Bruce is to blame for this (Cruz to meet the White Sharks SA

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

This is me off the Neptune islands in 1995 no cage in sight. I had brown marks in my wetsuit especially when the 2nd one showed up that you can just see in the shot :lol:
Attachments
Copy for Craig 1.jpg
Copy for Craig 1.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
I know what I am doing - I Think ?
bay window bandit
DSKer

Post by bay window bandit »

You're insane Ian.... I'd still be crapping my pants inside a cage :oops:
A bad day cruzin' is better than a good day at work.
Mats.
68 Lowlight camper on Sprintstars.
1971 Beetle lowered on Empi 8 spokes.
mav
DSKer

Post by mav »

bay window bandit wrote:You're insane Ian.... I'd still be crapping my pants inside a cage :oops:
i second that!!! :lol:
great shot too.....
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

1995 was the first time out of the cage intentionally. A few times I got caught out years before looking for lobsters and then having a white looking over my shoulder ha I remember having to feed a huge lobster to one so I could get back to the boat :oops: dam never forgave that white :lol:

Done it a fair bit since then to now but never for thrill seeking reasons. It has always been for a reason. I prefere the cage so you can just relax and enjoy the true wonder of the animal without worring about your ass. They are very dangerous animals and should not be underestimated !!!!
Attachments
1great%20white%20and%20photographer.jpg
1great%20white%20and%20photographer.jpg (64.53 KiB) Viewed 5976 times
mav
DSKer

Post by mav »

id love to do a cage dive...
kinda on par with sky diving i guess,even if its not your cup of tea,the experience far out weighs any fears.
i still talk about my one time sky dive that happened 3 years ago... :lol:
jamesminhard
DSKer

Linc

Post by jamesminhard »

So more importantly when are you turkeys all bringing your splits to Lincoln for a split together.
Spider
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

How does August 2011 sound ? The winds will still be west which is good for shark viewing ? it is cold water but the Kombi's won't get too hot going through Broken Hill ?

It would also give everyone interested time to plan

Don't know how to put up a question poll but poss that month would work well :?
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

I will be keen to do this trip mate pending work around that time, we have wanted to do the drive along the great ocean road for years but haven't had the chance....hopefully this could be the opportunity!
Al
Kombi Trip
DSKer

Post by Kombi Trip »

shark wrote:How does August 2011 sound ? The winds will still be west which is good for shark viewing ? it is cold water but the Kombi's won't get too hot going through Broken Hill ?

It would also give everyone interested time to plan

Don't know how to put up a question poll but poss that month would work well :?
I am keen whenever - but I did this in January last year and thought the water was cold then! :shock: Will they have dry suits lol or do I just need to HTFU? :lol:
Imagine what you would do if you knew you couldn't fail.
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

id be keen...
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

Traditionally August is a good time for sharks. I can't promise they will be there, but I can say this is a good time from diving in the area for whites since 89. The wind is in our favour at this time, being predominantly from the west. The bay at North Neptune island is calm from NW through W through SW so seasickness is not a problem. The water is clear but yes cold but it aint too bad.

My plan is to meet at a few locations going through Broken Hill on the way to Port Lincoln. QLD guys can meet us there, Vic guys can meet us at Port Augusta along with The SA guys. Anyone from WA can also meet at Port Augusta or Lincoln.

NSW guys will go Syd to Nyngan to Cobar to Broken Hill to Port Augusta down through the mountains. At Port Augusta we should be mostly met up, so we can do a big convoy into Lincoln. I will try to pull some strings to get the Council to give us some concessions and get some local press. Once in Lincoln we will do say 3 days. 1 day sharking, 1 day visit Tuna pens for dive, 1 day to Coffin Bay (oysters).

The trip home will be planned as a wine and surfing trip through SA wine country (Morts you need to help here :wink: ) then Great Ocean Road and up the VIC coast and on to our respective homes with surfs along the way.

What do you all think ?

If a lot are keen we should be able to organise a meet at Lincoln from all states. Even NT guys can come straight down the road from Darwin to Port Augusta.
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

I'm keen for sure. Been wanting to do a trip like this for years, great ocean road and all... what better excuse.
So how many people would be able to actually go out on the shark boat?
And what time of year is it when the whales hang around that area? I remember watching a doco years ago where people were watching the whales with their calves from the cliff tops around the Bight area somewhere, and have always wanted to do that.
kombine
DSKer

trip

Post by kombine »

Im keen too . what would the price be for the boat hire and all the gear u need .

sounds like a awesome trip

scott
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

This is the link to the boat etc

http://www.calypsostarcharter.com.au/

I would organise a solo charter if we got enough people which would mean only Kombi people out for the day. They have been building a even bigger boat which should be on the water come next year. I would run the shark bait activities and give info to all on board about the science of these animals. Not 100% on price as it depends on the boat and how many people come but the price per person on the website will be a good guide. As long as the sharks come out to play it will be worth every cent 8)
muzza72
DSKer

Post by muzza72 »

count me in and august is fine with me

cheers muzza