55 Kombi Big Trip

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

dmb
Mod

Re: 55 Kombi Big Trip

Post by dmb »

Thanks mate,
For a trip out west I would do the camper trailer again, not many hills. Doing trips with a lot of hills I will probably try not to take the trailer, sleep in the bus and a small tent or something. Definitely enjoyed not having a schedule. We had a rough idea of a route and just winged it, we had no accommodation booked for the whole trip. In fact the meet at Rick's was the first deadline we had the whole trip, and looking back I wish I had pushed it out a week later just to have some extra chill time in the sunny weather, though the cash reserves were running low also.

Definitely buy the "Camps Australia Wide" book and free camp whenever possible, it is really easy if you don't feel the need to shower every day. Caravan park a couple of times a week to wash self and clothes etc. Don't over pack, we did. You really only need to pack a couple of changes of clothes and just wash as you go (maybe extra socks and undies). When you are driving you generally don't get too stinky anyway, so only need to change every couple of days.

Research the time of year you plan to go. I am glad I did that before organising the trip as the weather was fantastic.

And if you plan to put weird things on the roof be careful not to dent it too bad.

Cheers Dave
Attachments
Last one
Last one
Squat, place chin on chest, tuck head and tip forward, shoulders connect with ground and back follows through, legs go over the top and feet land on the ground. That's how I roll!
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

nice mate, already penciling in a trip for 2015. time to prepare. looks like an absolute blast.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Warby, Berry Blast is hardly the same scale :)
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
johno
DSKer

Post by johno »

thanks for the tips mate,
will certainly take them on board, hope my wife does too
Sounds like you may have ignited a few fires in the ideas of a few on here
hopefully see a lot more on the road tripping around Aus.
johno
DSKer

Post by johno »

Oh and may some internal roof reinforcement may be in order
Did you really manage to get all of that gear on your roof ????