Nordkuste to the Golfkuste 2500+miles

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

WideFive
DSKer

Nordkuste to the Golfkuste 2500+miles

Post by WideFive »

Bulli Brigade is an all Split Bus show down on the Gulf Coast of Florida. There is another all models VW show on Sunday, so it's a full weekend and worth the trip.

Every November we make the trip down, fly some years and drive others. Usually three of us come from Ohio. Danny and I are on the North end of the state by Lake Erie and Brad is at the most Southern end. Drove down in 2011 and then again this year. Here is this years trip....

Danny drove down to meet me at a gas station on the other end of town. He lives 23miles North of me in Cleveland.

Was supposed to meet at 9AM. Danny and his Wife showed up a little late, but we hit the road right away

At the first fuel stop my clutch was making a really bad grinding sound. It did it on/off on the way down, but not at all on the way back. Still not sure on that one, but I'll figure it out this Winter.

Right before our meeting point with Brad, I started getting a miss that got progressively worse. We beat Brad to the spot, so dug into things a little more. Brad showed up and turns out he was having some minor issues as well.

Swapped my cap/rotor and plug wires and all was well. Quick piss and hit the road...

When you drive a Split Bus the world is your urinal :lol:

By this point we were already 2.5hrs behind "schedule", but luckily no further issues, just lots of driving through the mountains of West Virginia/Virginia, what I call the 3rd gear 55mph state. Then on through the Carolinas.

Fuel stops...

We found out that another group of four Buses from the DC area were head of us camped out at a small campground for the night and we pressed on to catch them. After 16.5hrs on the road and covering 700miles we did just that. This was the furthest South we had gotten compared to the last trip. Which set us up for a nice easy 550mile drive the next day.

Here we are in the morning...

Some breakfast...

Some fuel...

Some oil for Brad....

...and a secretly place I Like Boys magnet, then we hit the road...

I knew this other group of guys we met up with were slow (RGB's and 40hp's, etc...), but it was bad. 50-55mph in a 70mph, just scary unsafe shit, so Danny and myself went ahead with Brad not far behind and we'd meet up for fuel stops, just to stay together.

Right after filming this video my charging light came on and I headed to the side of the road as fast as I could....

I couldn't get it to preview, but here's a YouTube link too: http://youtu.be/CcruJkrk-hc

My fan belt disintegrated. Took out my carb return spring, right heater hose and set the left one on fire. Brad grabbed his extinguisher and we got that out fast.

Replaced the belt and return spring and boogied on down the road.

Pretty uneventful the rest of the way...

Found this on my Bus at the next stop...

Made it to the campsite just after dark.

Walked around and took some pix in the morning...

This is Robb, he's from Ohio and drove with us 2yrs ago, but from the other side of the state, much faster/shorter for him to go a different route, so he cruised down with some other guys this year.

Lame ass trailer queens..

Ohio Robb again, he had some weird issues on the trip. Working on his Dells here, kept backfiring and catching his filter element on fire, he had an OG Fuch break while rolling down the road and on the way home he had a brake hard like crack.

Some random shots...

Skyway Bridge...

Pix from Bulli Brigade...

More trailer queens..

Video:

YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/P1ztfBrImlY

Event T-Shirt...

Brad making wieners nice and black, as he's use to them...

Danny got the Long Distance Award. The only award that I really feel means something... no voting, just miles!

Beach pix..

Drove up North to the hotels before the Bug Jam show on Sunday...

"Homicide doors"...

Drove out to Bug Jam, just parked in spectator parking since we hit the road early. Was afraid I'd catch the grass on fire, so dumped out the cooler and back up over the wet grass :lol:

I thought I knew how to handle a corn dog, But Brad and Grayson taught me a few things....

Picked up Grayson for part of the drive home. He owns a VW shop in South Carolina and was going the same way. He rolled down solo, but always better to have another Bus with you.

Really uneventful trip home, just lots of driving...

Home safe and sound with 2,500+ more miles on a Bus I ruined and made undrivable by lowering it... :lol:

Aaron B.
widefive.net
FrankenCab
DSKer

Re: Nordkuste to the Golfkuste 2500+miles

Post by FrankenCab »

Cool trip , thanks for pics/story , we had a 100mile trip yesterday :) to a show
Straight axle is better than IRS
WideFive
DSKer

Post by WideFive »

There was a guy there that actually knew what he was doing shooting video: http://youtu.be/rYp_kdOUjs4

He caught us rolling out at 24:24 Straight cuts for life :lol:
Aaron B.
widefive.net
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Inspirational stuff! Thanks for sharing :D

Love the dove blue high-top 8)
Last edited by 63 left hooker on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
61 dc
67 beetle
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

top photos and story mate, .. check out that vert SC,. haha.. 8)
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Top pics mate, saw some of them on The Samba..

I see Cunado and Gibbs in conference, top secret BDM business no doubt ..think it wasn't ?

I hear Cunado tried to grab a ride on your bike ??

Thanks for sharing Aaron, nice work.

Best
Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
WideFive
DSKer

Post by WideFive »

Ian 68 wrote:I hear Cunado tried to grab a ride on your bike ??
Ha, ha, yeah, I felt bad about that. Should have seen the look on his face. I've had that bike since Christmas '82 and never let anyone ride it even when I was a kid.

He made the mistake of asking to ride, should of just grabbed it and pedaled his ass off, hoping I didn't catch him, ha, ha.
Aaron B.
widefive.net
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Great photos, looks like an epic trip!
WideFive
DSKer

Post by WideFive »

Aaron B.