VEC RATeX 2013 - Dalhousie Springs or Bust, Outback SA

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

morts
DSKer

Re: VEC RATeX 2013 - Dalhousie Springs or Bust, Outback SA

Post by morts »

Day 7 – Coober Pedy to Mt Ive Station via Glendambo, Kingoonya and Lake Gairdner

Today was to be another long day in the saddle with an early start and it didn’t get off to a great start with Keith Poole’s ‘Grey Streak’ blowing a welsh plug off the carbie before we hit the start line. However this was soon fixed with a cork and cable tie!

We had to leave by 7.00am as the main highway was going to be closed down for a few hours by the military so they could carry out some rocket testing. The testing wasn’t going to go over the road but they shut it down in case there is a margin of error with the flight path of their rockets – probably not a good look wiping out civilians with errant rockets...!! Due to our early start we got through the checkpoint before the allotted time and went on to refuel at Glendambo.

It was along this stretch we also passed Dave in his ’55 11 window on his round Australia trip. I’m not sure who was more shocked or excited – we hadn’t passed one air cooled vee dub on the whole trip and Dave across 15 all in one go! His bus was hammering and sounded very sweet...
Attachments
A-On the road again....jpg
B-Refuelling at Glendambo.jpg
C-To Kingyoona.jpg
D-Beetle.jpg
E-Country Buggy.jpg
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Just before Mount Ive Station is Lake Gairdner, where the salt lake racing is held. The area is very pristine, beautiful and peaceful – a contrast to what it must be like during speed week.

Mt Ive Station was like an oasis with fuel a range of sleeping options, hot showers and a great camp kitchen in the shearer’s quarters. After a feed we had a great campfire at this beautiful, remote station.
Attachments
F-Country Buggy.jpg
G-Country Buggy vs Kombi Drag.jpg
H-Lake Gairdner.jpg
I-Lake Gairdner.jpg
J-Capfire.jpg
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Kombilover
DSKer

Post by Kombilover »

Morts,

Any more updates regarding this trip or was that the end?

What was the wash up - damage wise - all made it home ok?

Cheers,

Scott
71 Deluxe 9 seater
T3 Syncro Kombi
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Hi Scott

I ran out of puff - one more day left so will put up the pics and blurb when I get a spare minute.