67 type one does the birdsville track

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VolksVair
DSKer

67 type one does the birdsville track

Post by VolksVair »

Hi all, last month, one of my elderly customers with an original 67 bug got me to prepare this bug for a trip of its life time, On his bucket list was a trip that starts in Geelong VIC and drives all the way up and including the birdsville track (2000ks of shit unsealed/corrugated/dry river crossings and soft sand) A round trip of 6000 klms.

Well, Peter got back just yesterday, the little beetle made it although, slightly worse for wear, broken gearbox mounts, front end shagged, motor okay. WHen Pete first told me about this bucket list adventure, I said hang on, your crown wheel & pinion are whyinng like shit, that tranny will surely shit the tin, "who cares Frank, I'm going, just throw some extra thick oil in it, she will be fine, maybe chase up another box when I get back!! Well folks that tranny did make it back and it still sounds the same Shocked Now Pete will have this 67 beetle in its unwashed state at RE-Volks down here in Geelong in a couple of weeks, static display with full account of this adventure, This vw was the only 2 wheel drive vehicle in that lot of 4wds, and one comment Pete heard over the twoway was, "Careful you guys dont squash that little bug amongst us