Road Trip - Darwin to the East Coast

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

PHAT BUG
DSKer

Re: Road Trip - Darwin to the East Coast

Post by PHAT BUG »

Shot you a text this morning mate, if your not back on the road, we'll get you sorted :-)
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Well big thanks to Rhett (Phat Bug) for the use of his shed and Ian (Desert Splitty) for his expertise we got the problem sorted.

As it turned out the arm that operated the throwout bearing in the bell housing had snapped off on one end :shock: We raided another box for a replacement as well as another bearing and I'm now back on the road :D
IMG_6548.JPG
IMG_6552.JPG
IMG_6553-1.JPG
IMG_6554.JPG
IMG_6557.JPG
All being well I should be in Adelaide by Wednesday, hitting the road again tomorrow morning.
Desert Splitty
DSKer

Post by Desert Splitty »

Pleasure to help you out Cam!
"Dare to Dream, Dare to be Different"

"Unless you start doing something different, you are in for more of the same"

"Go where none have been before so others can follow"
PHAT BUG
DSKer

Post by PHAT BUG »

Glad to have you at Squadron HQ :)
Bloody awesome bus mate!!

MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

Was lucky enough to meet Cam in Horsham today and have a look at the bus. What an epic trip. Hope the rest of the trip goes smooth for you mate!

Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Bloody good set up you Bendigo blokes have there! Thanks again.

Good to meet you today Rusty, thanks for popping down mate.

Jock, good to chat with you this morning, sorry I didn't get down your way, hurry up and post some pics!!

All good today I got about 400k's done so with luck I'll be in Radelaide by midday tomorrow.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Cam Biscuit wrote:All good today I got about 400k's done so with luck I'll be in Radelaide by midday tomorrow.
Good to hear mate - we'll have to get the chequered flag out...
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Thanks Morts Rolled in to Radelaide today! I forgot how long and steep some of those hills are from Murray Bridge on! Cracking day to arrive on :D Looks like being around 40C on Xmas day so glad to miss that.
IMG_6560.JPG
IMG_6561.JPG
I've got to say it feels a little weird being at the end of the trip......its been a fantastic 10 weeks or so with lots of ups and downs and roughly 8500 kilometres under my belt. Here's a few things I learned along the way:

* There's three ways the wind can work against you and only one way that it works in your favour!
* Its amazing how many places there are to bang your head on a split.... :roll:
* Byron Bay appears to be the Kombi capital of OZ judging by what I saw :mrgreen:
* People still dig splittys and love to see them being used as intended.
* The DSK group is a great mob!
* Auto club membership is worth its weight in gold! I took out premium cover with the AANT before I left and it paid for itself a few times over with towing, accommodation and a hire car.
* Holidays - you think you have lots of time and then all of a sudden, its all over!

Thanks to everyone who reached out to catch up along the way, it was really great putting faces to names , great bunch of blokes! - sorry that I missed out on catching up with some people but sometimes the timing is wrong and plans change.

Actually there's still a little bit more driving to do - I'm heading down to the Fleurieau coast for a week after Christmas if any of you Adelaide mob are lurking about?!

Cheers
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

It's been a fun trip to follow along Cam, thanks for sharing.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

splitthis wrote:It's been a fun trip to follow along Cam, thanks for sharing.
Ditto that, thanks Cam
61 dc
67 beetle
McDub
DSKer

Post by McDub »

Cam great road trip. I've just caught up on the trip with my internet( bloody teenagers). Mate you sailed passed a couple of us at Millthorpe as you left Bathurst. I'll make sure you get a proper welcome if your coming back through. Jamie
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

Great trip, great story. This is exactly why I started dsk. I past you parked up a few times but nov-Feb I'm flat out, 12-14 hr days. Next time come thru byron outside of holidays and see what it's really like. Magic when not so busy... We work most school holidays and holiday at places like Noosa, just beautiful outside the holiday times.
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Thanks guys - DSK is a great thing to be a part of. I caught up with a couple of the SA members at the Any Given Reason annual Burgermeet in lovely McClaren Vale which is always an interesting gathering.
IMG_6577-1.JPG
IMG_6581.JPG
I've been down the Fleurieau coast south Adelaide where a lot of Radelaide people have their shacks & beach houses. I rented a place with my sister and her tribe for a week which was great with the exception of the variable weather!
IMG_6655.JPG
IMG_6629.JPG
Did a a little bit of exploring over to Waitpinga and Parson's beaches which are known surf breaks when the conditions are right. At Waitpinga there is a little memorial to a chap who used to live two doors up from me in Belair who was taken by a shark there.
IMG_6612-1.JPG
IMG_6618.JPG
Spotted a couple of Bays but no other splittys this year
IMG_6608.JPG
IMG_6625.JPG
Back down Willunga Hill - has anyone ever been able to climb this in a split in 4th gear?! The Comet was working hard in 3rd :shock:
IMG_6635.JPG
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

And thats pretty much a wrap - after about 8,646km's the Comet is going to be parked up at Mum's place while I fly back to Darwin. Not looking forward to going back to work after nearly 3 months off!

Speedo the day I left - 02755
IMG_5986.JPG
Speedo as of today - 11401
IMG_6657.JPG
Thanks for watching, who's next? :D
Wassa
DSKer

Post by Wassa »

Well done Cam, enjoyed your updates and photos, inspiring stuff mate, must do the same when my old girl is on the road . :D