55 Kombi Big Trip

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

matara
Admin

Re: 55 Kombi Big Trip

Post by matara »

Having just got back from a small roadtrip myself I'm enjoying reading about your trip. Excellent photos

Cheers

Steve
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Thanks Guys.

After leaving the Sunshine Coast we had a quick visit with some friends in Brisbane before heading into NSW via the hinterland. Visited Natural Bridge, a beautiful place, and through Murwillumbah to Byron Bay and surrounds. Caught up with friends and family and buses.
Attachments
Natural Bridge 1.jpg
Kombi NSW.jpg
kombi NSW 2.jpg
Homies 1.jpg
Homies 2.jpg
Squat, place chin on chest, tuck head and tip forward, shoulders connect with ground and back follows through, legs go over the top and feet land on the ground. That's how I roll!
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Then headed down the east coast. Stopped at Mullaway for a fantastic lunch of burgers and chips at Wally and Jann's. I really recommend to stop in and see them if you are travelling through, nice people, tasty food and good value.

Then spotted some strange blonde fella in a white helmet waving as we cruised through the roadworks toward Coffs Harbour, before spying a familiar silver tilt tray coming out of a side road just as we passed heading into Nambucca Heads. Stopped for a chat with Luke. Yes mate, Tassie is the go.

Amazing the coincidences.
Attachments
Wally 1.jpg
Wally 2.jpg
Strange things on the roof part 8
Strange things on the roof part 8
Squat, place chin on chest, tuck head and tip forward, shoulders connect with ground and back follows through, legs go over the top and feet land on the ground. That's how I roll!
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

D-Train wrote:i was been a lemming an waved so i was a little different.
Haha strange blonde fella
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

That would be the one
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

nice one mate, great updates, second the drop in at mullaway store, great food, sorta ok company ;) ..
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Was this you guys at Winston Hills shops this week ?
My wife texted me this.
Linz
Attachments
IMG_0711_zps4aecdcb4[1].jpg
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
NorCalRiviera
DSKer

Post by NorCalRiviera »

Sure looks like it! :)
1967 Riviera Camper - Four time Shasta Snow Trip bus.
WTB: Matched pairs of number plates from all AUS states.

Dig free music? Check out my monthly Mudride Radio music mix!
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Yes, that was us. Got home, dropped off the trailer, then headed back to Sydney to pick up the dogs and because we got home a bit early. Kombi went perfectly the whole way round, was a dream to drive. Had a great trip. The tropics is certainly a nice place to spend winter, we might go there every year :D
Home again now and back to real life.
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

So all up, in 9 1/2 weeks, we did just under 15,000 Km, used 2175 litres of petrol at a cost of $3785. Most expensive fuel was 234.0 c/L at Kings Canyon. Approx fuel usage was 16 - 18 L per 100 Km with the trailer and 13 L per 100 Km without. We set up the trailer 37 times. 3 oil changes and services, 2 tyres on the rear that were brand new when we left (got about 10,500 Km out of them).

Can't wait for the next trip!
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Oh, and I estimate that I got told these old buses are rare 200 times, they are worth a lot of money 300 times, asked when I am going to paint it 400 times, asked what size engine is in it 500 times (with a look of disbelief when I answer and they say, "and you towed that trailer with it?" or "I thought it had a Porsche motor in it, they bolt straight in you know"), and hundreds if not thousands of people took photos of the Kombi.
Greypow
DSKer

Post by Greypow »

"used 2175 litres of petrol" - around 50 fills in 9 weeks! :shock:

Fantastic trip, certainly points to the excellent mechanical condition you keep your bus in. Goes to show that a 60 year old bus can still do what it did 60 years ago only better! :wink:
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading of your exploits ! a few of us would like to do the same trip I am sure, well done !
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

See you next year Dave :wink:
johno
DSKer

Post by johno »

I've been following this trip over the past weeks with envy - looks like you had a great time - good on you and your family.
Nice to hear it all went pretty smoothly
I was spitting when I heard that you were going to Rick's diner, which is only 10 min from my place and I was rostered on to work for the weekend.
Looking back on it, would you do it all the same? - camping set up etc?.
My wife and I are hoping to do a trip to Tas at the end of next yr to coincide with the wooden boat festival in Hobart in feb, so I would be very interested in any hints.

cheers
john