port Lincoln, or somewhere along the great ocean road.....above I suggested doing port lincoln to port augusta one day, then port augusta to adelaide another day.

Someone down SA way may be able to confirm if the SeaSA ferry is still operating between Lucky Bay and Wallaroo (http://www.seasa.com.au/pages/location-map.php) - if so we could potentially get from Port Lincoln to Adelaide (or somewhere nearby) in the one day.

Again, happy to be shot down if someone else more in the know of that area has a better idea, just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Cheers
Al
NORENT
DSKer

Post by NORENT »

Man this sounds like a good trip... i am hoping to incorporate it in with an O/S trip august/september... we are hoping to spend a couple of months in Morocco and surrounding areas and what a great way to finish a trip with a good old aussie road trip. (considering i have only seen NSW coast, this will be awesome)
heres hoping....
Greggo.
IN DAK WE TRUST...
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

You well may be right bro :P