55 Kombi Big Trip

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

dmb
Mod

Re: 55 Kombi Big Trip

Post by dmb »

more Silverton
Attachments
Silverton 4.jpg
Silverton 5.jpg
Silverton Mad Max 1.jpg
Silverton Mad Max 2.jpg
Squat, place chin on chest, tuck head and tip forward, shoulders connect with ground and back follows through, legs go over the top and feet land on the ground. That's how I roll!
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Good to see that Peter Brown is still in residence in Silverton! Love his beetle work
Longrasser
DSKer

Post by Longrasser »

'Last of the air-cooled interceptors, a piece of history '.
Every road trip deserves a trip through Silverton. I bet you don't see too many splittys downtown Broken Hill.
Nothing like testing your ride by pointing it west ! Good luck with it. Watch for the roos, and double so for the emus. They're the ones that seek you out !
Great time of the year to be that way.
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.
The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists! Whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Thanks for all the comments. People are constantly coming up for a chat about the bus. While we were in Broken Hill a nice fella named Steve stopped for a chat as I was tightening the wiper as it was raining, which happened to break right at that time. He told me he has an oval or two and a 64 double door panel and thinks it may be the only split bus left in Broken Hill. Anyway he chased down a beetle wiper he had and modified it for me to fit the Kombi. Refused payment. This is the sort of thing that these old busses of ours attract, good stuff.

Anyway, continued on in the rain and a head wind on a difficult trip across the border and into Port Augusta. Kept thinking something was wrong with either the Kombi or the trailer coz it was struggling somewhat. Amazing the adverse effect of a head wind. I am learning stuff from all the grey nomads as we go and they say if they have a head wind they just stop and camp till it is gone. Not for us, we persevered.
Attachments
South Australia.jpg
Rain SA.jpg
Squat, place chin on chest, tuck head and tip forward, shoulders connect with ground and back follows through, legs go over the top and feet land on the ground. That's how I roll!
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Left Port Augusta with a tail wind (Hooray!!) and made good time to Coober Pedy with a free camp overnight at Bon Bon. Spot the odd one out at the free camp site. It really is a constant stream of caravans on these roads. We just set up the basic tent at the free camp without the annex, couldn't drive the pegs into the ground so had to improvise.
Attachments
Free Camp Bon Bon.jpg
Free Camp Bon Bon 2.jpg
Free Camp Bon Bon 3 Peg.jpg
Silly stuff on the roof part 3
Silly stuff on the roof part 3
Coober Pedy 2.jpg
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Saw the SA crew going the other way, about 10 or 11 dubs in convoy, was a cool sight. Cruised well, even overtook a couple of caravanners. Had to slow down a little for the speedo pic coz the needle was blocking the last digit (it does read a little on the fast side though). Haven't checked the GPS yet for accurate speed coz I haven't finished wiring in the 12 volt outlets to plug it into. Kombi is still a work in progress :) Over 2500 Km so far and still going.
Attachments
22222.jpg
Greypow
DSKer

Post by Greypow »

Awesome trip, love your sense of adventure!
finbar
Newly Converted

Post by finbar »

Are you heading to Alice?
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Yep, not sure when, we have no schedule, probably 9 or 10 days from now. Probably stay 2 or 3 nights, could catch up if you are available.
Cheers Dave
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

How long you away for dave?
This is the trip of dreams...
finbar
Newly Converted

Post by finbar »

If you're around 8-10 June , the Finke Desert race is on.
http://finkedesertrace.com.au/
90+ buggies and 500 bikes.
Might be busy in parks until Sat ....when half the town heads out to camp along to track!
I'm home and away a bit between now and then but give me a call if it suits.
Cheers
Tom
0419 35 39 38
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Yeah, saw you too!! - your bus sounded sweet as it swept past.

Believe it or not over 3,000km in 9 days and yours was the only other kombi we saw...Will put up some pics of my trip over the next week.
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

thanks for the updates mate, dream trip..
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

warb
Mod

Post by warb »

wow, inspired to get the bus on the road.... . some big rock keeps getting the the way of your vids tho...