Testing out the new 'a' frame

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

wohoo
DSKer

Testing out the new 'a' frame

Post by wohoo »

Today me and Daveo went down to hobart for a drive, for a few reasons, i have this beetle that has been kicking about round here for ages, sick of seeing it i decided to take it to my workshop in hobart (300ks from my home in the north),

was time to test out the new 'a' frame i bought from the UK, this thing is just BRILLIANT, fuck towing a 800kg trailer ever again, cruzing at 100ks all the way down, no worries, then i remembered about a early bay some fella (now known as gary) called me and said do i want a kombi, just take it away, so we collected that also with the frame. anyway the deal was to collect the 58 split and bring it back north so i can start work on it, unfortunatly the wheelbarings were stuffed so couldnt bring it home after all.

was a fun day THANKS for ya help Daveo and laughs, some piccies for your extream pleasue

Andy
Attachments
passatTS.jpg
passatTS.jpg (53.89 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
aframe.jpg
aframe.jpg (81.63 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
freebee71.jpg
freebee71.jpg (54.45 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
freebee.71.jpg
freebee.71.jpg (42.7 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
golf1.jpg
golf1.jpg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
58.jpg
58.jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
67.jpg
67.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
They laugh because You are different, You laugh because They are all the same.
...................Image.....

Need Towing in Tassie, See www.tigertowing.com.au or call 0400 16 14 12
daveo
DSKer

Post by daveo »

A good laugh alright Mate! Especially the look on the Macca's chicks face when we asked if Phill Moore was in town :lol:
Then we took the lot. :P
Andy's going to make a PMG filmore.!
I'm going to make a D-ab Filmore !
Desert Splitty
DSKer

Post by Desert Splitty »

G'day Andy,
Can you show us a pic of the "A" bar off the vehicle so I can see the attachment method as it looks similar to what I had in mind to do to mine to improve it.
They are great to tow with, but need to figure out a way to hook brakes up to make it safer.
Cheers, Ian.
"Dare to Dream, Dare to be Different"

"Unless you start doing something different, you are in for more of the same"

"Go where none have been before so others can follow"
wohoo
DSKer

Post by wohoo »

Hi Ian, it uses a rachet tie down and chain method so can be used on any vehicle, its very simple yet affective,they are very well made to european standards, there is one available with the brakes attachment, has a plunger type of drawbar and a flexy hose witch then attaches to a valve in the tow car braking system (has to be hard plummed like hydrollic fitment so no air enters the system) and walla, the tow car has brakes, costly though!

will get a photo next time i have it out, next week! oh this one folds up and slips in the boot nice and simple

Andy

warb
Mod

Post by warb »

it is ture that a vehicle being flat towed needs rego?.. looks the goods tho..
wohoo
DSKer

Post by wohoo »

yeh man it does, but i live in Tassie haha, we saw 7 cops yesterday and didnt bat a eyelid, the beetle aint rego'd i would'nt do it in sydney unless it was.

infact i imported a motorhome last week and rego'd it with out a worry, the Tas transport could not find a chassis number nor engine number, only asked me if i had it on paper and i did, they said OH that will do! would that happen in sydney or qld!!

i just love the laid back tassie lifestyle, tell you something though, the transport fella smoked all the joint and never gave me it back!!! haha

warb
Mod

Post by warb »

mate, the family will be heading back down in the bus some time soon...!.. but not on the boat from syd, that was too bad for all of us., i smell a road trip!..
wohoo
DSKer

Post by wohoo »

i spoke to the guys at the spirit, (know most on first name terms) anyway i wanted to head to Sydney in a week or so, they said nothing left at all, no room in the inn! he said the sydney ship has beed running at almost cappacity since it started, now there is somthing wrong here,

1. if the ship runns at cappacity they make $$$$$

2. why are they loosing money (not just fuel)

3. what was the point in having the ship in the first place!

shame shame shame, i feking hate the Sydney to Melberg road, soo long and teidious!

thats my whinge over with haha

warb
Mod

Post by warb »

yeah, we drove around tassie for the honeymoon, that was great... however the boat from syd was never again.. 14 metre al the way, a lower door got busted and there was fish found in the lower car deck, never again..i know it looses money but the tassie gov keeps funding it.. id say we will drive to melb and boat.. maybe.. six of one and half a dozen of the other..
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

hmmm andy theres a reward for Kmart shopping trolleys & im broke :wink: :wink:
wally
daveo
DSKer

Post by daveo »

Hah Hah !
daveo
DSKer

Post by daveo »

winerot you have a PRIVATE MESSAGE !
splitsaviour
DSKer

A Frame

Post by splitsaviour »

Great pics Andy, wish you luck with the A frame, we used to use one all the time until 12 years ago when we towing an unregistered car which is an offence in Tas. I got pulled over and booked, at that time you could not register an A frame so they are only legal if the vehicle is registered. It's a pity I reckon they are the only way to go. That why I have to have my truck with winch and and tandem if need be to collect two cars in one go, being in business nice and legal. So now you have heard my saga.

Cheers
Peter
daveo
DSKer

Post by daveo »

DOOH !
volma1
DSKer

Post by volma1 »

Hi Pete, after seeing Andy's A-bar I checked into the legalities and as you say it was an offence to use one but, they are now legal to use in Tas. provided the vehicle being towed had a permit or some form of limited rego. Great concept that A-bar but for the use that I intend to travel am getting a single axle trailer weighing in at 280kg and adjustable axle to suit any car up to 1500kg. Greg